Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii fare reductions loaded (8/19/2008)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by PanHam
Because, if you have a system that allows you to refare, but never actually dispenses a refund, the system still works. Many people find lower fares, but UA never actually sends them the voucher. Well, maybe once in 10,000 times. They're essentially lying.
I have ALWAYS gotten my refund - whether as a credit back to my credit card, or a same-as-cash voucher. At least 8 vouchers in the past year between my husband and me, and I have not kept track of the number of credit card refunds, to the tune of over $2000 apiece. I know people have experienced glitches, but if you know how and where to pursue the refund, it comes through - and I have not had to do more than make a second phone call once.

It's true that UA can bank on most people not knowing that they can ask for a refare, not knowing how to, not knowing what to do if the voucher doesn't come through as promised, and then not using the voucher once they get it -- but that's not "lying." I'm more willing to purchase tickets long in advance because I know I am protected if the fare drops, and apparently, UA finds the time value of my money worth the cost of the occasional refare (and I am willing to let them hold my money longer in order to get the flight/seats/upgrade I want).

Why UA keeps this feature IS an interesting question, since few if any carriers are as generous with refares, but SHHH! let's not give them the idea of stopping...
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
only one in 10,000 customers ever actually see a refund.
Closer to 9 out of 10.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:17 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Lifetime Gold
It's crazy expensive in January. SEA-OGG is well above $1000. I checked it a few weeks ago and I think it was around $700. About double the price of Alaska and Hawaiian which are direct flights. F on Alaska is only $100 more than Y on UA right now.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Closer to 9 out of 10.

Hmm, it seems the irony is lost on the folks, or my jokes really suck.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 5:45 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, UA (no status, but lots of miles!)
Originally Posted by lskohn
Why UA keeps this feature IS an interesting question, since few if any carriers are as generous with refares, but SHHH! let's not give them the idea of stopping...
I mean surely they should get rid of this feature first before introducing charges for meals in Y on international flights...I know, I know, its probably a different department and nothing to do with "them".
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
FWIW. the "special deals" section of .bomb now actually shows "Hawaii Fare Sale".
Old Aug 20, 2008, 9:23 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by RichG
FWIW. the "special deals" section of .bomb now actually shows "Hawaii Fare Sale".
It has actually been there for at least a week.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:32 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
my jokes really suck.
+1

Old Aug 20, 2008, 3:29 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
With regards to vouchers for refaring itineraries, I must say that United has always honored its refaring policy, and I have always received a voucher for a lower fare on the exact same flights and dates.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1P DL GM HH PP
UA is still over $450 more LAX-HNL in early April 09 (Spring Break) than AA/AS. As to the refare process, I thought of buying UA (for E+/EQMs) and hope for a refare. But, I would have to constantly monitor the price and did not want to deal with vouchers. Instead, I went through Orbitz to buy the AA ticket (x4) with its automatic Price Assurance guarantee to lock in the lower initial price, little monitoring on my part. I recognize there are certain requirements associated with the Orbitz guarantee and I am losing out on E+ and EQMs, but the price point difference was too great to ignore.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cvn74n2
I would have to constantly monitor the price
Yapta is your friend...

Originally Posted by cvn74n2
did not want to deal with vouchers.
Refare online and it gets credited back on your card. (Not suggested if upgraded, though.)
Old Aug 20, 2008, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1P DL GM HH PP
I had never heard of yapta. Googled it and have signed up to test it out for tracking fare prices. Thank you for the tip Mahasamatman.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.