Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Op Upped?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Op Upped?

I've read a few threads that have used this term, and I'm trying to figure out exactly what it means. I just hit premier executive level for the first time, and am traveling from Chicago to London next month, and am trying to figure out my chances of getting upgraded to business class, or if there is any chance at all for that matter. All I know for sure is that I have booking class W going there and booking class S going home. Is an upgrade something I have to ask UAL for, ask my travel agent, or is the request automatic? Maybe this is all just a pipe dream, which wouldn't be the end of the world, especially since everyone here helped me get the best economy plus seat on my flight, row 21 right behind the crew seats. Thanks, everyone.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Op-up stands for operational upgrade. As the name suggests, it's an upgrade for operational reasons, like because the flight is oversold in one cabin and they need to bump people up. It's not something you ask for, but just something that happens.

All "real" upgrades must be supported with either miles, systemwide upgrades (which 1K's get), or cash. In your case your W portion could be upgraded with systemwide upgrades, so if you have a 1K friend that has SWU's, try to get some. It's not upgradeable with miles, but there's a chance you'll be offered an upgrade at check-in for about $600USD.

BTW, welcome to FlyerTalk, johndw!^
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
The granddaddy of all op up posts is HERE
The best op up reading from a gate agent's perepective is HERE

The 1st thread is listed in the UAL FAQ sticky at the top of this forum. Strongly recommend you check out the wealth of info in the sticky as to enhance your FT enjoyment & utility. Congrats on 1P & welcome aboard....

Last edited by nzpilot; Jul 6, 2008 at 9:38 pm
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:50 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by nzpilot
The granddaddy of all op up posts is HERE
The best op up reading from a gate agent's perepective is HERE
the first thread you reference there (in the FAQ) is good reading, but while we're on the topic, I think it ought to be declared obselete and replaced with the 2nd thread. I.e. the 2nd thread makes it clear, by the very informative firsthand details of how op ups are done, that the tactics in the 1st thread do not generally work, because everything is done by status and fare. And the 2nd thread gives people a much better idea of their real chances, rather than suggesting that they try to score an upgrade with a suit and a smile. Not to say it has never worked, but I think it would be better off from an honest informational point of view, to send people to the 2nd thread as their first encounter with op ups.

Last edited by TA; Jul 6, 2008 at 10:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.