Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Newbie question - Booking F ticket, not checking in, is my ticket lost?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2008, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat, Amex Plat, CSP. FAA Rotorcraft PPL

I'm sure this information is available in some good place, but my ninja googling skills are not great enough.

A couple of times, I have a confirmed F itinerary (domestic) when my travel plans change and I simply don't check into those flights.

I could have rebooked the ticket to a later date when I might have had a use for it, but now, since I didn't do that, is my ticket lost? Or can I actually ask united to use the old itinerary as I would when rebooking a ticket in the future?

Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2008, 7:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
It depends on the fare. If your tickets were non-refundable then they are lost if you didn't call in to cancel. You have up until the day of the flight to call, and then you have one year to use the value of the ticket towards a new ticket (less any applicable service fee).

Many F class fares are refundable though and if you had one of these you may still be able to get a refund if you call (if it has been less than a year since the flight).
Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
As the previous poster mentions, it all depends on your fare. If refundable, then you'll have some leeway. If it is a restricted ticket and you do not cancel before flight time, then you'll probably forego the value.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:18 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Premier Exec)
You're buying F tickets and just letting them go to waste (not cancelling with UA) when your plans change? You must be doing very well for yourself if you burn through money like that.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Some F, some A. I guess the A ones are gone then.

I have a very flexible spending account
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by salanki
Some F, some A. I guess the A ones are gone then.

Lucky you! ^ It depends on the fare code, not booking code. Some Hxxxx and Qxxxx fares book into A and are nonrefundable. They are not F fares. The true F fares are refundable and should be fine.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:34 am

Programs: UA1K, AAPlat, SPG-G
Originally Posted by salanki

Good for you! ^
You have received good answers - all depend on the fares that you booked!
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Jup, great answers, thanks guys!

(And I don't waste enough money to make GS atleast, so don't judge me )

Have a great weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.