Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
How is a US Silver taking a one-off T fare flight on UA paying the freight v. someone without status buying a Q fare during spring break (high cost)?
It's not - neccesarily. You've misread my EP.

My point was that ALL airline customers demand as much as possible for as little cost as possible.
With the heady growth of the point to point carriers (rather than hub carriers) this has simply been increased.

In order to compete with WN (and others) for a certain segment of the population - those that make their flight decisions on the basis of the cheapest fare shown on Travelocity or Orbitz:
They NEED TO DO THIS SORT OF THING. Period.

UA also said that only 25% of their customers check more than 1 bag now, so the panic about lost revenue and customer base being shown on this thread are, IMO, baseless.

Best, Dave
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bseller
UA also said that only 25% of their customers check more than 1 bag now
Close, but not quite. Only 25% of passengers check more than one bag on a given flight when averaged out. A higher percentage sometimes check in more than one bag.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by lawchild
That's the Ryanair model. How does UA adopting that fit into its alleged plan to be a "business" airline?
Well, now you've figured out UA's merger partner.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by jetsetter
But in Asia and perhaps Europe they strictly go by the book.
Less checked luggage = more room for cargo. This is an important source of revenue for many Asian carriers
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Only 25% of passengers check more than one bag on a given flight when averaged out. A higher percentage sometimes check in more than one bag.
Fair enough. I appreciate the differences that you've pointed out. Nonetheless, my point about how this is not going to be the end of UA is still bolstered by the statistic, as you've corrected me.

Best, Dave

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Boo for this move.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my point about how this is not going to be the end of UA
I agree with you there.
I think this is unfriendly and bad for passengers.
I think it is a questionable business decision.
I don't think it will be the policy that destroys the airline.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
It's beyond me why anyone would travel with 3 bags. I don't think I have traveled with more than one checked bag in over a decade (and I still generally bring too much stuff even in that one suitcase). Most of the time I travel with just carry-on.

Since WN indicates 2% of their travelers fall into the 3 bag category, I would think chances are pretty slim of UA having many families of 4 traveling with three bags EACH. What kind of rental car are they going to get at the destination anyway? And what are they going to do with all that stuff during their one-a-year Disneyland vacation?

People just have too much stuff (and I include myself in that).
FYI, I have checked 3 bags a lot in the recent past. I was moving my fiancee to Vegas (from LA) and I would check 3 bags each way, every weekend for 3 months. We essencially moved almost everything of hers up.

That is one reason I loved the 1P (and now 1K) 3 bags at 70 lb limit.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:31 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I often go a week with just a carry on, but as I said, I was the lead at a conference and I just got back from a trip where I checked 2 bags for my return. I could see checking 2-3 bags for people that are setting up equipment or products for trade shows in the event that the items are not pre-shipped to the venue. The checked baggage made the security screening and airport experience better since I didn't have to shlep all that equipment and literature around with me the whole time.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA/MAR
You all are looking at this from the wrong angle. Rather than an erosion of standard enhancements, you should look at it as an enhancement of elite benefits!
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think this is unfriendly and bad for passengers.
I think that's probably right. FWIW: 'friendliness' is not always the best way to make $$ in the airline biz, but that's for another thread.
I think it is a questionable business decision.
Time will tell. Only long run revenue enhancement and profit maximization will answer that question.
I have a deep seated suspicion that UA is aware of the ramifications of this move. Others may disagree - so be it.

Best, Dave
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Aside for the skiing folk, does anyone really check 2 bags/items? I can't even think of a time when I checked 2 bags.
It affects a good number of students too.

It affects people that are changing residence or relocating temporarily domestically.

The list goes on even as it is only a minority of passengers domestically who check two bags in.

I sometimes check in two bags because of the stupid "war on liquids" being waged by the Department of Homeland (In)Security.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
FYI, I have checked 3 bags a lot in the recent past. I was moving my fiancee to Vegas (from LA) and I would check 3 bags each way, every weekend for 3 months. We essencially moved almost everything of hers up.
So UA should now aim to compete with U-Haul?
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I think that's probably right. FWIW: 'friendliness' is not always the best way to make $$ in the airline biz, but that's for another thread.

Time will tell. Only long run revenue enhancement and profit maximization will answer that question.
I have a deep seated suspicion that UA is aware of the ramifications of this move. Others may disagree - so be it.

Best, Dave
Annoying customers results in losing customers when it is cheaper to retain a current one than to find a new one -- especially when the travel industry is about to feel an even more serious squeeze given the state -- and seemigly direction -- of the economy. UA: penny-wise, pound foolish -- and they may not even necessarily know it.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Annoying customers results in losing customers when it is cheaper to retain a current one than to find a new one
It's possible that you're right. Or, you could be wrong in this case.

Your simplistic view and analysis of UA's revenue situation doesn't give me CONFIDENCE that it's the former - sorry.

Best, Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.