Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance First Class Reward

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, BA, DL, AA, JL
Question Star Alliance First Class Reward

UA flight not showing first class availability Trans-Pac in one direction of travel. Does UA waitlist and upgrade people who have paid for first class rewards when there is unsold availability in first class? How does it work on UA?

Will UA Silver and Gold have priority? Non-revs? Does anyone know the process?

Waitlisting for business class on AC resulted in me winning "Aerolotto" using business class rewards in the past, getting a business class seat when only confirmed for travel in economy. Does the process work similarly on UA?

Thanks,
Maclock
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by Maclock
UA flight not showing first class availability Trans-Pac in one direction of travel. Does UA waitlist and upgrade people who have paid for first class rewards when there is unsold availability in first class? How does it work on UA?

Will UA Silver and Gold have priority? Non-revs? Does anyone know the process?

Waitlisting for business class on AC resulted in me winning "Aerolotto" using business class rewards in the past, getting a business class seat when only confirmed for travel in economy. Does the process work similarly on UA?

Thanks,
Maclock
I'm not too familiar with the "aerolotto" but whenever you redeem for a premium award and the class of service you want is not available, they will confirm you in the class below it, if space is available, and waitlst you for the class you redeemed for to begin with.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST
I'm not too familiar with the "aerolotto" but whenever you redeem for a premium award and the class of service you want is not available, they will confirm you in the class below it, if space is available, and waitlst you for the class you redeemed for to begin with.
My guess is Aerolotto is referring to the fact scoring the award on Aero Plan is analogous to winning the lotto.

Also the WL for C/F is only for UA awards using UA miles, I am guessing the OP is using AC miles for a UA award and thus would be booking it through AC. I'm not sure if AC allows for WL on *A awards, I know MP does not.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 1:08 pm

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by Maclock

Thanks,
Maclock
It's the same as AC...if you redeem UA miles for a first award but are confirmed in economy or business you are waitlisted for first on UA metal.

If you redeem AC miles for first class and are confirmed only in economy on a UA segment you will be sitting in economy. You are not waitlisted for upgrade. As far us UA is concerned you have booked and paid for Economy. If UA opens up award inventory prior to your flight you can call Aeroplan and switch cabins.

The ability to stand-by for upgrade to your 'paid' for award class applies only to the airline's own frequent flier scheme that you have redeemed with...on their metal only.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 1:52 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
It's the same as AC...if you redeem UA miles for a first award but are confirmed in economy or business you are waitlisted for first on UA metal.

If you redeem AC miles for first class and are confirmed only in economy on a UA segment you will be sitting in economy. You are not waitlisted for upgrade. As far us UA is concerned you have booked and paid for Economy. If UA opens up award inventory prior to your flight you can call Aeroplan and switch cabins.

The ability to stand-by for upgrade to your 'paid' for award class applies only to the airline's own frequent flier scheme that you have redeemed with...on their metal only.

Is this true on mixed metal itineraries? I vaguely recall that if any segment of your trip is on non-UA metal, you cannot waitlist for diddly do.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 3:08 pm

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Is this true on mixed metal itineraries? I vaguely recall that if any segment of your trip is on non-UA metal, you cannot waitlist for diddly do.
I don't know the rules of UA MP well enough...but on AC Aeroplan mixed carrier itineraries AC allows you to waitlist for any flight in that itinerary operated by AC.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
i think they recently changed this and now you can change the UA portions of a *A award
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: AC*E, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ryan182
i think they recently changed this and now you can change the UA portions of a *A award
I'm flying HNL-LAX in a few weeks with my wife on the way back from our honeymoon. She is confirmed in Business and I'm in Y. There is currently 'lots' of space showing in J but not for rewards travel. Can anyone confirm if UA does waitlist *A award tickets for upgrade at the gate?

Cheers.

Taras
Old Oct 4, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CanuckBubba
I'm flying HNL-LAX in a few weeks with my wife on the way back from our honeymoon. She is confirmed in Business and I'm in Y. There is currently 'lots' of space showing in J but not for rewards travel. Can anyone confirm if UA does waitlist *A award tickets for upgrade at the gate?

Cheers.

Taras
I do not believe that there is such a thing as waitlist for upgrade on *A award.

My daughter was confirmed in UA Y ORD-LAX on a *A C award to Asia using my US miles. I called US to ask about F availability on the flight and was told that changing Y to F would be a change in ticketing and triggers change fee and reticketing. So I passed. A call to UA got the response that the award ticket was issued by US and only US can make changes.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 1:06 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by CanuckBubba

Cheers.

Taras
Is the Y ticket an award tickets? If so, you're out of luck, at least for getting an upgrade: UA does not upgrade award tickets. However, if you want to exchange your ticket for a business class (do you mean first class? UA doesn't have business class to HNL) ticket, you might be able to do so if there are business award seats available (and you pay the change fee, which is waived for 1Ks).

If the Y ticket is purchased, you could try to upgrade with miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.