Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated New Business Class Seat (Photos, Info, and Rollout) Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated New Business Class Seat (Photos, Info, and Rollout) Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2008, 10:51 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by GimmeLegRoom
If seatmaps can be believed
They can't.

- T
Old May 12, 2008, 8:04 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
I hesitate to ask these questions for fear of being roasted by the experts here for my general ignorance, but anyway...

I'm intending to fly UA first class LHR-ORD and back towards the end of August. There's a choice of flights, 2 on a 767 and 1 on a 777. The seatmap for the days I'm considering shows new configuration for the 767s (I am aware that no real reliance can be placed on this). Obviously the new 767 would be great. The trusty 777 is o.k., I suppose. The old configuration 767 is a bit, er... outdated, and especially poor for the overnight flight back. My ticket will be totally inflexible so once selected I am stuck with my flight choice.

Any experts here ready to express a view as to the chances of this route having the re-configured 767s by August?
Old May 12, 2008, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CCayley
I hesitate to ask these questions for fear of being roasted by the experts here for my general ignorance, but anyway...

I'm intending to fly UA first class LHR-ORD and back towards the end of August. There's a choice of flights, 2 on a 767 and 1 on a 777. The seatmap for the days I'm considering shows new configuration for the 767s (I am aware that no real reliance can be placed on this). Obviously the new 767 would be great. The trusty 777 is o.k., I suppose. The old configuration 767 is a bit, er... outdated, and especially poor for the overnight flight back. My ticket will be totally inflexible so once selected I am stuck with my flight choice.

Any experts here ready to express a view as to the chances of this route having the re-configured 767s by August?

For what it is worth I don't risk the chance of the old 767 West bound I do however risk it East bound I have scored 2 out of 3 new configurations on the East bound in the last four weeks. Having said that the current equipment is 2 777 flights and 1 767 flight so given only 2 new 767 flying the odds are OK, when the equipment changes to 1 777 and 2 767 flights the odds will decrease unless further new configuartion planes are added.

For me the new product is such a vast improvement the chance of getting the new seats is worth the risk of getting the old 767 but only Eastbound.

I should also note that upgrades on the new configuration are considerably harder to score. I was lucky in getting the last C seat on one occassion (I am 1k on a M which helps but GS always trumps and if you fly on a resticted fare this won't help.)

Good luck what ever you decide.
Old May 12, 2008, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Originally Posted by Maexpat
I should also note that upgrades on the new configuration are considerably harder to score. I was lucky in getting the last C seat on one occassion (I am 1k on a M which helps but GS always trumps and if you fly on a resticted fare this won't help.)
Does this mean that if I found my upgrade easy to get I should expect it not to be a new configuration? At the time I upgraded (about three weeks ago), I got the last seat assignment using the new seat map and the last NC inventory, but it was still showing C9 and today shows C5 with still no seats on the map open. Anyone know if overselling the new config means they plan on swapping the flight or are they selling to capacity of the old config even if it ends up going out with less seats?

Btw, flying UA 928 ORD-LHR this coming Thurs (5/15).
Old May 12, 2008, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be honest, aside from the slightly narrower seat width on the 767, it's practically the same seat as on the 777, so I would book the 767 for the chance for the new 767 seats.
Old May 12, 2008, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by daslax
Does this mean that if I found my upgrade easy to get I should expect it not to be a new configuration? At the time I upgraded (about three weeks ago), I got the last seat assignment using the new seat map and the last NC inventory, but it was still showing C9 and today shows C5 with still no seats on the map open. Anyone know if overselling the new config means they plan on swapping the flight or are they selling to capacity of the old config even if it ends up going out with less seats?

Btw, flying UA 928 ORD-LHR this coming Thurs (5/15).
My experience is limited to the LHR ORD direction and I failed to get anything but 'waitlisted'. I still scored 3/3 upgrades with 2/3 new config upgrades. I was told that the upgrade list was limited so that if they flew the new configuration they would have space to downgrade F passangers (less F seats) and avoid downgrades from C to Y. So in theory as you weren't waitlisted you got in early enough and should get the upgrade but I wouldn't assume that you will get the new config'. Just the luck of the draw.
Old May 12, 2008, 7:22 pm

Programs: United 2P, QMM, eleVAte
i went through most of this thread, but still a little unclear whether the newly configured 767s are used between domestic hubs. i just used a cr-1 to upgrade ord-sfo #907, and the seat map is showing the new 767 cabin configuration. is there a reasonable chance that the equipment gets switched out?
Old May 16, 2008, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
To be honest, aside from the slightly narrower seat width on the 767, it's practically the same seat as on the 777, so I would book the 767 for the chance for the new 767 seats.
The OP mentioned he was travelling F rather than J. I thought that the 777 has VERY different F seats to the old 767s? Hence would make a gamble on a new 767 a particularly brave thing to do?
Old May 16, 2008, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kryten22uk
The OP mentioned he was travelling F rather than J. I thought that the 777 has VERY different F seats to the old 767s? Hence would make a gamble on a new 767 a particularly brave thing to do?
Absolutely. In the case of flying F I'd book the 777, and if it really looks like a sure thing on the new F suite on the 767 closer in to the flight date I'd look at changing. But certainly book a 777 F over 767 F.
Old May 16, 2008, 9:12 am

Yes that was my thought having flown on the IAD-LHR day flight last year and thought I'd wandered into a time warp with the 767's seats bringing back memories of an earlier decade....

It's a shame because I'd really like to try the new 767 F product, but given the uncertainty and risk it really does not seem wise to book a non-flexible ticket on these flights just now.

Thanks for views/information everyone.
Old May 16, 2008, 9:36 am

Yes that was my thought having flown on the IAD-LHR day flight last year and thought I'd wandered into a time warp with the 767's seats bringing back memories of an earlier decade....

It's a shame because I'd really like to try the new 767 F product, but given the uncertainty and risk it really does not seem wise to book a non-flexible ticket on these flights just now.

Thanks for views/information everyone.
The reviews of the new F are few and far between, but the gist of it is that the new F is only a brief facelift of the current 777 suite at best. Hence not a revolution or important move like the new J.
Old May 16, 2008, 12:16 pm

The reviews of the new F are few and far between, but the gist of it is that the new F is only a brief facelift of the current 777 suite at best. Hence not a revolution or important move like the new J.
It partly depends on whether you believe Seatguru or Seatexpert. Guru says pitch 78 inches, width 20.5, which is slightly narrower than the 777. Expert agrees on pitch but lists width as 31" with arms lowered. That could make quite a difference in bed mode, but not revolutionary I agree.
Old May 17, 2008, 11:18 pm

Shanghai to Chicago- New Business Class seats?

I will be flying Shanghai to Chicago in June and return in July from Chicago to Shanghai.

Are the new business class seats on these flights.

Thanks.

Flight # are 836 and 835
Old May 18, 2008, 12:03 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
No, not at all.
Old May 18, 2008, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
So, are there any updates on the reconfiguration schedule? It is now over 6 months since the first plane came out and there are a total of 3 planes done. 3. It really is past time for UA to start explaining. I don't agree that glitches in the IFE system are "understandable". This is not brand new technology. It is in place on lots of planes, some even have live satellite TV. Fix it or get a new provider.

What is the new schedule for completion? I think that is a reasonable question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.