Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you folks feel about GS members?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2008, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by climmy
I started this thread because I wanted to find out if it was possible to sucessfully meld a mileage based program with a $-based one, without getting the rest of the members upset.

I wasn't specifically wondering about, you know, if you loved me or not .

I understand from a few posts about devaulation of programs over the years, but that wasn't the point of this thread. Especially considering that devaulation seems to be happening in any event, with every program.

It would always be nice to have more bennies and that's really the point of these programs. Heck, I'd like to see free RCC memby's for GS but that's not likely to happen. It just seems like a "Cash Grab" even though spending might be quite large.

In any event, it seems like the GS program is here for a while. Perhaps other carriers might follow with a $based level of their own.
Gotcha....Sorry if me asking my question of people today that have GS level being downgraded would change their travel spend with UA.

On that note...back OT, I think that if they want to have a successful $based program that will sustain for UA, they need to improve both the soft and hard product across the board. The seats INTL are a good start, but the challenge for UA will be going forward. As their new seats come on-line 100%, the others will be (in all likelihood, especially SQ) ahead of them. They will always be playing catch-up.

Like the saying goes....when the competition gets to where you are make sure you long gone from that point (on the spectrum) and ahead of them.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by jakuda
Yes of course you are correct, and often times, they end up making GS or EXP regardless. So the airlines woo these high revenue fliers right at the beginning as a lowly new-grad or MBA to stay (somewhat) loyal with a quick boost of status.

I wasn't making a strict guideline, but most people familiar with management consultants have a general idea of the top firms.

Airlines should consider other professions and they do probably, but management consultants are a super easy decision regarding free status.
That's my story -- I came into consulting out of undergrad about 3ish years ago, starting with PLT on American and 1P on United as I was testing the waters with both the first year. I ultimately went with United by hitting 1K (and still made PLT on AA) my second year, but negative experiences instead sent me over to AA for good the following year. Haven't looked back since and will probably completely drop UA for CO this year.

Oddly enough, I still probably have the most nostalgic connection to UA nevertheless, as they were my first taste of frequent travel (with some help from FT!) and since I got my first elite upgrade with them on an SFO-ORD flight that first year out in the "real world."

Speaking of IBM GS and Accenture -- it's somewhat the opposite for their usual airline preferences. IBM's "preferred" carriers tend to be AA and Delta (both of which grant status), and AFAIK Accenture doesn't have any preferred carriers per se, but United has an ACN-specific status-match program (makes sense given ACN's base in Chicago).

Last edited by SpeedRicer; Jul 24, 2008 at 7:08 pm
Old Jul 24, 2008, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Well, I think GS'rs are big shots as for as UA is concerned. I'm always happy to see loyal customers treated well.

However, I'm always amused by those FF's at ANY level of status who make a point of letting EVERYONE know just how important of a frequent flier they are and that they deserve special treatment.

One guy in the RCC a couple months ago made a very rude stink about being a 1K and such a big time business guy that they he deserved more free drink chits.

He was obnoxious to the RCC ladies and rude to the couple waiting behind him for a legitimate flight change question.

It pushed me to the limit (I was behind the couple) so I shouted out to him"

"If you're such a bigshot, then you wouldn't be flying commercial so hurry it up".

Old Jul 24, 2008, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by prashok
Speaking of IBM GS and Accenture -- it's somewhat the opposite for their usual airline preferences. IBM's "preferred" carriers tend to be AA and Delta (both of which grant status), and AFAIK Accenture doesn't have any preferred carriers per se, but United has an ACN-specific status-match program (makes sense given ACN's base in Chicago).
That is correct. I will add ACN biggest corporate contract discount is with UA and its *A codeshares.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL DM - AA 1.6MM UA 1.2MM - Recovering UA UGS and AA CK - Hilton LTD, Marriott LTP, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Markie, rest assured GS isn't all that different (or better) than 1K. I still get the occasional surly phone reps, generally board at the same time as 1Ks, and, based on odds, would rarely nab a 1K’s preferred meal. Don’t mistakenly think we’re all being worshipped by all the UA staff. Rarely have I received any discernible recognition as a GS. There are very few benefits above and beyond that of a 1K. (The only one I truly enjoy is being able to upgrade award tickets).
I've had the same experience as 1015-1k... people think that we receive more special attention then we really do. I'm paying 3-4 times as much per mile as I did in 7 years as a 1K, but the treatment is nowhere near 3-4 times better.

To be honest, I've had GS phone reps make more mistakes in 1.5 years as a GS then I had in 7 years as a 1K!

The only benefit that I take advantage of is the Global check-in area at ORD. The only special treatment I've received was one free upgrade on a Z ticket from ICN-NRT (Somehow the NRT-ORD didn't get upgraded ) and a visit from the Captain during boarding on an ORD-NRT flight.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by prashok
That's my story -- I came into consulting out of undergrad about 3ish years ago, starting with PLT on American and 1P on United as I was testing the waters with both the first year. I ultimately went with United by hitting 1K (and still made PLT on AA) my second year, but negative experiences instead sent me over to AA for good the following year. Haven't looked back since and will probably completely drop UA for CO this year. .......
It seems all the McKinsey consultants are destined to hit GS flying out of SFO
Old Oct 9, 2008, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/GS; Hilton Diamond VIP; Avis One
Several great points.

The make-up of people and their spending habits that UA uses to set it's revenue threshold targets for picking GS people is changing all the time. With the economy being what it is today, that threshold may drop for this year. They can't publish a requirement if it is changing over the course of the year.

As a previous multi-year DL Platinum guy and several year GS guy, I'll say that the GS experience is better but not that much better. Key difference for me is superior phone support. The GS desk almost always picks up immediately, and they go out of their way for upgrades AND for finding Saver FC or Economy award travel. They are top support people. Otherwise the first choice of meals in FC or BC is nice also.

I continue flying UA through the end of the year even after I've made GS because I don't have status with any other airline, and because ultimately I believe UA tracks loyalty throughout the year.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I think of GS as a kind of "1K+" level and it doesn't bother me at all.

I never buy full fare tickets, so I never expect to be first in line for upgrades and other perks.

Instead of just having higher fare passengers in front of me, I now have a small number of other people too. No big deal really...
Old Oct 9, 2008, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 1K MM, Hyatt GP Diamond, basic level in many more..
For me, I have only experienced the GS difference over being a mere 1K once or twice a year. And those were mainly being called up ahead of time to board the plane a few minutes after those guys who go on early and we are not supposed to realize who/what they are.

One time I think the GA did it in Baltimore because of a Red Carpet Lice, I think is the correct term, was giving the GA a hard time about everything. I must not look like a GS to the guy because he started to complain about me being called ahead of him. GA response was "he's Global Services" as I was walking down the jet way. Guy scowled at me when he finally boarded...
Old Oct 9, 2008, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Having spent the last 9 months as a GS, I can honestly say that it isn't much different than a 1K. Yes, you get a person when you call right away. But I flew international this week, flying in E+, and despite the empty seats available in Business, I wasn't opped up (note, I didn't ask, was more curious if they would). I had my luggage misplaced twice in the past three months, and the lost luggage people didn't seem to treat me any differently than any other elite (from past experience). I've been stuck in E- for a last minute transcon trip, just like everyone else. About the only place that seems to matter much is with irrops, and even then I seemed to have had the same level of service as a 1K.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA1P, IHC/PC-Plat
Originally Posted by climmy
My question is, then, “How do you folks feel about GS members themselves and the GS program?”
As a 1P, I'm extremely covetous of the service I see 1Ks and GSs get. But with flying over 100K miles (on various airlines) a year, I know those 1Ks deserve that status for sticking to UA for that many miles.

On the other hand, it makes my travel department happy to not have to pay the extra $$ put me on UA if the GS members didn't spend as much as they did.

Overall, I think UA has done a good job of pleasing both the FFs and the high rollers.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:05 am

Programs: UA GS, aa platinum, hh gold, starwood platinum
I have been GS for the past year and the biggest thing for me is the ability to upgrade award tickets. It makes it much easier to go away with the family using coach saver miles and then be able to get the occiasional upgrade if the space is there.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Just some envy.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I am a 1K who qualifies on both segments and miles each year mostly domestic, never paid C or F but lots of higher fare B,M,H and Y. I appreciate SWU's but have never run out of them. GS is a clear downgrade for regular 1K like myself in order of meal selection when upgraded, diminished upgrade priority,1K calls to the international call centers instead of US based, understaffed checkin lines which at some airports have dedicated GS or GS+ F and worthless 1Kvoice responses now, which used to be ok on occasion. If UA wants to reward their so called best customers give them a couple extra SWU's and call it a day.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
This may be the most acute situation of downgrading of 1K's to UGS, but I flew SFO-IAD on a Friday morning (777) flight and as a 1K on a Q fare was #23 on the waitlist...there were apparently nearly 80 on the list.

I'll allow that this may also be the 1K lite issue, but given that not many of the 23 got the upgrade, there had to be a GS component at work.

To be clear, I am not begruding the GS community - the program makes sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.