Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Something doesn't seem right about the number of job cuts annouced by UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Something doesn't seem right about the number of job cuts annouced by UA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2008, 1:57 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by grahampros
I think you're on to something here. It's actually relatively easy to give a range of the front line job cuts that can be expected. They know approximately how many staff per aircraft is required. Multiply that by the number of groundings, and there's your number.

Simplified version obviously and crew rotations, retraining etc have to be factored in. But, they know approx how many folks are going to have to go within a matter of a few hundred I'm sure. There are motives here for withholding that information.
Don't forget to discount that number by lack of the "efficiency of scale". Scheduling amssive numbers needs very little "reserve" or overlap....when those numbers get cut, the percentage of reserve as a total must go up to maintain coverage when the schedule is not perfect.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
posted in another thread, but UA is offering buyouts to 600 senior FAs
Old Jun 6, 2008, 6:24 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by chichow
posted in another thread, but UA is offering buyouts to 600 senior FAs
posted in post #15 in this thread too
Old Jun 6, 2008, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not sure why you are confused.

100 airplanes taken out of service is roughly 20% of UA's fleet.
1500-1600 SAM employees is also roughly 20% of UA's SAM staffing.

The rest of the numbers are still being worked out but with 20% of the fleet taken out I am pretty sure that you will see 20% of the FA's, Pilots, Rampers, etc... also loose out. Strangely the mechanics will be hit less because so much of their work is outsourced. The mechanics who will be affected who work on UA's B737's do not, for the most part, actually work for UA but rather a third party maintenance company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.