Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United's New "Enrolled Friend" Employee Travel Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's New "Enrolled Friend" Employee Travel Benefit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2007, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by pushback
So, my question is, is this how buddy passes work? Not even a coach reservation?

Next question is—assuming this is how it works, how would we get home? Does he have to add me to a list again, in the US while we are in Oz?
Your friend will "LIST" you, which means that you are on the STANDBY list. You must be flexible in case you and your family do not make the flight. If your sponsor is not traveling with you, you are able to fly in COACH or BUSINESS. Also, if you make it in Business, there is a DRESS CODE. Your sponsor can let you know the details. Your sponsor, can LIST you for BOTH your outbound and INBOUND flights before your departure. Once your sponsor has listed you, you can call in and make changes. If there are non stop flights, as another poster has wrote, you will need 8 companion passes for your family of four. Each pass is good for ONE SEGMENT.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 8:06 pm

Good luck. The Oz flights are the most weight restricted in the system, especially when the 747 they are using is one of the "bad burners". They frequently go out with 30+ empty seats with a bunch of dissappointed standbys at the gate waving goodbye. Companion pass travelers go after employees and parents so it can truly be a long shot.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 9:05 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by jan_az
I would book hotels that allow cancellation up to 6pm day of arrival.

I agree, it is still quite cost effective to do this, usually only $10-25 more to have a flexible booking.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 9:36 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
I think they work great...

...on light loads . Say hello to BP-8C
Old Jan 2, 2007, 1:41 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Actually, your standby priority will typically be ahead of many United Employees since you will be BP8, while many UA employees use BP10 to save money.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I agree, it is still quite cost effective to do this, usually only $10-25 more to have a flexible booking.
In some hotel programs, such as InterContinental/Holiday Inn, the AAA rate is often available; it typically matches the "advance purchase" discounted rate but it is cancelable. Most places it's cancelable by 18:00 or 16:00 day of arrival; others it's a day before.

If you don't have a AAA card, it's well worth it; I can say that I've never ever been asked for my card when checking in or renting a car.

But even if you have to pay the higher cancelable rate, sounds like with 4 travelers to SYD you have a non-trivial chance of not making it. (or having a mix of C and Y seats, or having half your group leave one day and the remainder the second day).

Also keep in mind that Australia requires an electronic visa called an ETA (electronic travel authority) for US travelers (and many other passports). You can do this on-line for AU$20 (about US$15). You can do it online here:
http://www.etaaustralia.com.au/en/ApplyForEta/index.php
and it's good for a full 12 months, multiple entries.
If you forget, or are lazy, United can do this for you (call reservations) or when you "check-in" ... but they'll charge you $25.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by amartin1979
Actually, your standby priority will typically be ahead of many United Employees since you will be BP8, while many UA employees use BP10 to save money.

Not 100% true. Internationally, most employees go as an 8A (normal priority for employees) or use our performance passes that waive the service charge. Buddy pass travel is at priority 8C.

I've worked many SFO-SYD flights. Depending on the time of year, these flights can be EXTREMELY hard to nonrev on even as an employee. Keep in mind that a family of 4 is even more difficult. My advice would be to plan ahead and only expect to sit in economy. Squeezing your way into Business will be tough!

-IFLYUA
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:26 am

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by IFLYUA
Not 100% true. Internationally, most employees go as an 8A (normal priority for employees) or use our performance passes that waive the service charge. Buddy pass travel is at priority 8C.

I've worked many SFO-SYD flights. Depending on the time of year, these flights can be EXTREMELY hard to nonrev on even as an employee. Keep in mind that a family of 4 is even more difficult. My advice would be to plan ahead and only expect to sit in economy. Squeezing your way into Business will be tough!

-IFLYUA

Can you give me an idea of the loads at different times of the year? Maybe I'll move the date if it looks like I'll have a better shot at us (1) all getting on and (2) getting into C.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 1:53 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Can you give me an idea of the loads at different times of the year? Maybe I'll move the date if it looks like I'll have a better shot at us (1) all getting on and (2) getting into C.
Gladly Full, Full and FULL.

Wow - trying to non-rev a family of 4 to SYD on BP-8C? That's GUTSY!

Best way to approach it is:
Have a very flexible schedule.
Consider having a completely different destination to try for the next day if SYD doesn't work out and it's eating into your time off)
Don't expect Business (you'd be lucky to even get Economy on many of these flights, so treat Business as a pleasant surprise if it even happens),
Pray that your 744 doesn't have a high burn and be weight restricted
Consider going out of SFO or LAX on a day where there are 2 SYD departures (domestic flights will cost more buddy passes and additional ID90 fares for each traveller)

The BP10 argument only works in your favor on days with extremely light loads. When the loads get heavy, no employee will use BP10 because it's simply an excercise in futility (or stupidity, depending on how you look at it).

Also, IIRC SYD is embargoed for companion travel during certain months - check with your sponsor - it's available on Skynet in the Travel section.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:05 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by John26
Consider going out of SFO or LAX on a day where there are 2 SYD departures
We'd be going out of SFO so at least that's in our favor. We could also go into MEL if that's a lighter route. Any insights there? Are the any other East Coast destinations that UA goes into. We'd be pretty flexible on what city we go in/out of if it gives us a better shot at actually landing some seats.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:05 pm

dupe.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:34 pm

... We could also go into MEL if that's a lighter route. Any insights there? Are the any other East Coast destinations that UA goes into. We'd be pretty flexible on what city we go in/out of if it gives us a better shot at actually landing some seats.
No MEL flight and no East coast options. LAX and SFO are it for down under.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
No MEL flight and no East coast options. LAX and SFO are it for down under.
Sorry--I meant flying from SFO to the East Coast of Australia (MEL, SYD, Brisbane, Canberra). I know I went to/from MEL via LAX a few years back. Is that gone?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 4:49 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Sorry--I meant flying from SFO to the East Coast of Australia (MEL, SYD, Brisbane, Canberra). I know I went to/from MEL via LAX a few years back. Is that gone?
It's LAX-SYD-MEL now, been that way for quite a while. We
took that a couple months ago, and I was surprised that they
filled every seat I could see on the aircraft ... and was not
surprised that we stopped at Brisbane for fuel.

By the way, back in the day when I could use buddy passes,
anything that smacked of bartering ("reward" for services)
was really, really frowned upon. Has that changed? I mean,
you're pretty open about that.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by violist
anything that smacked of bartering ("reward" for services) was really, really frowned upon. Has that changed? I mean,
you're pretty open about that.
I've never used a buddy pass before so I don't know. This isn't barter, per se' (like I'll do this and you pay me in buddy passes, please). I just did something very nice for someone and it was their suggestion, after the fact, that they send us on a trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.