Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Onboard Changes - selling snacks; alcohol increases; charge on transpacs [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Onboard Changes - selling snacks; alcohol increases; charge on transpacs [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2008, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Do people really drink that much on long-haul? I know it is not recommended to drink too much on long haul flights.

I know I have never stop considering not flying UA across the pond because having to pay for booze.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K (woohoo), SPG Gold, HH Diamond, MR Silver, Avis Worst, National Exec Elite; Destinations Many
Question?

What if, hypothetically, instead of debit/credit they just charged the credit card in which the ticket was purchased with? Or, if using vouchers of a DB Free ticket the individual when booking or checking in - could select a form of payment. The FA could take your ticket stub and then assign check marks or other charges.

Is it possible?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by cheepneezy
I imagine this is a pain in the neck for the FA's, but at this point, I think UA and other airlines have to do whatever they need to do to stay viable. I can live with a $6 drink.
Totally agree. These are all changes I can live with, and the new snack items are good ideas!

Is this an actual enhancement?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Do people really drink that much on long-haul?
Some do. There are even posts on FT where people brag about having a dozen drinks or more.

Originally Posted by Hmbrglar
What if, hypothetically, instead of debit/credit they just charged the credit card in which the ticket was purchased with?
Not everyone uses their own card. Many companies will not pay for employee booze.

Just think - this raises the value of being a 1K. Those drink tickets are now worth even more...
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:07 pm

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
While we like to commonly think here on FT that such a thing would make a difference, is a traveler really going to change their travel plans over a $6 drink? People choose UA for schedule, the mileage program, Economy Plus, or the price, and I'd argue not a $6 drink...
I agree that most people don't care about the $6 drink.

BUT!!!

Schedule - Well, UA started cutting NGO/TPE/HKG (from LAX) and other transpacific routes, so schedule-wise, they do not have advantage.

Mileage program - If the current trend continues, I don't know how long Mileage Plus will last, or if it means anything. Next change - No more 100% RDM unless you purchase full-fare! I see that happening in the near future.

Economy Plus - Unless you are 6 ft +, you will not notice the difference that much.

Price - Expensive compared to other Asian airlines like MH/CI/BR. My sister will fly from LAX to TPE on MH in August. She paid $750 for her ticket. UA charged $1500 during the same period.

As you can see, I don't think UA has any advantage on these items over Asian airlines. They may have a little advantage with their mileage program, but they can't compete in terms of service, food, and fare.

Check airline review here:
http://www.airlinequality.com/main/forum.htm

United...unfortunately, received far worse score than most top Asian airlines.

Loyalty only goes this far!

Last edited by gijoe24jp; Jun 26, 2008 at 7:19 pm
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:09 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Yeah yeah, we can all say this won't make a dif to us (FTers, especially elites), but it's just another degrade. To say otherwise is just stoopid (IMO).

I am surprised it took so long for them to align transpac w/ transatl though re: the booze charges.

BTW - am I the only person who interpreted the we're enlisting the feedback from our FAs to mean we're reducing your ranks which means you're going to have more work, so if you can come up w/ some ideas on how to reduce the work for yourselves (and save us some $$) we're all ears.

And charging for cookies now on international flights? What-the-hay? Oh yeah, besides the booze charges if by chance you want something in the middle of the flight that we used to provide after the small servings you did get, we're now going to charge you $3-5 for them.

But please feel good about bending over, because besides hitting you w/ the fuel charges (which should actually cover that fuel issue problem), & the 1st checked bag fee & the booze fees, please stay bent over for the next round of fees that will 'enhance' your experience. Or, as we like to say, welcome to your newst LCC airline while we pretend to be a full-service airline.

OVMV.

Cheers.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:11 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
Schedule - Well, UA started cutting NGO/TPE and other transpacific routes, so schedule-wise, they do not have advantage.
Only if you're going to NGO or TPE, which apparently not too many people to (or they would be canceling something else).

If the current trend continues, I don't know how long Mileage Plus will last, or if it means anything.
At least as long as any other.

Economy Plus - Unless you are 6 ft +, space isn't that important.
You're dead wrong on that one. Even people of average height get good advantage from E+. I wouldn't even consider flying anything over 2 hours in Coach without it.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:19 pm

Keep the cookies. But taking away free transpac Absolut? The skies just got less friendlier.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:26 pm

My prediction for the next revenue enhancement is the elimination of free/sticker elite upgrades on discount Y fares.

Looking forward to this change, actually. I'd be happy to pay $1K for a roundtrip mid-con flight everytime in domestic F. But no, UA wants $2K for the seat, which doesn't sell -- which goes to an elite for free.

Don't even keep status on UA anymore. Sh!tty airline, sh!tty mileage program for paid J/F. Just put all the miles into BD for the domestic flights and never pay to fly United longhaul.

Here's hoping they hold on until after Christmas.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:29 pm

I agree that most people don't care about the $6 drink.

BUT!!!

Schedule - Well, UA started cutting NGO/TPE/HKG (from LAX) and other transpacific routes, so schedule-wise, they do not have advantage.

Mileage program - If the current trend continues, I don't know how long Mileage Plus will last, or if it means anything. Next change - No more 100% RDM unless you purchase full-fare! I see that happening in the near future.

Economy Plus - Unless you are 6 ft +, you will not notice the difference that much.

Price - Expensive compared to other Asian airlines like MH/CI/BR. My sister will fly from LAX to TPE on MH in August. She paid $750 for her ticket. UA charged $1500 during the same period.

As you can see, I don't think UA has any advantage on these items over Asian airlines. They may have a little advantage with their mileage program, but they can't compete in terms of service, food, and fare.

Check airline review here:
http://www.airlinequality.com/main/forum.htm

United...unfortunately, received far worse score than most top Asian airlines.

Loyalty only goes this far!
But cheap fares on CI/MH/BR you don't earn miles or at least 100%.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
I wholeheartedly disagree. I'm 5'10" and I notice the difference... quite a lot. On my most recent AA trip in the very back of an MD80, I was softly crying inside...

Even my 5'3" wife notices and appreciates the difference.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
And charging for cookies now on international flights?
Did they used to give cookies for free with the meal? There's no mention in the OP of the meal going away, BTW.

the 1st checked bag fee
This doesn't apply to international itineraries... yet, anyway.

Or, as we like to say, welcome to your newst LCC airline while we pretend to be a full-service airline.
Mmhmm, and all the legacies are headed this way. AA and US are already there. It's only a matter of time before DL/NW and CO follow.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
If they are going to charge for booze on transpacific routes, I don't see how they can stay competitive when all other airlines (especially Asian airlines) can offer much more than UA?

BR, CI, TG, NH, JL, SQ, CX......Need I go on?
I'm not sure the booze makes all that much difference. People just don't drink as much as they used to, and the wine they serve in Y is terrible. I don't even drink it for free. The alchoholics will move elsewhere, but I don't know that 12 or 14 hours without subpar booze is going to make much of a difference. Seems that price and loyalty programs will matter more. Looking out into next year, UA's fares look pretty competitive at the moment.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:35 pm

Didn't say that UA didn't offer meals on int'l in E. And while I haven't flown UA int'ly E in a while, last time I did they did still offer 'mid-flight snacks' for free, although of a lesser calibre than C/F. Now they're charging for those.

Not familiar w/ the changes in AA/DL/NW in E on int'l to paint them w/ the same brush as UA - can someone do a side-by-side re: E services & FA cutbacks - ie, are the others charging for cookies, cutting back FAs, etc?

And again - does anyone really think asking FAs for ways to reduce their workload cuz there will be less of them is an 'enhancement'?

After 25 years of traveling w/ UA, if they continue the cutbacks (albeit most of which don't - yet - impact me), I am now thinking of flying the int'l airlines that DO still offer service & don't nickel & dime.

Truthfully, is RCC for life worth trying for the 2MM & continuing w/ UA vs flying someone else who still offers service & a reasonable price?

OVMV. Cheers.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Didn't say that UA didn't offer meals on int'l in E.
But did they used to give cookies, chips, or other snacks for free besides the meal? If not, then charging $3 for these à la carte snacks is certainly no devaluation.

Truthfully, is RCC for life worth trying for the 2MM????
That all depends on how close you are, how many more years you plan to use the RCC (assuming they stay in business, of course), and whether you even like the RCC. If you don't pay for it now, it's probably not worth it. If you do pay for it, it's worth whatever it costs you times however many years you won't have to pay it minus the perceived aggravation you may incur by flying on UA, which is a value only you can provide.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:46 pm

Yes, the midflight snacks were free. Usually the FAs just waved you over to them rather than interupt their chatting w/ each other. They were on a cart near the back of the galley.

I'm about 500K away from 2MM; should have been closer but less flights last couple of years. But that may change in '09 & I'm starting to think about (remember I'm a loyal UA flyer for 25 years) of drinking the kool-aid of other airlines that provide better services & don't nickel & dime you rather than staying w/ UA just for RCC for life (which stoopidly I didn't buy years ago, but back then I couldn't afford it).

RCC for Life IMO is NOT worth flying an airline that keeps cutting back. If UA kept some of the features/bennies they've offered to date, but the snip, cut, snip, cut, snip, cut, at least has this loyal flyer of thinking of checking out the competition (especially w/ the min 500 going away, another devaluation).

OVMV. Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.