Wiki Posts
Search

Tight UA to LH Connection in FRA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
Tight UA to LH Connection in FRA

I'll flying into FRA from SFO arriving at 9:45am on UA and then connecting to LH to DME at 10:45am on a single ticket. UA indicates that 1hr is sufficient time for the international connection. I remember the UA arrival area is a long distance from the LH gates. For travellers who are familar with FRA, practically, is one hour enough time for this connection? And have people had lost or misconnected luggage with such a tight connection at FRA? We start a long trip from Moscow a day later and the luggage would have a tough time catching up.

Thanks

Last edited by sfonorth; Sep 22, 2008 at 11:41 pm
Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:39 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sfonorth
I'll flying into FRA from SFO arriving at 9:45am on UA and then connecting to LH to DME at 10:45am. UA indicates that 1hr is sufficient time for the international connection. I remember the UA arrival area is a long distance from the LH gates. For travellers who are familar with FRA, practically, is one hour enough time for this connection? And have people had lost or misconnected luggage with such a tight connection at FRA? We start a long trip from Moscow a day later and the luggage would have a tough time catching up.

Thanks
Doable but it is tight. If you're flight from SFO is late, or if you have to de-plane into vans and then transport to the terminal, you'll be running to your gate after you clear immigration and security. I had a similar length connection from a flight from SFO and had to run the length of the A terminal to get there just before they closed the door.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:05 am

I would wear your running shoes. Also make sure that they they print you a boarding pass for the connection ahead of time. I don't know why but twice now UA has refused to print me an LH BP and I have to go get one printed out after I land in FRA.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:15 am

I believe that we have a FRA connection thread on either the LH or the Germany forum which may help.

I am a frequent FRA connecter but not to US bound flights, and as an EU citizen I think that I connect a little quicker ie there seems to never be a wait for our passport control but I often see a wait for non-EU.

Having said that, I like to give myself at least a 2 hr connection time in FRA whenever possible. Invariably my longhaul LH flights have bus deplaning.

Honestly, I don't have much advice other than to check out the FRA connection thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=712844

Last edited by exbayern; Sep 23, 2008 at 12:18 am Reason: added link
Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Yes, I flew in recently on the same SFO-FRA flight with a 2 hour connection and spent >1 hour in the business class lounge. Alas, you may be sent on those retarded shuttle buses (my pet peeve - unacceptable at a world class airport) which will cut into your lounge time. And yes, it is indeed a long walk from UA to the LH wing, but you should make it. Unlike the U.S. there is no passport or customs for transiting passengers, though the GAs will check your passport before you enter the boarding area. I don't recall going thru additional security either except when flying back to the USA, though there was no wait at those checkpoints either.

Don't stress it.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 3:58 am

Programs: Some, not all.
I've had a UA to LH flight connection in FRA in 40 minutes (UA delayed), after a brisk walk across the airport we got to our gate with time to sapre.

I was hugely surprised when our bags appeared on the belt at our final destination.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:59 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
You don't indicate what class you're flying in. IME, LH is very good about meeting premium cabin pax with tight connections. Personally, I'd be quite comfortable with the booking as long as it wasn't in coach. Of course, I'd be uncomfortable if it were in coach regardless of the connection length
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doable, but I'd scheme out a Plan B just in case.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Erasmus
IME, LH is very good about meeting premium cabin pax with tight connections. )
For F pax yes. C pax, no. I was on a late MUC FRA BKK with FRA BKK in F on a TG flight and got picked up by a Porsche Cayenne due to late arrival.
Two weeks later MUC FRA NYC in C. Also remote parking on a late incoming flight but had to take the bus.

For me even the 45 mins MCT in FRA is comfortable and I never had to wear my running shoes.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Plat 1MM
Originally Posted by grizzles
I would wear your running shoes. Also make sure that they they print you a boarding pass for the connection ahead of time. I don't know why but twice now UA has refused to print me an LH BP and I have to go get one printed out after I land in FRA.
I'm heading to FRA this afternoon and then connecting on LH. The UA site could not generate an LH BP, but I was able to check in for the LH connection separately on lufthansa.com and print my BP.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:16 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
This is non-Schengen to non-Schengen. Shouldn't (key word) this be a relatively fast connection? There should be no immigration in FRA right? Or am I missing something about FRA?
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:35 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
This is non-Schengen to non-Schengen. Shouldn't (key word) this be a relatively fast connection?
Depends on the gates. If he lands at C, he'll need two security scans to make it to his gate. If he lands at A or gets the bus, it's only one.

To the OP, one hour is not impossible, but it can be very tight. DME is probably a bus gate, and the second bus leaves 15-20 minutes before departure. So you are really talking 40 minutes. Two security checks and a long walk makes this tight.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
Thanks for all the tips. We're flying on confirmed upgraded C but connecting to economy LH. Unless I was misinformed, there isn't a mechanism to use miles to upgrade from economy LH. Can I redeem a MP award for business class seats on LH? But this would be on a separate itinerary and I was afraid UA wouldn't check in luggage all the way to DME from SFO if the two segments were on separate locators. The next LH flight to DME is 4 hours later so at least we have a back-up.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 1:19 pm

You should have no problem.
There is no immigration or additional screening, as you are going non-Schengen to non-Schengen.
If you get in on a bus, you will be in the B Terminal. The gates are either A B or C Terminal. You can always take the skytrain to connect between the BC and the A Terminal. Where you enter it, is automatically on the "secure" side, so again no additional screening.
1 h is more than enough for the bags too.

In case that your SFO-FRA is late, well that is another issue.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 1:24 pm
hch

Originally Posted by flyaddict
You should have no problem.
There is no immigration or additional screening, as you are going non-Schengen to non-Schengen.
If you get in on a bus, you will be in the B Terminal. The gates are either A B or C Terminal. You can always take the skytrain to connect between the BC and the A Terminal. Where you enter it, is automatically on the "secure" side, so again no additional screening.
1 h is more than enough for the bags too.

In case that your SFO-FRA is late, well that is another issue.
Actually for quite a while there is an additional screening whenever you get off the Skytrain in the non-Schengen area. It's utterly braindead, but that's the way it is..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.