Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Ticket Fraud Dept. on the prowl of sponsored (and self-paid) upgrades? [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2008, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*

Weird thing happened to me yesterday. Just before boarding was to start on my flight, I was called to the podium. Having well cleared in advance (a couple weeks), BP in hand I was puzzled. GA was on the phone with someone, said that there was a question because the MP# of the upgrade didnt match my MP # and she asked me how I got my upgrade. I explained it was sponsored. The GA responded to the person on the phone that it was from some charity... I said no, "sponsored". She asked who sponsored me and I gave a name (one of two who have given me expiring CR-1s recently). She asked me again, I gave the same name. She wasnt satisfied, then I said another name and she seemed to be more satisfied. She gave the phone to me and it went like this:

Them: Hi, this is ticket fraud and we would like to know how you got this upgrade.
Me: It was a sponsored upgrade
Them: Who gave it to you
Me: Mr. xxx
Them: Do you know Mr. xxx?
Me: Yes.
Them: How did you get it again?
Me: It was sponsored online.
Them: How?
Me: through the Internet...
Them: From what website?
Me: United.com! You know, you go on united.com there is a place you can sponsor someone...
Them: So you know Mr. xxx?
Me: Yes.
Them: Ok let me speak to the CS rep again....

They apparently tell them GA to board me.... so weird.... I really think they had no idea what a sponsored upgrade was and wasn't just testing me. She was clearly puzzled. What triggered this audit was the fact the MP#s didnt match but wouldnt every sponsored upgrade be in that list? That's scary and going to cause problems if they are really that unknowledgeable.

Anyone else have this happen? I know last year there were some issues with this going on and some people got their accounts locked out with no ability to appeal!
Old May 28, 2008, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
these people are creatons. hopefully you didnt trade mr x for some ua stuff. if so, when he uses it, dont be surprised if it gets red flagged. Useless stupid Dept in a position of power.
Old May 28, 2008, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; SPG Plat (yay!); Hertz 5-Star
I have sponsored 4 SWU's this year and I have received 8 CR-1 sponsored UG's. I don't know how a sponsored upgrade (the option which is offered by UA on it's own website) could flag the fraud department to question the sponsorship of the UG.

I could, however; see the fraud department being involved with investigating sponsored upgrades which were being sold on E-Bay, Craigslist and the like.

If the Fraud Department is in the business of questioning the validity of sponsored upgrades, why doesn't UA head the "fraud" off at the pass and nix the option to sponsor upgrades?

If I choose to sponsor all of my 6 SWU's to FT'ers and there is no sale involved, and UA cannot prove that MP rules were broken, then what business is it of UA's to question my spoonsorship or the intent of the reciepient?

If I am ever contacted by the Fraud Department due to a sponsored upgrade (gifted or received), I will go Kung Fu on their donkeys.
Old May 28, 2008, 1:01 pm

Programs: Sexy UA 1K
In that scenario... can you just say... we are friends... when I have expiring certs that I am not going to use, I sponsor him and he just returns the favor???

Originally Posted by giggy
these people are creatons. hopefully you didnt trade mr x for some ua stuff. if so, when he uses it, dont be surprised if it gets red flagged. Useless stupid Dept in a position of power.
Old May 28, 2008, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
LNM they will kick you out of MP. I know
Old May 28, 2008, 1:07 pm
Suspended

LNM they will kick you out of MP. I know
They would kick a MP member out of MP due to "excessive sponsoring" of upgrades?

Then what in the heck is the purpose of having the option on the website to sponsor upgrades?

If this is true, than UA is truly idiotic.
Old May 28, 2008, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LurkerNoMore
If I am ever contacted by the Fraud Department due to a sponsored upgrade (gifted or received), I will go Kung Fu on their donkeys.
Well there's a sure fire way to have your account locked...

UA, of course, doesn't have to prove anything. This isn't a court of law. If they suspect you of fraud, then can lock your account. As to your question

what business is it of UA's to question my spoonsorship or the intent of the reciepient
the answer is pretty obvious: It's UA's business because the T&Cs of M+ make it their business. The rules prohibit you not only from buying and selling upgrades and miles but from bartering, exchanging, and trading them as well.
Old May 28, 2008, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
They would kick a MP member out of MP due to "excessive sponsoring" of upgrades?

Then what in the heck is the purpose of having the option on the website to sponsor upgrades?

My guess -- and it's just a guess -- is that if your upgrades are going all over the country/world to people with different last names, and the upgrades you actually use are coming from all over the country/world with different last names, it's a red flag. Period. Why wouldn't it be?
Old May 28, 2008, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by as219
Well there's a sure fire way to have your account locked...

UA, of course, doesn't have to prove anything. This isn't a court of law. If they suspect you of fraud, then can lock your account. As to your question

the answer is pretty obvious: It's UA's business because the T&Cs of M+ make it their business. The rules prohibit you not only from buying and selling upgrades and miles but from bartering, exchanging, and trading them as well.
I see your point. So, in theory, all I have to do is say that I gave away the UG's for nothing in return. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, right?

This does not bode well for those who have made CC Forum transactions.
Old May 28, 2008, 1:16 pm

I think the original idea was for family types. You start giving them out to 6 "friends" from china india and europe, they get suspicious. Thats all it takes. They like to think they are doing something to "save the integrity of the MP program and it's members" like as219 sez THEY are all powerful, and they will lock your acct til it becomes easier to just fly someone else and be forever embittered like me Hope they go chapt7
Old May 28, 2008, 1:18 pm

I see your point. So, in theory, all I have to do is say that I gave away the UG's for nothing in return. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, right?

This does not bode well for those who have made CC Forum transactions.
Sticking to it doesnt help. They are "well aware" of FT the CC and they dont like MRers...sound familiar?
Old May 28, 2008, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Sticking to it doesnt help. They are "well aware" of FT the CC and they dont like MRers...sound familiar?
All too familiar.

I do wonder how often this occurrs though.

None of my business but I'm curious: what happened in your particular situation?
Old May 28, 2008, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
I'm pretty sure they have some business rules built in to check for what might be considered weird activity. i.e a person using 100% of their upgrades as sponsored upgrades with all different people...

I do find it very disturbing that from what people have said so far that when you do fall under their radar, it becomes 'guilty until proven innocent' instead of the other way around...

Unfortunately while annoying as hell, there is very little that can be done on this end and going "Kung fu on their donkeys" (LOL) is probably not the wisest tack..... Anybody I have sponsored I have told them not to answer any questions and to tell whomever it is to contact me immediately on my cell phone instead. (Heck if I know if that will even work or be a good idea)

I think we have a better chance of guessing where the newly F/C configured planes are going to be next than this.... (Annoying as it is)
Old May 28, 2008, 1:24 pm

All too familiar.

I do wonder how often this occurrs though.

None of my business but I'm curious: what happened in your particular situation?
the infamous $100 ecerts .......s still owe me 2 grand refund for six months now.
Old May 28, 2008, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
Once again....it is a very good idea to know the name of your sponsor. It is even better if you know the city and phone number. There have been posted cases where the upgrade police have asked the user to provide the name and phone number of the sponsor. I recall that an upgrade/flight ? was denied at boarding because the user did not have a phone number of the sponsor.....or something close to that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.