Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United First Loads to Honolulu

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2008, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Smile United First Loads to Honolulu

First off, I apologize to anyone who has seen this thread on Airliners.net, but it just seems it would work out more logically if I had this threat posted in this forum seeing as its an all United Airlines forum!

So I wanted to see how many people in the forums would know about the loads to Honolulu this fall in first class. I'm currently flying RIC-IAD-SFO-HNL on 30 Oct 08 and HNL-LAX-ORD-RICon 5 Nov 08 and a 1k has sponsored a CR1 for my upgrade to First. This is my first vacation in years and it's a pretty sweet deal. I got the ticket for $500 and I'm staying at the Hale Koa, the military resort in Honolulu. So I want to be comfortable all the way there and back so I have a nice trip. However, when I upgraded, all my flights were confirmed in First except the IAD-SFO, SFO-HNL and my return flight HNL-LAX. When I called United, they said all seats available for upgrade have been taken.

United informed me that all available seats are revenue seats and aren't upgrade eligible until 72 hours prior to departure. Because I am a Premier member and my upgrade was sponsored by a 1k, I have been put on the PA Priority Waitlist for the upgrade. However, what I was wonderin from the forum, especially those who work for United here on the forums, was what my chances were of actually making those First class seats to and from Honolulu. The IAD-SFO loads on the website seem to have about 25 open seats, the SFO-HNL currently has 18 open seats and the HNL-LAX is pretty much wide open with just over 20 seats.

Any information will help. I know there are several passengers that don't show up or take an earlier flight on departure days, but Hawaii is also a large route for UGS and 1ks that could steal my seats before departure. Do these flights usually clear for upgrades prior to day of departure? Or day of? Also, the upgrades were applied about a month in advance of the flight, is that a good amount of time to make it to the top of the waitlist? I know upgrades clear first on, first off prior to the day of departure... So, all you United experts and employees out there, if you could help me out I'd REALLY appreciate it!

Brent M. Burklo
USAFO1

Last edited by USAF_O1; Oct 6, 2008 at 3:31 am Reason: Error
Old Oct 6, 2008, 7:06 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
First, welcome to FT!

Second, I've got to comment on what an optimist you must be to say that, "all my flights were confirmed in First except the IAD-SFO, SFO-HNL", which apparently means that you confirmed only RIC-IAD (outbound)?

Regardless, I assume you were gifted 2 CR1s, 1 out, 1 in? Anyway, time (the 72 hours you post of) is irrelevent when using confirmed upgrade instruments. You'll clear when IM opens NF space. Also, I don't know how you arrived at specific numbers of open seats, but I suspect that whatever source you've used, it is inaccurate.

Finally, while Hawai'i is a popular upgrade route, I don't think it is particularly GS and 1K heavy. Other than that I won't speculate on your chances, but I will wish you good luck!
Old Oct 6, 2008, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Gre,

Thanks for your reply. The 72hrs was quoted by United Reservations, so that was according to them... I thought it was irrelevant to, it might just be the agent trying to give me a quick fix. The upgrades were sponsored by a 1k, and yes it was one outbound and one inbound. The RIC-IAD was a 1class aircraft, so no upgrade possible there. I'm always usually optimistic about things because its better than being pessimistic, except sometimes its hard because it looks as if these upgrades aren't going to happen, in which case its going to be a long flight in E+. I arrived at the numbers on the UA website, that was just me counting the available seats on the seat map, which is most likely inaccurate as you said because I'm sure many haven't even picked a seat yet, but I like looking at it the opposite way and thinking there are open seats I really want these upgrades and this is the first time i've ever really had a problem upgrading segments before. If what you say is tru about UGS/1ks and not too many flying these segments, then I might have a fair shot... we'll see though.

Any advice?
Old Oct 6, 2008, 8:13 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by USAF_O1

Any advice?
If your upgrades don't clear 24 hour prior to the flight, there's not a lot you can do. The only thing to help your cause is, precisely at the 24 hour mark before your first flight, CHECK IN ON LINE. If it becomes an 'upgrade at the gate' issue, if you're competing with other 2Ps on similar fares, the 3rd tiebreaker is time checked in. (Technically, it's the time you're added to the Departure Management [DM] list, which you'll actually be on the longer flights well ahead of the 24 hour time frame). BTW, nothing for you to do, when you're checked in with a waitlisted upgrade, you're automatically added to the DM list.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
There's really nothing you can do but wait. My wife and I have had tickets SFO-HNL-LAX for 25Oct-2Nov for a month or so, and the upgrade inventory to first in or out of HNL has been nil since we purchased the tickets. I've been watching and it looks like Inventory Managment hasn't been opening upgrades until the Day of travel ;(

So just be patient, you'll probably be successful.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 8:20 am

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
First off, I apologize to anyone who has seen this thread on Airliners.net, but it just seems it would work out more logically if I had this threat posted in this forum seeing as its an all United Airlines forum!

So I wanted to see how many people in the forums would know about the loads to Honolulu this fall in first class. I'm currently flying RIC-IAD-SFO-HNL on 30 Oct 08 and HNL-LAX-ORD-RICon 5 Nov 08 and a 1k has sponsored a CR1 for my upgrade to First. This is my first vacation in years and it's a pretty sweet deal. I got the ticket for $500 and I'm staying at the Hale Koa, the military resort in Honolulu. So I want to be comfortable all the way there and back so I have a nice trip. However, when I upgraded, all my flights were confirmed in First except the IAD-SFO, SFO-HNL and my return flight HNL-LAX. When I called United, they said all seats available for upgrade have been taken.

United informed me that all available seats are revenue seats and aren't upgrade eligible until 72 hours prior to departure. Because I am a Premier member and my upgrade was sponsored by a 1k, I have been put on the PA Priority Waitlist for the upgrade. However, what I was wonderin from the forum, especially those who work for United here on the forums, was what my chances were of actually making those First class seats to and from Honolulu. The IAD-SFO loads on the website seem to have about 25 open seats, the SFO-HNL currently has 18 open seats and the HNL-LAX is pretty much wide open with just over 20 seats.

Any information will help. I know there are several passengers that don't show up or take an earlier flight on departure days, but Hawaii is also a large route for UGS and 1ks that could steal my seats before departure. Do these flights usually clear for upgrades prior to day of departure? Or day of? Also, the upgrades were applied about a month in advance of the flight, is that a good amount of time to make it to the top of the waitlist? I know upgrades clear first on, first off prior to the day of departure... So, all you United experts and employees out there, if you could help me out I'd REALLY appreciate it!

Brent M. Burklo
USAFO1
Brent - it looks like you are a 2LT (I'm Guessing USAF O-1 - I'm a "retired" USN O-3). If so, I believe if you are in uniform, you can visit the RCC for free - also look at other options day of travel for u/g to clear
Old Oct 6, 2008, 8:54 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
... I'm always usually optimistic about things because its better than being pessimistic, except sometimes its hard because it looks as if these upgrades aren't going to happen, in which case its going to be a long flight in E+...Any advice?
I wasn't trying to bring you down, I just thought the way you worded things was a bit humorous.

Actually, I think you have a reasonable chance since you got on the upgrade list early and CR1s have priority.

Also, E+ on that route isn't that bad because you break up the trip by stopping at SFO/LAX.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 9:52 am
Original Poster

ORDOGG,

Indeed I am a newly commissioned 2LT currently on casual status until late Nov. before going to flight training. I am taking this time off to get some good vaca time in before going active. My father is a retired O6 and we used to go to the Hale Koa almost every year for vacation. It's a great deal if you can find the time.

I guess its hurry up and wait just like the military with these upgrades. I placed the upgrade at the beginning of the month so hopefully thats enough time to get high on the waitlist. If it comes down to the day of departure, not sure how I'll do. I was also under the impression that Prem Assoc. had the same status as Premier, but from what I've been reading it looks like I'm even further down the list and just above Gen. Mem. I'm not much of a patient guy, so this is difficult for me especially since I had my hopes up with a "Confirmed" regional upgrade... haha

Thanks for the advice guys, any other comments/suggestions would be much appreciated! United employees, feel free to chime in or help me out if you have some info!

Brent

Originally Posted by ordogg
also look at other options day of travel for u/g to clear
What other options do I have on Day of departure?

Brent

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 6, 2008 at 10:11 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Oct 6, 2008, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ordogg
Brent - it looks like you are a 2LT (I'm Guessing USAF O-1 - I'm a "retired" USN O-3). If so, I believe if you are in uniform, you can visit the RCC for free - also look at other options day of travel for u/g to clear
Brent:

Congrats on your commissioning.

Just as a friendly reminder, AFI 36-2903 specifically prohibits USAF personnel from upgrading while in uniform, so I would skip wearing your blues to try to get into the Red Carpet Club (and I'm not even sure they allow uniformed personnel in for free). You're not missing much anyways.

Originally Posted by AFI 36-2903
Air Force personnel may not wear their military uniforms when using frequent flyer miles
to upgrade to business or first class. Thus, even when an upgrade to business or first class accommodations is legitimate, military personnel should avoid wearing the uniform to avoid the public perception of the misuse of government travel resources, which generates
unnecessary complaints.
I understand why the Air Force designed this rule, but I bet I would have gotten much better service on many flights had I been able to wear my uniform. Oh well--that's not why we wear the uniform.

I flew from EWR-LIH via LAX in May and I thought for sure that my upgrade would not clear from LAX-LIH. I had a CR-1 applied two months before the trip and the flight was down to F1 a couple weeks before departure. But sure enough, the upgrade cleared at the gate at LAX and there were five additional F seats open. So never lose hope.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 11:21 am
Original Poster

MatthewLAX,

Thanks for the reply, and I didn't intend on wearing my uniform. I want to keep away from wearing that as much as I can when traveling because it just isn't comfortable. Not to mention the fact that this is vacation for me so I never planned on it. Secondly, it's great to hear that there is always hope, but I saw you are a 1k flyer and I'm only Prem Assoc. so you still had a MUCH better chance of making the upgrade than I have... but I still won't lose hope, it would just be REALLY GREAT if things worked out!

Brent
Old Oct 6, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
I flew SFO-HNL on Sep 26 and HNL-SFO on Oct 4 and tried to use E-500 upgrades on both segments - here is what happened.

Both Segments were showing F9 on day of departure (upgrade was X0 on both days)

My Sep 26 upgrade cleared on the day of departure and my Oct 4 did not (but at least I had an exit row). Both flights went out first class full.

I knew it was going to be tough even as a 1P - but at least one flight cleared...

Last edited by marcg11; Oct 6, 2008 at 12:02 pm Reason: spelling
Old Oct 6, 2008, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA: 1P, SPG: PLT
A couple of comments, you are placed on the upgrade list based on your sponsors 1K level, not your own, so that will help with your priority on the list.

IM may not release the seats until closer to the flight date and right now it look like first is still pretty available. Check out http://www.seatcounter.com and you can see how the seat availability is looking. Right now most of your flights look to be pretty open.

to understand the fare classes look at
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113792
Old Oct 6, 2008, 1:51 pm

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
once the flight goes into DM, you are on your own status and from the looks of it, it may not clear till DM.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA GS
MatthewLAX,

Thanks for the reply, and I didn't intend on wearing my uniform. I want to keep away from wearing that as much as I can when traveling because it just isn't comfortable. Not to mention the fact that this is vacation for me so I never planned on it. Secondly, it's great to hear that there is always hope, but I saw you are a 1k flyer and I'm only Prem Assoc. so you still had a MUCH better chance of making the upgrade than I have... but I still won't lose hope, it would just be REALLY GREAT if things worked out!

Brent
Can you give flight numbers please.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 3:40 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Not knowing the actual load factor, in general, flights are more likely to clear:

1. Monday through Thursday
2. Aircrafts with more F seats like 2 class 767 (34 F seats) and 777 (36 F seats) vs 757 (24 F seats)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.