Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

More news from Ted - Montana destinations this summer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:01 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

United's Ted will be coming to Montana in force this summer with twice daily A-320 service from Denver to both Missoula and Bozeman as well as once daily between Chicago O'Hare and Bozeman. It appears that United is putting in lower cost aircraft into these markets to compete with the newly announced Frontier service to both Missoula and Bozeman. Both Missoula and Bozeman will see frequency reductions for the summer by United but total seats will be up a bit because of the much larger aircraft.

I put in a couple of dummy bookings for July and they produced Ted options!
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
They need new advertising to go along with this...

Ted! It's Not Just For Sunny Southern Places Anymore.

Come Fly Ted to Montana - The Big State Up At The Top Of Your Map.

Ted to Montana: 'Cuz We Gave Up on Florida and Arizona.

Seriously - not to slight Montana or anything, but this just seems like total seat and lift overkill to me.
THE SCENE: offices of UA exec in charge of making the flight schedule:
UA GUY: "Hmmm...well, Ted is a miserable failure, but we just can't admit that. Since we are not making any money flying to the popular tourist spots like Florida, Vegas, Arizona, Mexico and New Orleans, let's try...(closes eyes, throws dart at US map...thunk...) Montana!! That's it!! Montana is the reason Ted's been under performing!! We should have been flying 156 seat planes to small Montana airports all this time! And here we've been banging our head against the wall, trying to make money by flying people to big airports like MCO and LAS."

Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:17 am

Programs: Lots
The Ted fleet is pretty much completely utilized. Where are they going to get these birds from? Either mainline is about to lose more 320's or some routes are losing Ted. A cursory check shows no obvious Ted route cuts in the summer.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Does this feel like it did right before the end of Sh*ttle by United? Huge expansion to oddball cities just before scrapping the whole thing. Of course, this could be the start of what I see as the future of NA aviation - single class planes with "business" class ala Europe.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:55 am

Clearly, the UA execs were looking for a way to exploit the popularity of Hannah Montana. A few execs took a cursory look at a map of Montana, but were unable to locate this Hannah that all the kids are so crazy for. As such, it was decided to just fly to Missoula and Bozeman and hope that teenage girls would talk their parents into making the drive from wherever Hannah is.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Actually, I think they're trying to exploit the obvious success of Ted's Montana Grill. Yum!
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond
Well, it does make the Rapid City route news make a bit more sense. I guess Ted is trying to cash in on the growing tourist business in MT and SD...?

What's next, Ted service to Sheridan, Wyoming...?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:21 am

LAWL! Now there is a Hannah Montana ringtone ad at the bottom of this page! Everyone is cashing in on Hannah Montana!! And for once, United is part of the trend, not left out as usual. ^
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Maaybe this is a way to kill TED... get his loads down by sending him to places nobody flies to. Next, fly TED to FAT!
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Actually, I think they're trying to exploit the obvious success of Ted's Montana Grill. Yum!
I tried the lemonade there. It was not so much.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:09 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
Any chance the TED addition will bring down summer fares to Montana? Or has F9 already accomplished that? I lived in Missoula for a while, and could never afford to fly out. It's a beautiful destination, btw. Better than Rapid City.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:17 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LGACIC
Any chance the TED addition will bring down summer fares to Montana? Or has F9 already accomplished that? I lived in Missoula for a while, and could never afford to fly out. It's a beautiful destination, btw. Better than Rapid City.
It looks like it will have some effect on the prices. Fares look about $100 cheaper than I recall seeing just a few weeks ago. (Have family in MSO) Still a terrible CPM, though.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:40 am

Programs: Frontier Summit, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by flyinryan
We should have been flying 156 seat planes to small Montana airports all this time!
Even Frontier is not bothering with their 318 and 319s. They are sending the 74-76 seat E170s and Q400s.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by JaggedMind
Even Frontier is not bothering with their 318 and 319s. They are sending the 74-76 seat E170s and Q400s.
Exactly. Hey, maybe I'm way off and United is onto something here, but it really does seem to me like big-time available seat overkill. So, all the theories about something else being the mitigating factor here make sense - ie:
-Ted aircraft will be freed up as some Ted cities go back to mainline later this year,
-route(s) being subsidized by local tourism industry (I think this one is a not so much, myself.)
-UA has just had it with trying to make a buck using Ted, and short of admitting the folly of the whole thing and scrapping it, this is all they got left. Which is sorta like the first one, I guess.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:03 pm

Programs: UAL
I flew DL to FCA a few years ago - an RJ out of SLC.

The flights were packed. Middle of the week, and both 6AM and 7AM FCA-SLC flights were completely full.

So, anecdotally, there's plenty of demand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.