Wiki Posts
Search

Drink Chit Use in Flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:32 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM *G. Continental *G
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
Has anyone been successful in using expired In-flight drink chits? I still have all 10 chits from last year that will expire in JUN 08.
I did not know that drink chits expired? I have used some very old drink chits, such as the ones that came with United Connection and some others whose source I don't remember. I've never had a problem with their acceptance.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
Has anyone been successful in using expired In-flight drink chits? I still have all 10 chits from last year that will expire in JUN 08.
I have been known to place mine in inconspicuous places at a variety of UA hubs for other FTers to pick up, James Bond-style.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by UNITED959
I have been known to place mine in inconspicuous places at a variety of UA hubs for other FTers to pick up, James Bond-style.
I've been known to offer mine to (RTGL) James Bond wannabes for free.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:35 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Perhaps the reason they're supposed to be restricted to RCC is for accounting/budgeting reasons. At the end of the day, from the outside, there may not seem to be a difference to the bottom line; though from internal views that couldn't be further from the truth. Inflight Services and RCC probably operate on different budgets, and need to account for their own revenue/costs. RCC can give out the chits to their members as people have paid top dollar to be members (and when in the club they know you're a member, or have at least paid for the day's membership). On a flight, there's no assurance that the person using the chit was the original receipient.

If this is the case, then handing out chits in RCC that are in turn "cashed in" on the flight may help RCC's bottom line but it doesn't do anything for inflight services'.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:51 am
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Don't forget that the newer 'inflight' chits have an expire date of one year while the RCC chits do not. I still have one of the old pink inflight chits that Randy gave us at the PIP.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:52 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ua_to_ord
I believe these are the new chits just arrived in 1K kits (i.e. those arriving with cards for 2008 status). Unlike past chits, these are printed on one large, folded sheet with perforations.
Not so. They've been on one large sheet with performations for years - at least since 2002 to my certain knowledge. They haven't always been blue, though. One year (2004?) they were a bronze-y color. The difference between the latest ones and pre-2007 chits is that they are dated
Old Feb 22, 2008, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Goes2Oz
Just more inconsistency. OK, UA fliers, do you want total rigid consistency? Or do you want some semblance of common sense? In all honesty, your own interests aside, what do you think we should do to provide good customer service? Inquiring minds want to know.
Why not just one type of drink voucher? It always struck me that two drinks are not always consumed in the RCC, but from time to time one ends up the E+ and that unused RCC voucher would come in handy. UA could really do better by having a single drink voucher, distributed at RCC entry for appropriate fares/customers, as well as provide those books of "inflight" vouchers for sale at the desk. Rolled into a single voucher, we'd have flexibility and UA would save lots of printing and other distribution costs. Not to mention handling cash at the bar. (Courier/postage for a book of inflights costs as much as a voucher, thus negating the savings unless one purchases more than 5 books, so being able to buy them at the RCCs by credit card would seem a logical and very convenient way of handling things.)
Old Feb 22, 2008, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I drink little alcohol. Even though over the years I have given inflight drink chits away relatively freely to my friends, I still have 5 or so 1K chits from 2002!
Old Feb 22, 2008, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I drink little alcohol. Even though over the years I have given inflight drink chits away relatively freely to my friends, I still have 5 or so 1K chits from 2002!
Oh, hi, friend!

Several reactions:

1. I don't think it's a problem using expired chits but YMMV. Most FAs simply pocket them without looking at 'em too carefully. I mean, they are in the aisle trying to manuever a heavy cart and serve up drinks to a lot of people.

2. I too wonder about the RCC/in-air distinction. If it's for accounting purposes, then each should only be used were valid.

3. I've often wondered why you can't use the chits for BOB since enough people pay cash for drinks/BOB that it evens out in the end.

4. I've often wondered why you couldn't use your credit card when checking in and being able to buy drink/BOB chits. Seems to me it would make the FAs job a bit easier not having to deal with cash.

Okay, enough wondering.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Why not just one type of drink voucher? It always struck me that two drinks are not always consumed in the RCC, but from time to time one ends up the E+ and that unused RCC voucher would come in handy. UA could really do better by having a single drink voucher, distributed at RCC entry for appropriate fares/customers, as well as provide those books of "inflight" vouchers for sale at the desk. Rolled into a single voucher, we'd have flexibility and UA would save lots of printing and other distribution costs. Not to mention handling cash at the bar. (Courier/postage for a book of inflights costs as much as a voucher, thus negating the savings unless one purchases more than 5 books, so being able to buy them at the RCCs by credit card would seem a logical and very convenient way of handling things.)
Thanks, I will submit your suggestion.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by Goes2Oz
It costs too much to audit this, and the goodwill is more productive. (...) they also want us to make customer friendly decisions as well.
In that case, could you explain the best way to get an FA to accept a drink chit for BOB? Obviously, the chits are for alcoholic beverages only, but since both alcohol and BOB cost $5, and since there are plenty of people paying cash for alcohol, it seems like it'd be trivial to do a back-end switcheroo to satisfy the accounting department... yet I've managed to redeem a chit for BOB exactly once out of maybe ten attempts. Most FAs will say it's against the rules and they don't want to "risk" the switcheroo despite the fact that (seemingly, to me) there is no way it could ever get caught, since it actually balances out perfectly (unlike the case with the RCC drink chits, where accounting can see that an incorrect type of payment was accepted).

So... how can I get more FAs to accept a drink chit for BOB?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cepheid, I'm no FA but I have had 100% success rate with this, and have a decent sample size. I usually start my saying "I get these drink chits every year in my 1K kit and since I don't drink I don't really get any value out of it, so is there any chance you could let me use it for a sandwich/BOB/wrap?" All but once I've had the FA immediately say "yes," and the other time I just said "but you can just record the drink chit for the booze and someone else's $5 for a snack, right?" They FA then immediately agreed.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
There may be liquor laws that prohibit using drink vouchers for food, but I would assume it's really up to the FA. After all, there is pretty likely to be enough cash to "exchange" for a voucher. It's really just a matter of taking the voucher for a snack, then next time someone buys a drink, putting their $5 cash into the food till, and the voucher into the booze one.

AC actually has an online booking feature that allows you to buy the snack item at the time of booking your flight -- $6 added to the charge -- and it is indicated on your boarding pass and a manifest the FA has. Over at AA, they are now using those credit card swipe machines for drinks and food in coach.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I have had 100% success rate with this, and have a decent sample size.
You must be a better charmer than I... I ask just the same way and every time except the one it worked, I get, "Sorry, we're not allowed to do that." Even when I point out that they can do the switcheroo so easily.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Chits flying like peanuts

A post on this thread earlier commented on my statement that chits were being readily handed out by not just the UA RCC greeter, but another UA employee who was walking through the lounge.

This was a busy Friday afternoon and actually, people were commenting at how well the IAD lounge was being managed that particular day.

Anyway, it was very crowded and the greeter was being very efficient at screening BP's and acknowledging each ticketed passenger. I did not see a case of where she had to turn anybody away. BTW she was not at the front service desk in the lounge, but at a kiosk located just inside the sliding front door. Anyway, she greeted you and asked if you would like two tickets.

The employee walking through the lounge seemed to be more of a QA person. She would ask people if they were getting flight information or follow up on somebody's request for upgrade information which they had left at the service desk. Anyway, as she walked around interacting with people she would offer them a drink chit.

To be honest, all in all, I thought that it was a VERY good example of how a busy RCC should be run. It was well bused, very clean and there seemed to be a definite "we care" atitude by the staff. There was even a comment by the QA person that she wished that the TMOB were more readily available and free for RCC users when somebody asked her, but that no she did not have free "day passes" for use.

The only thing this RCC was really missing on this particular Friday was fresh food. There was a ready supply of standard pre packaged foods and peanuts and pretzels. But all in all the staff was doing there best to make the wait a plesent experience.

I would hesitate to chalk the experience up to a UA "inconsistent" experience, because obviously this crew gave a darn and was trying. I'll give credit where credit is due and this crew deserves credit. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.