Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Laptop PowerUp

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 1999, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

LAX Laptop PowerUp

Is there a valid security reason that requires travelers to power up their laptop computers when clearing security at the United gates at LAX? This is one of the few airports in the U.S. where I am required to do so.

United made promises when they moved their security gates last fall that this annoyance would go away, but it has not. Is there something special about security at LAX?
Old Mar 16, 1999, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, security at LAX is good and I think all airports should be as good or better. I don't remember United making any such promise about easing laptop security. The reason for booting up your laptop should be fairly obvious. Though not foolproof, it is harder for terrorists to rip out enough guts in a laptop to be able to have enough explosives to do their desired damage, and still have the thing start up. Booting up is a small incovience and I'm glad to do it if it makes for safer travel. This week they've been down for some reason, but on your next trip through LAX, be prepared to also have your laptop wiped with a cotton pad which is then put in an analyzer to check for microscopic explosive residue. On one of my trips the thing went off and they really took it seriously. It took about 15 minutes in a room of security folks before I was released. Just a fluke in my case, but they did say that people with Nitro Glycerin for heart conditions can have laptops they touch set the thing off. I don't mind all this one bit. Customs at LAX is very tight as well. Losta questions. I just came through SFO customs and just walked through! I was very surprised.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 03-16-99).]
Old Mar 17, 1999, 5:41 am
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
Also have heard that laptop thefts are lower at LAX due to the power up check. I agree that it's a great security measure. Somewhat inconvenient but my vote is for safety...
Old Mar 17, 1999, 11:31 am

Of course the real hassle with the power-up is that Windows 9X/NT takes so **** long to boot up, and if you shut it down by closing you leave it in "standby" mode which drains the battery by the end of a long flight.

The sniffers at LAX take a while but quicker than boot-up/shutdown. At Memphis, I was asked to take my laptop out of its bag before going through xray.

Also, if you are an aspiring terrorist, I don't think it would be all that difficult to make a laptop boot and put in explosives (maybe Toshiba should have a select-a-bay bomb option). A small amount of plastique could still do a lot of damage in the cabin. Based on this I think the boot up check is a bit of a waste of time - the sniffer is the way to go (but then, why just concentrate on the laptop?).
Old Mar 17, 1999, 11:59 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Great question, steiner! I was watching a program (either on TLC or Discovery) last night that showed state-of-the art airport security devices. On one, it looks like a metal detector. You walk in and it blows a puff of air at you, which it then "smells" and analyzes for explosives materials...all in a matter of seconds. Now THAT'S security!
Old Mar 17, 1999, 1:07 pm

Location: DEN, UA PE, Hilton Gold, ** Reactivate Delete Feature**
On a slight tangent, as someone who's been known to set of a firework or two on festive occasions, I wonder about the effects of playing with pyrotechnics shortly before being "sniffed".

-Q-
Old Mar 17, 1999, 1:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime PLT, Silver EK Skywards
I long time ago I had downloaded a file for my Mac Powerbook that was designed for airport powerups. By holding a key during startup, the screen would turn on and then within 10 seconds it turns itself off. Very cool little program.
Old Mar 17, 1999, 2:17 pm

Programs: Lots
LAX security has never made me actually boot into windows. They've always just wanted to see the BIOS screen. Then again, I always somehow manage to be at LAX when 40 other people are getting their laptop's inspected, so it may just be a "move on and get out" thing.
Old Mar 17, 1999, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SteinerboyLA, to answer your question as to why just sniffing laptops, I guess the answer is they don't. Today they wiped my carryon garment bag.
Old Mar 18, 1999, 6:30 am

Location: DEN, UA PE, Hilton Gold, ** Reactivate Delete Feature**
Flying from BOS last month my carryon was also sniffed. I'm not sure what profile I fit to get picked. I wasn't looking especially terroristy that day, I don't think

-Q-
Old Mar 18, 1999, 6:48 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I've found that when my cell phone is in my carry-on, I will nearly always get my bag wiped (especially if the recharge cord is in there, too.)

When I leave my cell phone at home, I my bag is almost never wiped. Circumstantial, but pretty consistent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.