Dress code in F for UA Employees?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:52 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Dress code in F for UA Employees?

Interesting conversation I overheard today on my flight back to Chicago in F. The couple siting across from me could not upgrade their son to F because the agent said he was wearing shorts. Ive never heard of that before and felt a tad out of place as I was sitting there across from them in shorts and sandals. They didnt seem to mind, I think the father told him to wear pants or something and he didnt want to, but I found it a tad odd overall. Im guessing the agent just made up his/her own rule.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by jason8612
Interesting conversation I overheard today on my flight back to Chicago in F. The couple siting across from me could not upgrade their son to F because the agent said he was wearing shorts. Ive never heard of that before and felt a tad out of place as I was sitting there across from them in shorts and sandals. They didnt seem to mind, I think the father told him to wear pants or something and he didnt want to, but I found it a tad odd overall. Im guessing the agent just made up his/her own rule.
Could have been a Non-Rev UG situation. There are dress codes for them.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA MP
I'd guess they were NRSAs and the son didn't observe the dress code. I've heard of sometimes when F is the only available class, but the NRSAs dress for Y and get left behind (apparently didn't bother changing or whatnot).
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:55 pm

Programs: Free Agent, Any Status is Accidental
Originally Posted by jason8612
I'd say so. As far as I know, the only dress code for UA premium classes is for NSA's, deadheads, etc.. basicly UA employees only. I would've gotten the agent's name and reported her.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by acregal
I'd guess they were NRSAs and the son didn't observe the dress code. I've heard of sometimes when F is the only available class, but the NRSAs dress for Y and get left behind (apparently didn't bother changing or whatnot).
Didn't think about it, but yeah, they could've been NRSAs themselves. Very possible.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely a non-rev situation.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:49 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by UAalltheway
I would've gotten the agent's name and reported her.
Reported her? For what? It wasn't the OP's issue; it was an overheard conversation - and as has been postulated here, more than likely was an employee or relative who has to abide by dress codes in order to fly in First.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Reported her? For what? It wasn't the OP's issue; it was an overheard conversation - and as has been postulated here, more than likely was an employee or relative who has to abide by dress codes in order to fly in First.
Few things are definite about the world, but this one situation where these passengers were DEFINITELY NRSAs. It just makes no sense otherwise.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I was trying to say if I was on a paid ticket and the agent wouldn't upgrade my son, I would take the agent's name.. never meant anything I would've done in the OP's position anyways, just the ticketholders.

If they were NRSA's, which it appears it was, than it's completely different..
Old Jul 4, 2006, 1:05 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
NRSA Dress Code...

All travelers are expected to dress in accordance with the standards of good taste including being 'neat,' 'clean,' and 'well groomed.' The following attire is unacceptable in any class of service.

- t-shirts
- workout attire
- sweat clothing
- bare midriff
- micro/mini skirts
- sheer/see through clothing
- tank tops
- beach clothing
- beach footwear
- cut-off clothing
- clothing with offensive terminology/graphics
- bare feet
- bathing suits
- halter or bra tops
- sleeveless muscle t-shirts
- leggings
- sweatshirts
- flip-flops
- clothing with holes/ragged edges
- provacative/revealing clothing

In addition to the items listed above, the following is unacceptable attire in First Class and Business Class:

- jeans or denim clothes of any color
- athletic or tennis shoes
- hiking/military style boots
- shorts
- baseball caps
- skin-tight or form fitting pants without mid-thigh length top

Customer service judgement will prevail in matters pertaining to dress code.

The above was from back in 2004, but pretty sure the same rules still apply today. I'm guessing those that don't follow the dress code are those who aren't the UA employees, but those traveling on the benefits of a UA employee and likely are unaccompanied.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:57 am

Programs: United 1k 1 MM
I have run into this when I am trying to use my DL flight pass. I often used it whilst on business to go see friends (BOI-SLC) several times.

As long as I get on, I don't care.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 9:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Few things are definite about the world, but this one situation where these passengers were DEFINITELY NRSAs. It just makes no sense otherwise.
Agree.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 9:54 am

Programs: AA 2MM,Marriott, Hilton
Excuse my ignorance, but what is NRSA? Non Revenue ? ?
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:05 am

Programs: Life IS good !!! ®
Non Revenue Space Available I believe.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:07 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by weinskkb
Excuse my ignorance, but what is NRSA? Non Revenue ? ?
Right. Non Revenue Space Available

Essentially employees and their family members or friends traveling on free passes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.