Wiki Posts
Search

ORD-DEN 3-class: Stupid decision?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2008, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage general member, UA MP general member
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Try for 777's both ways if you can, the 763 is not nothing to write home about and for what you paid you should maximize your time in the suites.

And c'mon, spill it... what was your round trip fare? (cost and booking code)
D fare bucket w/ coupon code from my TA uncle(^)= $1371 total fare paid.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by baroqueboy
You did pretty well.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Well, considering your circumstances many including me think you're a little crazy... but clearly you are "into" all this and it appears to me this is kind of a hobby for you and taking that into account... what the heck, go for it!

And as others have mentioned... I would save the 30,000 miles and purchase 4 500 mile upgrades for $325 (if you haven't blown your whole wad on the ticket already that is).. 30,000 miles is better spent on a longer upgrade or for a free ticket.

Even with no status you should have no trouble getting confirmed in First 24 hours before the flight using the e500's.

If you're only a teenager, I predict we'll be seeing your posts here on FT well into the 2060's
Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
You did pretty well.
I believe that 60K miles gets you into F three class correct? You are already paying 30K for the upgrade - another 30K and you would have done it for free. Again that is if 60K gets you into F on a 3 class domestically.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Try for 777's both ways if you can, the 763 is not nothing to write home about and for what you paid you should maximize your time in the suites.
Completely agree here...if it's trying the suite that you're after, you'll be sorely disspointed by the old 767 F seats. Just slightly more comfy versions of regular C, and if you're in row 1, I'd almost rather be in C. Save the 15K for the TATL upgrades you mentioned...

Plus, if you have a good tailwind and the 767 is the westbound leg, you'll be in the seat 2 hours max. 125 miles spent/minute...would make me cry.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iwebslinger
I believe that 60K miles gets you into F three class correct? You are already paying 30K for the upgrade - another 30K and you would have done it for free. Again that is if 60K gets you into F on a 3 class domestically.
Originally Posted by cedahm
Completely agree here...if it's trying the suite that you're after, you'll be sorely disspointed by the old 767 F seats. Just slightly more comfy versions of regular C, and if you're in row 1, I'd almost rather be in C. Save the 15K for the TATL upgrades you mentioned...

Plus, if you have a good tailwind and the 767 is the westbound leg, you'll be in the seat 2 hours max. 125 miles spent/minute...would make me cry.
I considered using 60k miles for a freebie, but that was all the miles I had and I'm saving 30,000 to upgrade my mom's trip to LA in the fall. Plus, my unbelievable TA coupon was going to expire, so I paid the painful D fare.

Believe me, I TRIED to find a 777 on my way back to beloved ORD, but couldn't on the date that I needed to be back. There may have been one very early in the morning, but I wasn't willing to do that and it may have been a 2-cabin one anyway--I don't remember exactly.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Red face

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
You did pretty well.
Thanks, I know it's almost unheard of. I'll probably regret it in a few years when my teenage stupid decision tendency goes away, but I'm content for now. I'm pretty frugal in almost every other way, and I don't have to pay for a hotel since I'm staying with a friend, so that makes my purchase slightly less obscenely inappropriate for a teenager from a middle class home.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Thanks, I know it's almost unheard of. I'll probably regret it in a few years when my teenage stupid decision tendency goes away, but I'm content for now. I'm pretty frugal in almost every other way, and I don't have to pay for a hotel since I'm staying with a friend, so that makes my purchase slightly less obscenely inappropriate for a teenager from a middle class home.
If you ever have another $1300 or so to spend for "fun" on UA flights, try taking a bunch of mileage runs, get yourself to 2P or maybe even 1P and you'll not only get the mileage for the upgrades but free e-500's and at the very least you'll end up in E+ for a year...I reach elite status on 100%pleasure trips and mileage runs and I suspect a great many other FTs are in the same boat Regardless, let me add my welcome to this forum and to flying in general, despite all the negative press, it's still my #1 hobby
Old Jul 5, 2008, 2:51 am

Programs: MP Platinum

..........OMFG...........

How many hours of work did that take to purchase?

Save the $1000 for your real trip to Europe ( you will need it to get a beer) and look at the seats on the flight. If you MUST buy e500's one way.

You buy/upgrade/get into C on overseas flights so you can sleep and work.

For $1371 you should be going to Asia and getting a REAL experience.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Red face

Originally Posted by yogi

WHOA dude, no hours of work! Just about 15 minutes on .bomb. I entered my coupon code and that was it. Most of those 15 minutes were taken up by searching for the cheapest combination of 3 cabin flights at reasonable times on my travel dates. After that, all I had to do was apply the discount.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 10:22 am

Programs: Priority Gold, UA, DL
WHOA dude, no hours of work! Just about 15 minutes on .bomb. I entered my coupon code and that was it. Most of those 15 minutes were taken up by searching for the cheapest combination of 3 cabin flights at reasonable times on my travel dates. After that, all I had to do was apply the discount.

I think he is asking how many hours of work did it take you to earn the money to pay for that ticket...

IMHO....it's your money and do what you want with it....but if it were me I would use take that money and go to Asia or something....more bang for the buck if you ask me...
Old Jul 5, 2008, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bthorny
I think he is asking how many hours of work did it take you to earn the money to pay for that ticket...
Ohhhhhhhhhh... I get it now.

About 30 hours of IT work at my place of worship, and several monetary holiday presents from relatives.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat
Wirelessly posted (xx: BlackBerry8100/4.5.0.37 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by yogi

Save the $1000 for your real trip to Europe ( you will need it to get a beer) and look at the seats on the flight. If you MUST buy e500's one way.

You buy/upgrade/get into C on overseas flights so you can sleep and work.

For $1371 you should be going to Asia and getting a REAL experience.
+1
I think this is absurd
Old Jul 5, 2008, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Like others have said, it's your $ but I probably would have gone to Europe or Asia or maybe even Austrailia for what you're paying to fly two hours between DEN-ORD If you want to look at the bright side, however, your post has been viewed over 1000 times already so thanks for posting something interesting...that takes skill!
Old Jul 5, 2008, 5:53 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
I think many of us would have suggested ORD-DEN-LHR ... and upgraded that, return and do a stopover in DEN to see your friend

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.