Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Success/Failure of your Irrops Protection ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2008, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles

Hi All, Just one of my "curious to know" questions. I'm always sorry when irregular ops cause the usual inconveniences.

How have your experiences been when we have to Rule 120.20 (old Rule 240) involuntary reroute to other airlines? Have you found they work "seamlessly" or have you run into problems (such as the other airline experiencing delays) or ticketing mishaps ?
Old Apr 12, 2008, 8:53 pm

As long as the other airline I want to get on has space available I've never had UA tell me no. YMMV.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 3:52 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by alliance
As long as the other airline I want to get on has space available I've never had UA tell me no. YMMV.
Same here. And moreover, when there are irregular ops on AA (my second carrier and three times this past year), UA welcomes me with open arms and treats me like the VIP that I am.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 6:00 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I find I usually end up with a SSSS, but sometimes that's OK.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No issues to report either. Seamless IME.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 1:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by l'etoile
I find I usually end up with a SSSS, but sometimes that's OK.
In my experience, if you are already airside, this is not a concern.

My only beef with irrops FIM'ing to another carrier (I think this is what you are talking about -- I don't know if it is an "involuntary" reoute, though) is that I am usually the one who has to tell the GA (since I am usually airside already) that there is space on some other airline flight XXX, leaving in 40mins. If they automatically did this for everyone affected by the irrops, then I probably wouldn't even get on the other flight.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
Hi All, Just one of my "curious to know" questions. I'm always sorry when irregular ops cause the usual inconveniences.

How have your experiences been when we have to Rule 120.20 (old Rule 240) involuntary reroute to other airlines? Have you found they work "seamlessly" or have you run into problems (such as the other airline experiencing delays) or ticketing mishaps ?

This one really varies by airline you're getting sent to.

UA --> NW and it's been pretty painful both times (nothing impossible, it just wasn't clean). They did say, ahead of time, that NW isn't live with them, so they call over, verify there's space, put in a dummy booking, then send you to NWA. NW, then has to create a brand new res that mimics the dummy booking UA has, take UA's ticket numbers, and you're off.

UA --> DL was seamless (they used to have a partnership, so it's proabably all integrated).

UA --> US is easy

UA --> NZ was a bit weird. Got 2 PNRs for 2 segments and a paper FIM. UA had to call over to verify first.

AS --> UA is easy

NW --> CO is easy

CO --> anyone is painful (CO's reissue process is very difficult for its agents)

Anyway, my point being that the variance in experience could be a result of underying technical limitations communicating between carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.