Wiki Posts
Search

FRA Carry-On Allowance for UA F

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2008, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
FRA Carry-On Allowance for UA F

Flying PIT-IAD-FRA and back in F this weekend and wanted some clarification on carry-on size limits.

I have a standard, Euro approved roll aboard that I could use, but I may need some more packing space and wanted to use my standard size garment bag. Going to FRA, I know it won't be a problem to use, but coming back I was wondering if I'll be forced to check it.

Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA/MAR
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
Flying PIT-IAD-FRA and back in F this weekend and wanted some clarification on carry-on size limits.

I have a standard, Euro approved roll aboard that I could use, but I may need some more packing space and wanted to use my standard size garment bag. Going to FRA, I know it won't be a problem to use, but coming back I was wondering if I'll be forced to check it.

Thanks for the help.
As long as you are checking in with UA at FRA then I think you could bring a duffel bag full of heads through.

If you have any LH flights (or UA codeshares operated by LH) then they will get militant.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: LH FTL, AVIS Preferred First, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by livitup
As long as you are checking in with UA at FRA then I think you could bring a duffel bag full of heads through.

If you have any LH flights (or UA codeshares operated by LH) then they will get militant.
Of good reason, actually. Enforcing existing carry-on baggage restrictions would be action number one to ensure boarding in time. I am so tired of American airlines that do not enforce those restrictions. Boarding always takes forever and flights are regularly delayed, because travelers come aboard with over sized or too many carry ons and then there's no space in the overhead bins for those carry ons left anymore.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM

This is correct. I flew out of FRA on UA last weekend in C, and brought 2 good-sized carry ons aboard without a problem.

I also flew a couple days earlier on LH with the same carry ons. Made it to the jetway after showing the agent my BP, after which he went into a tirade about the size of my carry ons (have never, ever been an issue on UA). I showed him my 1K card and apologized and for some reason he let me on, but they are definitely militant.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Thank you all for the responses. All of my flights are on UA metal, so it doesn't look like I'll have any problems with a garment bag and a backpack. Thanks again.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 3:16 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never ever had a problem with excessive carry-on in LH F except that they like to help me up the stairs.

UA F should be no problem either.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
I have never ever had a problem with excessive carry-on in LH F except that they like to help me up the stairs
Some of us have never had the pleasure, though I intend to route my next EU trip through FRA and take a printed out SWU anyway, since that's about all they are good for for me (Z fares intl.).
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by xevious
This is correct. I flew out of FRA on UA last weekend in C, and brought 2 good-sized carry ons aboard without a problem.

I also flew a couple days earlier on LH with the same carry ons. Made it to the jetway after showing the agent my BP, after which he went into a tirade about the size of my carry ons (have never, ever been an issue on UA). I showed him my 1K card and apologized and for some reason he let me on, but they are definitely militant.
The funny thing about that is that *G doesn't get any extra "handluggage" in LH Y, only extra checked baggage.

My most recient trip on LH intra-EU was in C, and I had a 22 inch + a big (rolling) laptop/day bag. I had to gatecheck the 22 inch both times, as I was on CRJ-900's, but they gladly gate checked it both times. I have no idea if this was because I was in C, or if they consider gate checked items to be checked bags i.s.o. "hand luggage."
Old Apr 30, 2008, 5:16 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Originally Posted by Ari
I have never ever had a problem with excessive carry-on in LH F except that they like to help me up the stairs.
Absolutely 100% agree, mirrors my experience as well. Never had a problem in LH C when connecting intra-Europe, either. 22" rollaboard + laptop case (+ sometimes duty-free stuff).

Will
Old Apr 30, 2008, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by TravelinWilly
Absolutely 100% agree, mirrors my experience as well. Never had a problem in LH C when connecting intra-Europe, either. 22" rollaboard + laptop case (+ sometimes duty-free stuff).

Will
For Y, the size is not as much an issue in my experience, it's the weight. I've had many LH agents (at other EU airports - not typically at FRA) make me weigh my hand luggage and if it's over their limit (I think 8 KG). This typically happens if they think that I'm taking two bags on. My laptop bag often is over the limit, but since it's a backpack and not very big, They have never given me a hassle.

The worst was an SAS check in agent in CPH - she made my colleague weigh her weekend bag and it was just under the limit, then the agent noticed her purse/backpack and made her check the first bag (the purse was tiny, but just enough to go over the limit).

Note from the LH website:

Differing rules
In certain cases we may ask our First and Business Class passengers to check in their second piece of hand baggage:
-Flights with small aircraft, mainly on regional routes (Lufthansa Regional Partner)
-In countries with restrictive government regulations (such as United Kingdom, Italy and the USA)

Due to the limited space on board we give you the opportunity on almost all Lufthansa Regional flights to keep your cabin baggage until boarding. You hand it over directly before entering the aircraft. When disembarking you will receive your cabin baggage directly at the aircraft. For that purpose, baggage carts are positioned next to the aircraft stairs.

On flights operated by one of our cooperation partners the rules of the respective partner apply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.