Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Connection Question: IAD-SFO-NRT: 1 hr 9 mins in SFO enough time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia

I am looking at flying IAD-SIN in mid-December. I cannot fly direct (UA803) as I need extra EQMs to requalify: 10871 miles (IAD-SFO-NRT-SIN) vs 9595 miles (IAD-SIN).

Instead, I am considering:
UA187 IAD-SFO 7:15am-9:57am
UA837 SFO-NRT 11:06am-3:30pm

1 hour 9 minutes connection in SFO.

a) Is this an easy connection in terms of time? UA187 seems to have a good on-time record.
b) If I do misconnect, is UA853 SFO-NRT (12:56pm-5:20pm) and then UA803 (NRT-SIN 5:55pm departure), a 35 minute connection in NRT, a feasible backup?
c) How do I transit in SFO?

Weather aside, is IAD-SFO-NRT-SIN do-able?

Thanks
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Provided that your flight from IAD to SFO departs on time, then you should be alright, even though it is still a bit rushed. FYI, when you arrive at SFO, you can catch Star Alliance Bus near gate 72 that will take you from domestic terminal to international terminal without going through security again.

35 minutes connection at NRT is quite short, because you need to go through Japanese security check, and depending on the people who make connection, it can be crowded occasionally.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
Originally Posted by tide
I am looking at flying IAD-SIN in mid-December. I cannot fly direct (UA803) as I need extra EQMs to requalify: 10871 miles (IAD-SFO-NRT-SIN) vs 9595 miles (IAD-SIN).

a) Is this an easy connection in terms of time? UA187 seems to have a good on-time record.
b) If I do misconnect, is UA853 SFO-NRT (12:56pm-5:20pm) and then UA803 (NRT-SIN 5:55pm departure), a 35 minute connection in NRT, a feasible backup?

Thanks
Transit domestic to International in SF is easy - there's a shuttle that'll take you there in a couple of minutes and then you don't have to reclear security, or you can walk out of secure area, walk for 3-5 minutes and enter through the security line on the other side. I haven't seen that line take more than 10-15 minutes at worst times, but I probably wouldn't risk it with a <1hr to go.

My main concern would be schedule changes that would cut the time down, but then maybe you can get some more favorable rebooking (or less if they give you the flight with fewer EQMs!)
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:32 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold

Thanks

Why not take the later SFO-NRT flights to give you piece of mind ??? Regardless, in my experience, this is very do-able. There is a bus that take you airside from the domestic arrivals to the international departures so you do not have to spend time at security - although the bus can be interesting !!! Also, if you're checked in on the NRT flight at Dulles, my experience is they'll hold the plane...
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold

Absolutely. Assuming they'll allow you to book that connection, they definately hold the planes intra-Asia to get trans-pax passengers' connections...
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:45 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Braniff
There is a bus that take you airside from the domestic arrivals to the international departures so you do not have to spend time at security - although the bus can be interesting !!!
"Interesting" indeed. Since I'm based in SF, I don't really have occasion to take the bus, but I walk by the line for it all the time, and there are certainly times where that line is enormous, and I can only imagine how long it takes to get on the bus. So keep in mind the alternative mentioned by the poster who points out that you can just walk over to the Int'l terminal in 5 minutes, and then reclear security
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:53 am

Programs: nobody
Or you can route through IAD-SFO-HKG-SIN which net you just a tad more miles and easier connections.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
IF you were going the other way and had status, I would say you might have a chance with quick security. Given the time it takes to taxi to the gate, take the bus or walk and the security lines in international, I would say you are calling it entirely too tight. I would not do it. You can also be picked for a security pat down and I can tell you it takes a LONG time at international. I was picked once and I was the only one in line that did not miss my plane and that was because we were 3 hrs early to try to get an upgrade.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:00 am

Programs: UA MP 1P
That transfers bus also has wierd operating hours. I arrived in SFO at 8PM and it was already shutdown. I had tons of time to catch my SYD flight but had to go back through security. How much does it cost to pay 1 driver?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.