Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Media reports that CO and UA Merger is Imminent - Announcement Likely by 5/3/10

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Media reports that CO and UA Merger is Imminent - Announcement Likely by 5/3/10

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not pick up both CO and US?
Old Feb 20, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: United 1K
Hope Randy is right.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I hope Randy is dead wrong. What is honestly good about US? Lot of hub overlap with PHX/LAX and PHL/IAD (much less so with EWR/IAH on CO). Shuttle is a decent product, that's about it. Minimal investment in new aircraft/refurbishing. Bad labor relations. Poor treatment of elites. No Asia network, not that many add'l Europe destinations. What am I missing here?
Old Feb 20, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
No Asia network... What am I missing here?
Just the little tiff between America West and USAir pilots.

BTW, it's been reported that US is seeking NRT. Or is it that it's just been approved?
Old Feb 20, 2010, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Thought I had that covered with "bad labor relations".

US got DL's slots at NRT/GRU (I believe) due to their so-called "swap" of LGA/DCA slots. Highly doubt we'll actually be seeing those routes anytime soon.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I knew the moment I closed that what your response would be. I just thought that it deserved honorable mention because the generic "labor relations" usually means labor-management. But you're no less than 100% correct.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:10 am

OK, this is just a rumor, but I had to post it here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ntinental.html

ie CO will be getting E+. Again, this is just a rumor, but it follows a long list of adjustments made to the 2 programs: UA got one-way awards and aligned the award travel regions with CO and CO introduced a new revenue-based elite level and SWUs. The two airlines are gradually becoming more similar and to me they're just easing the way to a merger. On the opposite end, US felt that its place in *A is threatened by CO and had to ask for guarantees. Like everyone else I absolutely respect Randy, but all the signs indicate that a UA-CO merger is much more possible.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
You UAers sure love your rumors...

Of course it's going to look like UA and CO is merging. They effectively ARE merging much of their business - particularly on international flying, where virtually all of their flying will be done under a set of joint ventures in cooperation with other Star alliance partners.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
You UAers sure love your rumors...

Of course it's going to look like UA and CO is merging. They effectively ARE merging much of their business - particularly on international flying, where virtually all of their flying will be done under a set of joint ventures in cooperation with other Star alliance partners.
Err, wasn't this particular one a CO rumor until this moment? And didn't the most recent one come from Mr. Petersen? Anyway, the rumors are set in motion by UA's CEO. Ones about potential mergers were fanned to white-hot last year at this time when Mr. Tilton was pimping UA like a cheap you-know-what. It was like "Spring Break" among CO, UA and US. So, they seldom start here.

And, the time is right for Spring Break and another round.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
United Airlines Open To Mergers

Did I miss this one?

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1266965858.html

Here we go again with CO.

Time to jump ship to AA, I think (after I've turned 2MM later this year).

Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:14 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Well the report said that United and US Airways are the only two majors that are open to mergers. No willing partners leaves them both in the cold at the moment. This has been a story floating around for years now. It hasn't reached any point of fulfillment-- though perhaps if the wait lasts long enough and the two continue to be ignored, they may discover that the only way forward is to merge UA/US together. Tilton could get the golden parachute he thought he would have had by now and Doug Parker can run the giant airline he has been dreaming about for some time.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Grace B

Time to jump ship to AA, I think (after I've turned 2MM later this year).
Jumship to AA only means flying with MD80, which I don't really want that on 4 hours flight with no video and no audio. AA doesn't replace fast enough for their MD80 to 737.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Doug Parker can run the giant airline he has been dreaming about for some time.
Who would want that (other than Parker)?

Not anyone that would want a good airline!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by koroleon
ie CO will be getting E+. Again, this is just a rumor, but it follows a long list of adjustments made to the 2 programs: UA got one-way awards and aligned the award travel regions with CO and CO introduced a new revenue-based elite level and SWUs. The two airlines are gradually becoming more similar and to me they're just easing the way to a merger. On the opposite end, US felt that its place in *A is threatened by CO and had to ask for guarantees. Like everyone else I absolutely respect Randy, but all the signs indicate that a UA-CO merger is much more possible.
But this is looking at it only from the passengers' perspective. Just because UA and CO look more and more alike to the passenger doesn't mean that the real differences (e.g., in management style and policies, etc) that are the true obstacles to a merger are being reduced. If UA and CO management were making real efforts to align their internal operations in ways that would make it easier to merge, I'd be much more inclined to believe that UA and CO CEOs have some kind of informal agreement to pursue the idea at a later date.

Now, I don't actually know whether such alignment efforts are underway, but maybe others do?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Well the report said that United and US Airways are the only two majors that are open to mergers. .
Where did that article say that? It speaks of those two open to mergers.. it doesn't say that they are the only ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.