Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's 747-400's

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 1999, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Location: Santa Barbara, CA USA: Round the World Travel, Star Alliance. United 1K, Lufthansa Senator, Singapore PPS
United's 747-400's

United has three versions of the 747-400, designated OP, OB and OA. The passenger capacities are, respectively 301, 372, and 418.

I seem to get either an OP or an OB when I fly Pacific routes into NRT or HKG. Does anyone know where the OA is deployed?

I would want to avoid the OA, as it has an extraordinarily dense Business Class seating configuration, with 40 Business Class seats upstairs, where they fit only 30 in the OP or OA. Perhaps it is for Hawaii service?

There is also the two class 747-100, with 450 seats, but I understand that is for Hawaii only, and not the international routes.
Old Jan 10, 1999, 8:53 pm
Original Member

I have noticed the' OA' version of the 747 on the LA to SYD and AKL services .
You are right when you say the top deck business class section is unpleasantly overcrowded. The only decent seats up there are the exit rows. Unfortunately, this space is where they store the food and drink trolleys for much of the flight .... really dangerous if they happen to fall!!
Only three airlines compete on the south Pacific run so I guess there is no commercial reason to provide a better service. ( although I have redently flown on a modern configuration aircraft , so maybe things are on the improve. )
Old Jan 10, 1999, 9:17 pm
Original Member

The 747-100 is also flown at 3:35pm from ORD to SFO. Try and avoid this at all costs. 42 F + 408 Coach make it very difficult to upgrade even as a 1K (clears morning of departure) This flight then goes on to honululu
Old Jan 28, 1999, 10:20 am

The 'OP' version has to be flown on the ORD-HKG route (one of the longest flights in the world). To achieve the non-stop (did anyone have the experience of a refuelling stop?)west-bound flight, they had to limit the MTOW, so they chose to "unpack" the Business Class!
Old Jan 28, 1999, 11:10 am

I flew the LAX - Auckland - Melbourne root at the end of last year and got a newly configured (business class) 747-400 series outbound, with great new seats (built in massager - ahhh). Not quite as good as British Airways clubworld (the UA seats have less legroom) but still decent.

BUT, on the return, I had the (I think) OA version, with horribly cramped business class seats upstairs. The WORST business class I have ever flown. No individual TVs, zero legroom, uncomfortable seats. Yuk. I was told that all Pacific planes were to be updated by early this year.
Old Jan 28, 1999, 9:47 pm
mgm

United will have to watch out on the Australia - US routes. QANTAS have begun to deploy their newly configured 747-400's. Featuring the sleeper seats in first (like the BA cabin style first seats) and the new business class seat (same as the BA Cradle seat). My last flight to the US in mid January was on one of these. I can honestly say nothing compares to having your own 6'6" bed on a 14 hour flight - and the food and wine service is extraordinary (how they manage to keep the stuff so fresh in flight beats me).
Old Jan 28, 1999, 10:08 pm
MMM

Programs: TK E+ *A GOLD, TAM OW Sapphire
mgm:

How do you position AirNZ compared with QF/UA ?? Are they any better ??

They claim to have the best Business Class (see www.airnz.co.nz) !

MMM

Old Jan 29, 1999, 12:30 am
mgm

MMM -- I've not flown the new config Air NZ, but some of my colleagues have and we compared notes. In first class their seats are still the standard 2x2 config, they don't fully recline (i.e. 180 degrees). If you want to watch a video you have to juggle one of those Sony Video Walkmans on your lap. The food is o.k. but comparable with most airlines. In business, the seat is very similar to the BA/QF one.

The QF product features of First Class that stand out to me and differentiate QF from the rest (with the exception of BA):
1) true sleeper seats in first
2) choice of a seat by yourself (they call this a window and an aisle seat!) or if travelling with a companion you can get two seats together (in the middle of the cabin)
3) a personal video unit that is built into the side wall out of harms way that you can view the main cabin and business class programs or choose a video(from a library that usually has around 50 titles)
4) adjustable task light at the side of the seat(great for the bed configuration and you want to read before dozing off)
5) food and wine service that I have yet to find equalled on any airline (their menus for first and business were designed by Neil Perry, a famous Australian restauranteur). You really feel like you are dining in a restaurant with the large table that pulls out from the side wall and laid with linen table cloth and full size cutlery, china and glass ware. And most importantly you can push the table forward far enough so you can get out of your seat with ease without having to juggle the meal in front of you.
6) the toilets are cool (believe it or not!). They are 20% bigger than normal so you don't feel like a contortionist when slipping into your complimentary sleep wear. Lot's of mirrors and excellent lighting. It has a window you can see out of in flight (on the ground it is discreetly frosted - how do they do that?). A good selection of Orlane amenities. Cotton hand towels.
7) dedicated first class FA's. Regular FA's have to apply for the position (and I believe the competition is tough) and receive a thorough training in the product. Which means they know about the wines and the food they are serving.

Where do I think the QF product is lacking (any QF exec's listening)? I wish they had bigger TV screens (like the 14" ones that SQ are introducing). EmPower sockets for those of us that don't have enough laptop batteries for a 14 hour flight. In flight telephones. They should update the amenity kits with aromtherapy products (like the ones BA and NZ have). Provide pre-flight dining for late night flights (particularly the Asia - OZ routes). Have an arrivals lounge in LAX.

Having waxed lyrical on QF First Class I have to admit that up to a couple of months ago QF's business class sucked wind - the food was dreadful and the service was average at best. This was a shame because QF invented business class (back in 1979) but had let the competition get ahead of them. The good news is that QF have realized the product needed to be updated and have introduced the Neil Perry style cuisine and are training the FA's to provide a more personal service.

The last time I took a UA flight was about 3 years ago in business class from MEL to LAX. I think I must have been on one of the OA configs. At 6'2" I felt incredibly cramped. The only inflight entertainment was the regular main cabin screenings - shown on the over head TV monitors. The food was forgettable. I have heard that UA is bringing in new seats which sound really good, however I doubt I will get to try them (too entrenched with oneWorld now).

My ranking of the carriers on the Pacific - US routes would be: 1)QF, 2)NZ, 3)UA (heavily biaised but supplemented with experiences of my colleagues).

ps - I don't work for any of the oneWorld carriers, just had my fair share of flights with them

[This message has been edited by mgm (edited 01-29-99).]
Old Jan 31, 1999, 7:07 pm
Original Member

I have just returned from SYD on UA to SFO. Sadly the aircraft was an"OA"configuration and business class was almost full.
I was told that this type would be discontinued later this year.
One disappointment was their wine cellar, not so much the quality but the quantity !
About seven hours into the fourteen hour run, business class had no champagne or chardonnay remaining. The FA explained that the airline is cutting back on wine supplies to reduce costs!!
After paying over $4000 return, the sardine can like cabin and non existent white wines makes me think more positively of the Australian airline next time!

Old Mar 6, 1999, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Location: Santa Barbara, CA USA: Round the World Travel, Star Alliance. United 1K, Lufthansa Senator, Singapore PPS
I can now answer my own question. I flew HKG SFO on UA 806 last month, and it was an OA. I did not notice at first, as I was in seat 4B in First. But when I walked back I noticed incredible density in Business Class (and not worth the business class fare).

I asked the Purser, and she did not know, but she asked the pilot, who advised that the three oldest 747-400's were delivered in this configuration (before OP and OB), and that they just havent got around to retrofitting them yet. But they are scheduled to be retrofitted this year, with the new First Class sleeper seat (suite), and the OB Business Class pitch, with the new seat.

So, getting the OA is the luck of the draw. I would be very unhappy if I paid the full business class fare and had a 16 hour OA flight ORD HKG.

Other than the three OA's, all the other 400's are OP or OB.
Old Mar 12, 1999, 11:17 am
Original Member

Just flew SYD-SFO yesterday in F class on a UA 747-400. 'New' seats, but I doubt that these would be called 'Sleeper Suite'. They are just like large C-class seats, with electronic adjustments and a video player built in. No privacy screens, no 180% degree recline, no 'flat bed'. The seat was not overly comfortable for a First class seat. Not at all comparable to the SQ, QF or BA F-Class product.

Do love the noise reducing headsets. Excellent!

Service was okay, but not great. The Champagne was wonderful, but it appears UA is cutting back on food cost - no caviar, only four courses, that didn't seem that different from C-class. Even the menu seemed to be printed in a cheaper way than before.

Old Mar 12, 1999, 12:02 pm

Programs: AAExecPlat MM, DL MM, HH Platinum
New Zealand business class is great--upstairs cabin is very roomy with 2*2 seating. Seems like all the planes have now been refitted with the improved seats in all classees. Downstairs business class is 2*2*2. Good food and nice wine selection. Excellent service--walkman videos in each seat. Movie selection is pretty poor--on one flight only thing interesting was "Easy Rider" and found it pretty sad to be paying Business Class and watching a $1 video. ANZ's film selections in both business and coach are pretty bad--it's The Water Boy this month. In addition, the coach class in ANZ is close to what we now get in first on American carriers in the US. Seats are not as wide, but comfortable and have footrests, food is good, and service is good. Much better coach class across the Pacific than United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.