Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Jetblue starts LAX service at T6: Let's hope UA matches fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2008, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

From To Daily flights Sale fare (a)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Los Angeles Boston 1 $159
Los Angeles New York/JFK 3 $129
----------------------------------------
Old Feb 12, 2008, 2:47 pm

Programs: ex-elite, now just pay C/J myself to avoid the hassle of keeping status.
Originally Posted by zrs70
From To Daily flights Sale fare (a)
Los Angeles Boston 1 $159
Los Angeles New York/JFK 3 $129
----------------------------------------
No way will UA matches this on its p.s. flights. Absolutely no way.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Remember that it is an introductory sale. I was looking around at some flights way out and I could not even find those prices. What I could find was about $425 round trip, which is about as low as I have seen PS flights way out these days.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 3:02 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
I wish VX picked up the LAX-BOS route. B6 is intriguing but only if I'm flying coach. I would imagine that UA will match the BOS fares.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Not a factor in PDX

Jetblue has been at PDX and has been a non-factor as far as price goes...even on their greatly limited list of destinations, their prices are unimpressive and since we've only got the red-eye, I don't think other airlines feel obligated to match in the way that they do with southwest where there is almost a perpetual $99 sale to the east coast where as on Jetblue, $129 is about as low as they typically go and even then good luck finding the seats with only 1-3 flights a day
Old Feb 12, 2008, 3:24 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by undersky
No way will UA matches this on its p.s. flights. Absolutely no way.
Why not?

Or to say it another way, are you saying? UA will not match these fares because they cannot match them or need not match them?

B6 is exploiting the Achilles heel of PS.

Last edited by J.Edward; Feb 12, 2008 at 4:49 pm Reason: clarity
Old Feb 12, 2008, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by J.Edward
B6 is exploiting the Achilles heel of PS.
Huh? p.s. is about about the premium seats. UA couldn't care less about discounting to fill up the WHY seats.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 3:31 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
United needs to keep their pricing eye on JetBlue in the Los Angeles area. While B6's frequency at LAX to JFK ain't going to be much, the airline is a powerhouse for this route in Southern California. They will be flying from four of the five regional airports.

While FT road-warriors will continue to push business to their legacy favorites (AA, UA, DL), a lot of well to do travelers fly B6 from Burbank. It's hip to fly their coach service. People in the entertainment industry who could arrange for a paid "C" ticket on PS, will book JetBlue from Burbank to make a statement (whether to show they can be part of the proletariat, or for the convenience).
Old Feb 12, 2008, 3:40 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by qasr
Huh? p.s. is about about the premium seats. UA couldn't care less about discounting to fill up the WHY seats.
Yes, it is about premium seats.

Premium F.
Premium C.
Premium Y.

The Achilles heel within PS is the need for people to pay a premium for the service as that's the only the service will remain viable. Should people not be willing to pay a premium, UA's still less revenue to offset the increased CASM of PS.

No matter who one looks at it, PS economic viability is dependent upon a RASM premium.

Back to B6 - I would be surprised if C demand is affected by this, and even more so with regards to F, but this will serve to risk hurting either UA's yields (should they choose to match) or UA's market share (should they not choose to match).
Old Feb 12, 2008, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
I am SO hoping UA matches (or at least comes close to) B6 to BOS since I go there a couple times a year now to the in-laws. For fun I compared prices for mid-August and there's a $216 fare difference between B6 and UA.

As I also stated in the B6 forum, it'll also be interesting to see how their BUR-IAD flights do. BUR-MCO didn't last too long a couple years ago.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
WOW $129 to JFK and $159 to BOS is HARDLY a sale. This is the introductory sale?

Remember the LGB-ORD introductory sale? $39 each way. That, my friend, is an introductory sale.

Actually, I prefer flying out of LGB if I were to fly B6 for many many reasons. I wouldn't fly from LAX.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I agree, it's hardly a sale...the standard cross-country "sale" fares are typically $99 each way.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 5:04 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
It would be a sale if United matches them and loades the one-way fares as round-trips, as they have been known to do.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Yes, it is about premium seats.

Premium F.
Premium C.
Premium Y.
Too bad United doesn't actually offer Premium Y on p.s.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Too bad United doesn't actually offer Premium Y on p.s.

Haha. You beat me to it. Premium and Y on P.S is a misnomer.

When B6 started JFK/ONT a few years back, UA matched fares. I was happy to fly JFK/LAX/ONT. Win-win at the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.