Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you folks feel about GS members?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2008, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
I think they are, hands down, a remarkable group of individuals. A cross-section of the most brilliant, influential and entertaining contributors to society. Not too hard on the eyes either, I might add.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 4:13 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, UA Gold
Um. . .fine?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by 1015-1k
I think they are, hands down, a remarkable group of individuals. A cross-section of the most brilliant, influential and entertaining contributors to society. Not too hard on the eyes either, I might add.
Thanks!!! Just what I needed today.....my ego getting stroked!!!!

I am soooo "stoked dude"

Last edited by BongoVIP; Jul 23, 2008 at 4:13 pm Reason: sp
Old Jul 23, 2008, 4:14 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by climmy
... My question is, then, “How do you folks feel about GS members themselves and the GS program?”...
Are we talking about GS members in general or a particular one who luvs to fly
Old Jul 23, 2008, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, CO Plat. DL Silver, SPG Plat, Marriot Plat., HH Diamond, Hertz PC, many more
I don't think UA could publish what it takes to attain GS even if they wanted to because the theory is that it goes to the top 1% of revenue producers. They can't quantify what this will be exactly. Setting requalification guidelines is possible but to really just take the top 1% of revenue producers...what if premium fare loyal passengers all of a sudden flock to or away from United?? That threshold is a moving target. Further, I totally agree that people would reach the threshold and then try to get status on another carrier; even though I wouldn't it makes sense to cover you bases in this minefield of potential bankruptcies.

As a GS member and a former 1K, I can tell you that the differences are not that great. I definitely do not get the level of service that I pay for. In my record year, I spent $460K on airfares....still had delays, lines, misconnects, dumb agents, closed RCC's, etc. However, there are some things that keep me coming back first and foremost of which is the ability to talk to a top agent without holding for more than a minute or two at the most. The key to me is that I get treated better at UA as a GS than I do at CO as a platinum and that drives me to give more business to UA.

I will probably have a large amount of envy towards GS if some year I don't requalify.

If you need to feel better about not being a GS, fly through Las Vegas on United. As a GS I couldn't use the 1K premium security line because United had to chose one group or the other and chose 1K so more could use. It didn't matter that I flew 300,000 miles before because my ticket and card said GS not 1K. For a brief moment, I hated 1K's!!!
Old Jul 23, 2008, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA GLD 1MM, AA PLT 2MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by climmy
My question is, then, “How do you folks feel about GS members themselves and the GS program?”
Like most others, I have no problem with GS members or the program. It can be a bit depressing to get to the gate and see yourself at #5 on the upgrade waitlist as 1K on a B-fare w/ 24hr-in-advance OLCI (yeah, happened! phew, cleared!); but oh well.

Now, I'd have even less of a problem with it if my company would allow the fares & class of service that would get me invited to GS, too!
Old Jul 23, 2008, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA-LifetimePremierGold, PLT: Bonvoy, IHG, GLD: Enterprise, Budget
Originally Posted by hobo13
Funny, I sat next to a guy last week (also a 1P) who was commenting that it's a wonder any of us can get upgrades anymore considering that United is giving status to all 150,000 IBM Global Services. He was quite serious.
Funny you mention this... one of the 1K regulars on my Monday work flight tells me that AA comped Platinum (1P) to all Accenture US consultants as well. Kinda makes the challenge/matches a moot point.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 5:57 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
Are we talking about GS members in general or a particular one who luvs to fly
You rang?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by nsx1164
Funny you mention this... one of the 1K regulars on my Monday work flight tells me that AA comped Platinum (1P) to all Accenture US consultants as well. Kinda makes the challenge/matches a moot point.
If I were AA or UA I'd comp 1P/Plat status to all the consultants working for the top management consulting firms as well, considering how frequently they fly and at the biz/first class level.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I am glad UA don't publish GS qualification criteria. It will give UA the freedom to make changes pending on changes in fare strucutre, supply-demand, and other factors. Having a set of criteria publicly will limit UA the ability to make changes in the future.

Originally Posted by jakuda
If I were AA or UA I'd comp 1P/Plat status to all the consultants working for the top management consulting firms as well, considering how frequently they fly and at the biz/first class level.
If they fly frequently as mentioned in your post, wouldn't they qualify for 1P/Plat status anyway? Also, how do you define what the "top management consulting firms" are? Why only them, and why not also consider "top public companies or top private companies", "top non-profit companies", " law firms". etc. ?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Also, how do you define what the "top management consulting firms" are? Why only them, and why not also consider "top public companies or top private companies", "top non-profit companies", " law firms". etc. ?
If I had to pick one profession that flies a lot, and at top dollar fares, it would be management consulting. Hands down.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
If they fly frequently as mentioned in your post, wouldn't they qualify for 1P/Plat status anyway? Also, how do you define what the "top management consulting firms" are? Why only them, and why not also consider "top public companies or top private companies", "top non-profit companies", " law firms". etc. ?
Yes of course you are correct, and often times, they end up making GS or EXP regardless. So the airlines woo these high revenue fliers right at the beginning as a lowly new-grad or MBA to stay (somewhat) loyal with a quick boost of status.

I wasn't making a strict guideline, but most people familiar with management consultants have a general idea of the top firms.

Airlines should consider other professions and they do probably, but management consultants are a super easy decision regarding free status.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FullFare
I have heard (and believe) that politics plays a role. I fly the 1st UA non-stop from SFO to IAD on many Monday mornings. It is typically full and has a who's who of California politicians.
I know that they are all GS's. Ms Eshoo sat next to me once and her card was right out on the seat with a "GS". The reps are typicaly in Business, even on a 3-class config aircraft. I don't have any problem with it. It would seem to me appropriate that they be GS. It's a long way to go to represent a constituency.
I say to create a special flight, operated by a CRJ with 4-5 intermediate stops, for the congressional reps.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:26 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I think the shame with UGS is that it has reduced all the benefits of being 1K. 1Ks are now the poor relation at United and are pretty much treated that way by their staff. Luckily now I am flying UA enough to make 1K (or 1.5K in fact), but will never make the spend to make UGS.

I miss being treated well by staff, being sure of first meal options, being first on the upgrade list, being offered help during irregular ops, checking in at the short line at the airport, etc.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by Markie
I think the shame with UGS is that it has reduced all the benefits of being 1K. 1Ks are now the poor relation at United and are pretty much treated that way by their staff. Luckily now I am flying UA enough to make 1K (or 1.5K in fact), but will never make the spend to make UGS.

I miss being treated well by staff, being sure of first meal options, being first on the upgrade list, being offered help during irregular ops, checking in at the short line at the airport, etc.
Markie, rest assured GS isn't all that different (or better) than 1K. I still get the occasional surly phone reps, generally board at the same time as 1Ks, and, based on odds, would rarely nab a 1K’s preferred meal. Don’t mistakenly think we’re all being worshipped by all the UA staff. Rarely have I received any discernible recognition as a GS. There are very few benefits above and beyond that of a 1K. (The only one I truly enjoy is being able to upgrade award tickets).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.