Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAX - Shuttle America - "Champagne"?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:09 am
Original Poster

UAX - Shuttle America - "Champagne"?

So on my return last Friday from MSY-IAD-ALB, I was offered a pre-departure plastic cup of champagne. It was served in little plastic champagne cups. The flight was UAX op. by Shuttle America.

I asked the FA if this was something new and he said they always had champagne. I hardly fly Shuttle America, but I have and I've never been offered champagne before.

They did mis-cater the cups (Delta cups) for this flight, so I was thinking they miscatered some champagne too...but he definitely said that it was standard.

Has anyone else seen this before?
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:47 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Ahh, the life of luxury. Champagne, plastic cups, and regional jets.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Originally Posted by chrislacey
So on my return last Friday from MSY-IAD-ALB, I was offered a pre-departure plastic cup of champagne. It was served in little plastic champagne cups. The flight was UAX op. by Shuttle America.
Cripes, I would have finished the bottle myself just for the novelty of it all. I've certainly never heard of this. Best guess is a catering mixup with a DL flight, and a big one, at that.

The sparkling wine would go wonderfully with that canned pasta from the explus boxes, may they rest in bionondegradable peace.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
I've got some Shuttle America routes coming up...can't wait to put this to the test.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:31 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by fadeforward
Cripes, I would have finished the bottle myself just for the novelty of it all.
Before you get too excited, I think it was a mini-bottle. ;-)

Seems like UX carriers have some leeway with what booze to stock, as a Mesa F/A gave me a really weird look when I had the audacity to ask for a Heineken.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1MM), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Since I'm based in South Florida, I've had the "pleasure" of using Shuttle America quite a few times (most recently last week). Not once I've been offered pre-departure champagne, so it must have been a one-time occurrence. I did get the entire can of Coke though
Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
The sparkling wine would go wonderfully with that canned pasta from the explus boxes, may they rest in bionondegradable peace.
I think the container was biodegradable, but the pasta definitely was not.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 7:17 am
Original Poster

I was really shocked too. I asked if it was a mistake and he said that they always had it. It was a fantastic crew - mostly b/c they had "champagne". I really thought it was a Delta/miscatering thing also, but he was very sure that he always had it available. I didn't see the actual bottle, but I'm also assuming it was a "mini bottle". Offered with orange juice and I made myself a mimosa. Great way to start a fantastic flight! ^
Old Sep 17, 2008, 2:23 pm

[QUOTE=chrislacey;10371817]

Ok here's the deal. No, the champagne was not misloaded. It's found on every Shuttle America flight. Pre-departure drinks are supposed to be water and OJ only, except by request for something else. We have the OPTION of offering mimosa's for pre-departure out of "warm/tropical" destinations (MIA/RSW). Again, this is option only. The champagne is not from a large bottle, but small individual bottles. Hopefully it was chilled - it is so rarely asked for that 95% of our flight attendants don't even put it on ice. (I don't think it's a very good one anyway IIRC).
And yes, UA gives us small plastic wine glasses to use for wine and champagne. If you had DL cups, you might have been on one of the two aircraft that can be used for either UA or DL. (However, these should be going to all UA interiors, etc as DL swaps out the 170s for 175s)
Old Sep 17, 2008, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by IndyWA
Ok here's the deal. No, the champagne was not misloaded. It's found on every Shuttle America flight.
Welcome to FT, IndyWA!

I really appreciate this information. I have a Shuttle America flight in NF next Friday, and I'll make a humble request for a mimosa, without expecting too much, of course.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info IndyWA! This matches completely with what I experienced. The FA in F was fantastic. It was most definitely chilled - although it was absolutely horrible. But still, I got a kick out of having it in F and even moreso on an express flight ^
Old Sep 17, 2008, 4:05 pm

Welcome to FT, IndyWA!

I really appreciate this information. I have a Shuttle America flight in NF next Friday, and I'll make a humble request for a mimosa, without expecting too much, of course.
If you get a blank stare, tell them it's champagne and OJ mixed. Some of our guys / girls aren't the brightest crayons in the box...much like elsewhere! I've been flying for various airlines for a long time (mostly working FC) so I pretty much hope I know what I'm doing! LOL

Originally Posted by chrislacey
Thanks for the info IndyWA! This matches completely with what I experienced. The FA in F was fantastic. It was most definitely chilled - although it was absolutely horrible. But still, I got a kick out of having it in F and even moreso on an express flight ^
I'm glad you had one of the good ones! We have a lot of those too. So just a warning to anyone that drinks it - we are not responsible for any possible side effects including nausea, gagging, or any other gastro-intestinal problems LOL
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:01 pm

If indeed they do have it, I'm sure it is sparkling white wine and not champagne.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
If indeed they do have it, I'm sure it is sparkling white wine and not champagne.
Nope - it is indeed champagne. Says so on the bottle anyway. I see it everyday - trust me.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 7:05 pm

All Hail Shuttle America

Wow, now I know another answer to the trivia question, "When does UX F beat UA domestic F?"

On the 30 minute CID-ORD segment earlier this week, I say soon after takeoff, "I've heard a rumor that you have champagne, is that true?" A fantastic FA beams and says, yes we do! A fellow flyer nearby noticably perks up. I order a mimosa, he orders the champagne (served in the plastic champagne PDB glasses you see in int'l C), and we knock back three drinks each in the blissful half hour.

Listen up, UA. Your UX partner is the only place you can get champagne in non-PS domestic F? Seriously? Your cutbacks on HNL F look positively nickle and dimey compared to the great service available on a 30-min Shuttle America flight to O'Hare!

IndyWA, would this agent get in trouble if I explicitly wrote UA about her champagne service? Are they technically allowed to serve it, I mean? Oh, and you're right, she did mention that she'd never made a mimosa before, and asked me about the proper ratio, chuckle.

Oh, and this is the bottle, I think: http://www.boissetfamilyestates.com/....aspx?PrdId=68

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.