Wiki Posts
Search

UA Executive Premier question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 1998, 9:59 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

UA Executive Premier question

About a month ago, I faxed a letter to United along with photocopies of my Northwest WorldPerks Gold statements. Today, United informed me that they have promoted me to Executive Premier status through the end of 1998.

My question... with this mid-level status, will I be upgraded to first class on a space availability basis on day of departure without any sort of upgrade coupons or is this not something I should expect to happen?
Old Aug 24, 1998, 10:16 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
with UA this "happens" only on all Shuttle flights - for free (you have to apply at the gate, who comes first serves first).

On the other flights, if you are not very lucky (on a full eco-flight the may upgrade you for free), you have to give them 500er-mile-upgrade.coupons (you can buy them at check-in - I think for PremEx they are US$200 for 4 Coupons=2'000 miles) - with those Coupons you can ask (at booking-time or any time thereafter) for a 72hours-in -advance-confirmable-upgrade.

For every 10'000 real UA flight-miles you get 4 times 500 upgrade-miles Coupons free - after a long-waiting-time ...
Old Aug 24, 1998, 11:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I wouldn't expect to be upgraded on United, EVER, without some sought of upgrade coupons. In my experience, United is consistently the tightest airline when it comes to handing out free upgrades. In addition, I believe (not 100% sure) that they charge more than any of the other airlines for upgrade certificates. If upgrades are what you really want, you'd be better off on Continental.
Old Aug 24, 1998, 12:04 pm
Original Member

Don't be to hard with UA: I have so many FREE upgrade-certificates from them (for inner Canada/Mexico/Puerto-Rico/USA incl Hawaii and Alaska travel) I will about half of them exchange at the end of the year for mile-credit.

And as a 1K this year ALL flights for which I asked a (100 hours in advance-confirmable upgrade) have been upgraded.

Already basic Premier-Members get 4 certificates (each for 500 flight-miles-upgrade) for every 10'000 UA-flight-miles and in add we got (number depending on Status) some (4?) comfirmable at booking-time one-segment coupons free in january and as a surprise (from PremEx up): 2 international-one-segment "for the asking at the gate" coupons good with any Star-Alliance-partner (time-limited: sep-nov).
Old Aug 24, 1998, 12:43 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Please explain in more detail:

Am I to understand that if you do not use the upgrade coupons issued by UA, you can cash them in for miles?
Old Aug 24, 1998, 12:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Rudi, sorry you feel I shouldn't be too hard on UA, but quite frankly they deserve it. Yes, they do hand out upgrade certificates but that is connected to the number of flight miles you accumulate (and as you say it takes forever to get them). MileageAddict's question related to upgrading WITHOUT coupons and I'll stand by my original statement: don't EVER expect to be upgraded on UA without a coupon. (I will add that oversold flight conditions are a potential exception). UA is worlds apart from CO when it comes to upgrades. You can refer to the CO postings for more detail about CO's very liberal upgrade policy - with or without coupons.
Old Aug 24, 1998, 1:00 pm
Original Member

MileageAddict: yes - the unused free vouchers I can trade them in against UA-miles (only as a Premier and up).
Old Aug 24, 1998, 1:03 pm
Original Member

I don't dare to judge Continental, I can't compare CO with UA, I haven't flown CO ever.

Just one thing: as a +K (I think also as PremEx) with UA-Shuttle the standby-upgrade at the door is free and without coupons (but chances are little).

Old Aug 24, 1998, 1:39 pm
Commander Catcop

I am satisfied with United, but I don't take
any chances. I have two coupons books in
my frequent flyer "pouch or billfold or whatever you call that thing I carry all my
cards in." Of my last six flights, four were
complementary upgrades, two I had to use
the coupons.

A few at the EWR call me the "coupon king"
because they know I carry coupons. Sometimes
even though of the grocery variety somehow
end up in my ff pouch. Or Billfold. Or case.
CATMAN
Old Aug 25, 1998, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rudi, just FYI, the free standby upgrade without certs on Shuttle flights applies only to 1K's. It does not apply to PE's.
Old Aug 25, 1998, 12:31 pm
Commander Catcop

That's why I hope to reach Premier 1K this
year but the way my company's talking they
need me more there than flying all over the
place.

But satisfied with Premier Executive, even if
I have to carry the coupons around. CATMAN
Old Sep 5, 1998, 10:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 2 Million Mile Flyer, LifeTime Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Premier exec is 72 hours in advance.Need coupons to upgrade on all United Mainliner flights including 1k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.