Search

RCC Lounge Improvements

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2008, 11:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
RCC Lounge Improvements

I'm not sure if there is already a thread on this somewhere, but the "improved benefits" thread got me thinking about the RCC lounges, and how easy it would be to improve on them. Here are some thoughts:

1. Offer real food, for a fee, to customers that want to purchase them. Sandwiches, etc, would go a long way on a long layover.

2. Sell upscale wine at the bar. Yes, I can get alcohol with a drink chit, but I'm willing to pay for the good stuff if it is available. Right now, my favorite stop is Vino Volo, but I'd happily give my money to the RCC lounge instead if it had a decent selection. And in relation to this...

3. Have a nice seating area for eating/drinking. Usually its mostly lounge chairs, but lots of people would be willing to eat in an area for eating, and the furniture is cheaper still.

4. Sell one-day RCC access at the kiosk. When you check in, offer customers access to the RCC for a fee in the same way that E+ is offered. $20 seems like an appropriate amount. Use the funds for this to upgrade the lounge.

These are just a few suggestions. I'm amazed at how bad the RCC lounges are compared to other lounges, and I think that they could actually become a profit center if they were managed correctly. Most of the above suggestions are not costs, but generate revenue, and provide a service to the customer.
Old May 10, 2008, 12:10 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Charge the customer $35 at the chicken and make the above mentioned sandwiches free!
Old May 10, 2008, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But the RCC's are already totally overcrowded. Do you really want more people in the RCC?

I actually don't think the RCC's are that bad, but I'm in the minority. I certainly wouldn't call them that bad compared to other US lounges. They have MUCH better snacks than the Admirals Club, and while you can buy food at the Admirals Club they do so at the cost of the "free" snacks.

Free wifi and decent snacks is all I care about, and UA does a pretty good job with that, IME. At SFO, for example, they'll have cheese, crackers, veggies, chips, snack mix, pretzels, etc, and while it's not particularly healthy I'd say it's better than most US lounges.

If you want free booze that's the one major improvements RCC's could make, IMO.
Old May 10, 2008, 3:49 am

Programs: DL GM, AA PLT.
Um, can't you still get a one day pass for $50?

Or is the point that it should be cheaper?

I'd suggest $5, or $3 if you can catch one of the rats that live in the toilets
Old May 10, 2008, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1k / SPG Gold / Hilton Gold / Regular peon for all other programs.
How about a "Quiet Room" that's REALLY a quiet room? (think C-side, ORD) This is my biggest pet peeve about the RCC, even more than a lack of self-serve sodas/non-alcoholic drinks.

Simple things like putting table-top cards (business card size) out in that room saying "This is a quiet zone. Cellphone use not permitted." -- I even volunteered to print them off on my computer, but the former letter writer at 1K Voice didn't take me up on that offer. Such a cheap and EASY fix to the problem.

Seriously though, make this so-called-quiet room darker and more zen-like, add a water/sound soother device (less than 50$ at Bed, Bath & Beyond) and maybe a few more fake plants. Travel is getting more and more stressful, so why not create areas that are more conducive to the whole point of the RCC... "an oasis of calm" or whatever their tag line is these days.

I guess whomever is responsible for lounges really didn't benchmark against other carriers that UA considers themselves competitors against. BA Terraces lounge comes to mind as a great place with a nice quiet zone.

On second though, does UA ever benchmark?
Old May 10, 2008, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Would love to see free alcohol at the RCC - glad to see that WiFi is now being offered, that's a big help. The RCC should just mimick the WorldClubs by NW...they're sweet.
Old May 10, 2008, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by AirlineDork
... I guess whomever is responsible for lounges really didn't benchmark against other carriers that UA considers themselves competitors against. BA Terraces lounge comes to mind as a great place with a nice quiet zone.

On second though, does UA ever benchmark? ...
Sure, here's something from the horse's mouth:
"We benchmark our international competitors to determine what our customers should expect from us for both product and service.
We recognize our customers, like our investors, have increasing choices, and we want them to choose United."
- Glenn Tilton, 04/04/2008

BA provides free access to lounges for SILVER members and up. Not to mention that what's in the lounges is free too. ^

Mr Tilton, over to you.
Old May 10, 2008, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
Would love to see free alcohol at the RCC
But then there would be no fighting the dragon for drink chits.
Old May 10, 2008, 8:46 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I agree completely... with the increase in snacks I've seen lately and the added wi-fi, this is the one thing that makes the RCC seem inferior to other domestic clubs.
Old May 10, 2008, 9:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Uniter
I agree completely... with the increase in snacks I've seen lately and the added wi-fi, this is the one thing that makes the RCC seem inferior to other domestic clubs.
That's about the only difference. I'm typing this from the CO President's Club at LAX and while I did already drink a free beer, the snack selection is cheese, crackers, breadsticks, and potato chips. Many RCCs I've visited offer better.

The decor is nothing particularly spectacular and is a bit worn. Free WiFi - that's a wash with RCC - so basically the free drinks is it. I wouldn't call the RCC inferior to this place at all.
Old May 10, 2008, 10:04 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I'd be much more inclined to purchase a day pass if UA did these like AA does, letting you use any club for the next 24 hours (if I understand correctly) downline on your itinerary. That would come in very handy on an itin like HNL-LAX-DEN-ORD-little midwestern town (a routing that the website often prices as cheapest)
Old May 10, 2008, 10:58 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by DogHead
BA provides free access to lounges for SILVER members and up. Not to mention that what's in the lounges is free too. ^
Yes but you can't usefully compare tiers like that. Silver takes more than 2 transatlantic business round-trips. On UA you would be past Prem Exec with a similar travel spend. BA hasn't had the same tier inflation that US carriers have engaged in, Gold is as high as most people can go.

I think some RCCs are fine, my main complaint is that the service is so variable. As someone mentions above SFO is decent with reasonable snacks, but then another lounge will offer very little hospitality.
Old May 11, 2008, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Dan72
Yes but you can't usefully compare tiers like that. Silver takes more than 2 transatlantic business round-trips. On UA you would be past Prem Exec with a similar travel spend. BA hasn't had the same tier inflation that US carriers have engaged in, Gold is as high as most people can go.
Not really. 2xRTN LHR-IAD in paid C on UA (... heck, even in F) wouldn't give you enough EQMs for 2P level.
Sure, BAEC Gold is as high as you could go (without being invited), but then access to all First lounges is complimentary.

Last edited by DogHead; May 11, 2008 at 7:51 am Reason: typo
Old May 11, 2008, 7:36 am
Suspended

How about a "Quiet Room" that's REALLY a quiet room? (think C-side, ORD) This is my biggest pet peeve about the RCC

I agree with the quiet zone and think the food selection is just fine.......they are not restaurants.....also....I do not want to pay for free liquor for others in my membership fee.....that's all that is needed is a bunch of liquored up people letting others know back home on their cellphone "I AM JUST SITTING IN THE JFK RED CARPET CLUB....BLAH...BLAH/BLAH...BLAH/BLAH...BLAH"....and everyone gets to listen to mundane telephone coversations until they leave the club to catch their flight...QUIET PLEASE!@:-)
Old May 11, 2008, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
But the RCC's are already totally overcrowded. Do you really want more people in the RCC?

I actually don't think the RCC's are that bad, but I'm in the minority. I certainly wouldn't call them that bad compared to other US lounges. They have MUCH better snacks than the Admirals Club, and while you can buy food at the Admirals Club they do so at the cost of the "free" snacks.

Free wifi and decent snacks is all I care about, and UA does a pretty good job with that, IME. At SFO, for example, they'll have cheese, crackers, veggies, chips, snack mix, pretzels, etc, and while it's not particularly healthy I'd say it's better than most US lounges.

I would say that the RCC probably has one of the better snack selections of the domestic lounges. However, their physicals plants are what make the RCC less than desirable IMHO. AA/CO/DL/NW all have superior physical plants(clean /well maintained/furniture in good condition/etc.) when compared to the RCC.

Another requirement is a competent friendly staff, if the majority of the UA FT board (not just my few experience with them) refers to the UA RCC employees as Matrons, than UA again fails in this department.

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.