Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Washington Times - United Admits to StarNet Blocking!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington Times - United Admits to StarNet Blocking!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UAFlyer
...And she explained once the flights are sold out, they won't show up on her system. Yeah right
This really angers me. Whenever an agent makes such a statement I always attempt to "educate" them and usually they will listen. I wish UA would do the educating.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 5:23 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM, AA Gold, MR Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond
Another data point to confirm block

Earlier this week, ANA tool showed LH availability on the routes I needed on the dates I needed, both F and C class. 1K rep couldn't see it. When I mentioned that ANA was showing availability, he said he wasn't surprised and that UA had blocked LH and others. He thought it was just for "the quarter," but he wasn't sure. First time I've had a 1K rep admit to blocking. Subsequent reps (for different routes, also showing availability) fell back to the "must be sold out" mantra.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 6:33 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I called a few hours ago and was able to switch from an LH flight to an LX flight on the exact day I wanted. As you may recall I posted here perhaps two weeks ago (shortly after the 1st of June) and the agent couldn't get me anything in LX C +/- 2 days of when I wanted.

There are two flights ZRH-JFK and she couldn't get me on the later one (my preference), but both are showing operated by a 333 which should be a new-config (fully-lie-flat) C product. I must say I'm fairly satisfied with the outcome (except for the additional $6 in taxes... ). ^
Old Jun 21, 2009, 6:46 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by kluau88
SQ from SFO-SIN has been pretty much been off limits for F/J awards probably as of late 2008 when it was announced that SQ 1/2 was going from the 744 to 77W. SQ 15/16 has been using the 77W or quite some time now.

SQ 1/2 has been using the 77W from about mid-January 2009.
frustrating but true re SQ. I am about to come back on a trip to Asia, needed 5 seats. no problem getting 3 c and 2Y in ANA (with stop in Japan) - great service by the way on their new C - but zero zilch on SQ trying nearly daily on ANA SFO-HKG, also zippo on UA - they did not release a single C seat. I got C, but only because as a GS I can use certificates, which they were able to clear at the airport.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by FormerLurker
When I mentioned that ANA was showing availability, he said he wasn't surprised and that UA had blocked LH and others.
+1. I've had an agent (although it's a she) and she admitted that United does block award availability. I am glad she knows that it's United that's blocking award availability, not their partners!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 3:56 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
Not sure if this has been reported (it certainly should have been), but it is now impossible to secure an award seat on NZ SYD-AKL direct flights. If you can get an award at all, you will be sent via CHC.

Looking at the ANA website, there is availability every day in Y and C, but UA can't "see" it.

Talk about MP being devalued.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:33 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by Budley
Not sure if this has been reported (it certainly should have been), but it is now impossible to secure an award seat on NZ SYD-AKL direct flights. If you can get an award at all, you will be sent via CHC.

Looking at the ANA website, there is availability every day in Y and C, but UA can't "see" it.

I got 2 WAS-SFO-SYD-AKL-SYD-LAX-WAS in late Oct - mid Nov return
SYD- AKL was in NZ C, but I was surprised
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:08 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Thumbs up available on UA but not on US ?reverse blocking?

Originally Posted by ffI
I got 2 WAS-SFO-SYD-AKL-SYD-LAX-WAS in late Oct - mid Nov return
SYD- AKL was in NZ C, but I was surprised
I cant believe I did it again
C Class
PHL-FRA-MAA-FRA-PHL in summer peak travel season
Not available on US? but given to me by UA 1 hr later!!
wow!
This starnet blocking exists, so I am trying to burn MP miles
but am I using up my MP miles too fast instead of my DM miles?

This must be random LH blocking, not logical blocking @:-)
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:54 pm

Are you sure? As my recent experience was different though...

Last edited by FlyMan; Jun 23, 2009 at 12:09 am
Old Jun 23, 2009, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by gbsfo
Yeah....but...err..you do know what this thread is about right? You don't always need to book that far in advance. There is usually decent availability in LH TATL fairly close in, especially in the summer, as seen using the ANA tool, but this is seemingly blocked by UA.
Yes, you have always needed to book far in advance for late summer (I'm talking August) flights. I've been doing this with both UA and AF miles for about 10 years now and it has always been the case. Maybe the UA blocking is making the situation worse, but it has always been difficult because of so many people taking vacations in August. Both Americans and Europeans.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist

Not that I'd mind going through CHC, but I had no trouble getting a SYD-AKL n/s NZ flight for Sept just last week. Two seats in C.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 2:45 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Seriously UA

SQ flights in Y blocked

Showing as available on ANA. Nada, zilch on multiple calls to UA.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 5:07 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
Originally Posted by kluau88
Seriously UA

SQ flights in Y blocked

Showing as available on ANA. Nada, zilch on multiple calls to UA.
Yes, they do seem to be getting worse.

I'm really thinking of status matching to AA next year, particularly as I'm currently in Australia and the QF fit would be good. As a MM and 1K next year I have very little to lose. But UA does.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, they do seem to be getting worse.

I'm really thinking of status matching to AA next year, particularly as I'm currently in Australia and the QF fit would be good. As a MM and 1K next year I have very little to lose. But UA does.
No status matches on AA.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 11:36 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Has anyone gotten any seats on Air China recently? I can't get anything in any class, domestic or intl. All I'm being offered is Shanghai Airlines, which I'm trying to avoid as it requires a paper ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.