Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

*Gold (UA 1P) Benefits When Flying Lufthansa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:08 am
Original Poster

got a flight to MUC on Lufthansa... do they care that im 1P or its all the same to them?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 3, 2008 at 10:42 am Reason: edited thread title to clarfify topic
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by absolut1
got a flight to MUC on Lufthansa... do they care that im 1P or its all the same to them?
Among the benefits 1P=*alliance Gold and gets you premium checkin line access on LH, you also get access to the Senator Lounges (nice, assuming that the MUC is a RT and that you're also departing from there on LH).
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:27 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
Among the benefits 1P=*alliance Gold and gets you premium checkin line access on LH, you also get access to the Senator Lounges (nice, assuming that the MUC is a RT and that you're also departing from there on LH).
I agree! If you were 2P, well ... they don't care so much. Flying *A internationally is where you really see a benefit for making 1P! Enjoy!
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:32 am
Original Poster

yep its r/t to MUC , United/codeshare flight on the way back....
doing LUF on the way there, so ill stop by the lounge.

if its a straight LUF flight there im guessing its Terminal 5 out of ORD?
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
ansolut1
Welcome to 1P. You will find that tier of MP is just enough better than the previous you will never want to go back to 2P. Never look back!!
1P/*G will be very useful for international travel -- elite check-in, lounge access, drink chits, ...
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
You might get a handshake from the purser.

The two times I've flown LH and LX, both of the pursers came by to introduce themselves and offered assistance with anything I would like. On LH, I was in Y , on LX, I was in F.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:48 am
Original Poster

i will find that hilarious, but will welcome it
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Well, a benefit I found out on Monday was in case of weather delays/irrops, LH will put *Gold up in a hotel with meals. *silver - no such luck. I was still a 1P on Monday - they put me up at the FRA Sheraton, even though it was a weather problem. (btw, the RCC staff wouldn't even talk to me - said I had to talk to LH even just to rebook flights, even though my FRA-SFO flight was on UA - )
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA- 1P
forget about the handshakes, just enjoy the senator lounge in the brand new MUC airport...!
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Lightman7
Well, a benefit I found out on Monday was in case of weather delays/irrops, LH will put *Gold up in a hotel with meals. *silver - no such luck. I was still a 1P on Monday - they put me up at the FRA Sheraton, even though it was a weather problem.
How did you find out the offer was not extended to *S?
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:42 pm

Recently received mysterious op-up on LH EWR-FRA; have to assume it was due to *A Gold status.

Still feel guilty about it...
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:46 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
How did you find out the offer was not extended to *S?
According to the UA Irrops profile (don't have the exact link but it's been posted here before), hotel/meals on WX-related irrops on international itineraries is a standardized Star Gold amenity. Yes, that's from UA's policies, not from LH's, but the UA policy has verbiage about how UA does this to be in alignment with *A policy. So it looks like LH followed the same *A policy here.

Domestic itinerary hotel for WX is up to each airline. UA does it for 1K/GS, probably LH only does it for SEN/HON.

Note to OP and others: you MUST have your UA Star Gold card (1P, 1K, GS) in order to be admitted to a LH lounge. LH lounge dragons will NOT admit you based on what's in the PNR or on your boarding pass, even if it says UA*G on your LH-issued BP.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
*G should allow you to reserve a seat in the front of the plane ("premier" section), but you still need to call close to the flight (I always give 'em a call about 24 hours in advance).

Also, you do get priority on the upgrade list - I'm not sure how exactly they sort it, but my experience is that the UG list takes into account your status.

Not sure if they have changed this, but *G used to be able to use the first class check-in counter (not the FCL or FCT). At outstations, this is the Business counter.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by xlaurens
forget about the handshakes...!
You obviously didn't get my sarcasm.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 1:01 pm

Actually LH is forced to do so by EU regulation as it is any other airline in Europe too. Only being accommodated at the Sheraton instead of a 3* hotel might perhaps be due to *G. Thats why we all like the EU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.