Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight status checking beside UA website?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2008, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Flight status checking beside UA website?

Schedule to take UA 853 (SFO-NRT-TPE) today 9/12. Check flight status on UA website, it says the NRT-TPE portion of the flight on 9/13 is cancelled.

Called UA 1K desk, they insist the flight on 9/13 from NRT to TPE will operate as planed.

I have been on the phone for more than 50 min with 1K agent but we can't sort it out if the NRT to TPE flight is on or not. I don't want to take the SFO-NRT flight and get holdup at NRT so really need to find out if I should go to airport today.

Seems UA website shows me something different than what UA agent sees. I've taken a screen shot and sent it to the agent twice but the enclosure seems not been received.

According to weather report, there is a typhoon (cat 4) is approaching Taiwan so I am not surprised we won't be able to land in Taipei on 9/13. My question is any place else beside united.com can give me reliable information about the flight status?

Last edited by wendySFO; Sep 12, 2008 at 5:25 am
Old Sep 12, 2008, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 2P
www.UnitedCargo.com is generally seen as being more accurate.

FWIW, UnitedCargo shows UA853 as on-time for both today and tomorrow.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 6:59 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Flightstats shows the NRT-TPE leg cancelled. SFO-NRT is on-time.

Scroll down to the bottom:

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...9-12&x=13&y=14
Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Thanks fnothaft and sobore for additional URLs to check.

The UA agent I talked to earlier told me to call back by 8:30AM when Detroit headquarter is opened up to double check the flight status as they don't know which information is correct themselves.

Just called again and still the same confusion. It seems more confusion as I was told yesterday's NRT-TPE flight was cancelled so they think I am seeing yesterday's information so keep reminding me I'll lose a day when go over there.

I don't understand why there are two internal systems and they are not in sync. This sure can cause mis-communication and confusion to travellers.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
Flightstats sources its info from several places, one of them being the airline itself. So careful you aren't supporting bad info with the same bad info seen through another site.

I concur on the unitedcargo site being more reliable. But I share your frustration, it's too easy to get bad information...
Old Sep 12, 2008, 9:14 am

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Flight Aware is one of my favorites... and in most cases very accurate.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

853 might be cancelled for DAYS due to typhone in TPE. I am going to start another thread to see if anyone is also stuck here and UA's handling of this...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=865648

Last edited by username; Sep 12, 2008 at 7:24 pm
Old Sep 12, 2008, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by psubill78
Flight Aware is one of my favorites... and in most cases very accurate.
Except it doesn't work very well (or at all) outside the U.S. and Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.