Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LA, WN, SPG Plat, MR Gold
Originally Posted by mre5765
No, I'm thinking the $25 will encourage skiers to fly another airline. Which is excellent because now planes of of DEN will load faster in the winter.

As has been pointed out, $25 * 4 for a family of 4 is enough to encourage a customer to switch airlines.
$25 x 4 x 2 (unless they're flying one way).
Old Feb 4, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta Pb Medallion
So which airline follows next? Like the transition from free food to buy-on-board food, it seems like all it takes is one airline to take the first step.

I view all airlines as eager to just make more money for the same product, it is just that no one has the guts to take the first step. With UA charging for luggage, folks like AA probably aren't thinking "woohoo, UA customers will come our way." Instead they're probably saying "finally, someone took the first step, now we can do the same thing, make more money on the same product, and we won't be the bad guy because we didn't do it first."

I predict that all major carriers have this same policy implemented in 5 years or less. And once we're there, the only question will be who takes the first step to charge for ALL checked baggage... even that first piece (which I realize many budget carriers already do - at least in Europe).
Old Feb 4, 2008, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
this truly sucks for non status members.....know I will always make sure I have status on this airline.....

im glad they havent starting charging just for carrying a snowboard like they do a surfboard.....i usually fly iad-den 4-5 times/year and usually for weekend snowboard trips, this will definitly deter the casual traveler from UA......

UA WILL LOSE MONEY BECAUSE OF THIS!
Old Feb 4, 2008, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DCAview
Lots more information available at http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52519,00.html.

Highlights include:
* Saver award tickets get one free bag, Standard award tickets get two.

* Non-status passengers traveling on same itinerary as status passengers may check two bags for free.

* Fee is determined based on your status at time of check-in, not ticket purchase.

* You cannot check a second bag (and pay the fee) at curbside check-in; you must go to the counter or kiosk.

* Skis will count as a checked bag, so if you want to bring skis and luggage, you're looking at a $25 fee. (This, by the way, will make next winter very challenging for United at destinations like DEN and SLC, I think.)

* Car seats (when traveling with a lap baby) may still be checked for free in addition to a bag.
As long as there are UA competitors who don't do this, UA can kiss goodbye to the revenue from my ski trips for intra-US or US-Canada flights -- I won't subject my travel companions to these surcharges and will thus tend to have to book away from UA for my ski trips.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 12:58 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Originally Posted by jetsetter
I wonder if this is a valid generalization about differing cultures rather than being limited to air travel? Does it more relate to Asian or European or both cultures? E.g. how empowered do employees in these different cultures feel to make their own decisions that may violate company policies?
I'm certainly no expert on world cultures, but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that this is definitely a reflection on the differences around the world. Most of the world has a general belief that the good of society trumps that of the individual, and authority is not to be questioned (for some support, look at the NTSB reports for any aircraft accident involving an Asian carrier over the years). The US, on the other hand, was founded on the basis of the primacy of the individual. Individuals are more important than cities, cities are more important than states, and states are more important than the Federal government (no further comment on how that has become corrupted). This also helps to explain why the ICC gives such lousy service by our standards.

I've been giving some thought to this new policy while wading through the (so far) 7 pages of comments, which I came to right after reading the article and comments in the Chicago Tribune. To some extent, I think that bseller is correct in the belief that it's fully justified, but I see the other side, as well. One of the writers to the Tribune mentioned that he flies several times a year, but not enough to achieve elite status (which, you have to admit, is harder to do when you live in the center of the country to start with; your trips are quite likely to be shorter). The question that came to my mind is why anyone would suffer through this in order to reach the elite levels.

What bugs me, though, is that the fee applies to all nonrefundable fares. Last time I checked, that includes everything except Y and B, and you can't say M and H fares are anything approaching rock-bottom cheap! Perhaps the airlines should try simplifying the fare structures a bit, with maybe the following tiers:

El cheapo. No free anything except water, no seat assignments before check-in at the airport, seats in the back of the plane, etc.

Reasonable. Normal creature comforts included, such as coffee, tea, and soft drinks. Two checked bags free. Advance seat selection, but no access to prime seats (exit rows, E+).

Full. What one would expect when paying obscene prices for a mediocre (at best) product. BOB-quality meals free. E+ access in advance (but unoccupied neighboring seat still restricted to elite flyers).

Elite flyers could get an instant "upgrade" to the next category at the time of purchase, with 1K and maybe 1P going up to the "full" category even at the "el cheapo" fares.

I don't buy into the idea that all, or even a vast majority of, flyers want nothing but the cheapest fares. Unfortunately, none of the airlines give us a chance to prove otherwise -- you can pay through the nose and other orifices to sit up front, or you can get sub-Greyhound service levels in the back. There's no in-between. (And I'll admit that part of the problem is that too many tickets are bought by corporate travel offices, and all that matters is their own bottom line -- the comfort of the passenger is meaningless, although they'll turn around and get a top-of-the-line hotel room without blinking an eye.)
Old Feb 4, 2008, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jetsetter
Blort: I was referring to the policy affecting lower income travelers such as the noted example of a family of 4 having to pay a large amount if they each bring 3 bags.
It's beyond me why anyone would travel with 3 bags. I don't think I have traveled with more than one checked bag in over a decade (and I still generally bring too much stuff even in that one suitcase). Most of the time I travel with just carry-on.

Since WN indicates 2% of their travelers fall into the 3 bag category, I would think chances are pretty slim of UA having many families of 4 traveling with three bags EACH. What kind of rental car are they going to get at the destination anyway? And what are they going to do with all that stuff during their one-a-year Disneyland vacation?

People just have too much stuff (and I include myself in that).
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bseller
Ahhhhh! The benefits of status.

Seriously, this is the order of things to come - and it is the very people who are going to be paying the freight (pardon the pun ) - are the ones who've forced the airlines to DEMAND it.
How is a US Silver taking a one-off T fare flight on UA paying the freight v. someone without status buying a Q fare during spring break (high cost)?

UA policies have trended towards rewarding revenue generating customers, but this one has taken a step backwards IMHO.

Implementing this policy will not be worth the hassle IMHO.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:08 pm

Programs: United 1 k ;Hertz Gold; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Priority Club Gold; BMI Silver
this explains a lot

This explains a lot. I flew today IAD to ORD and when I boarded 1st class every bin was full and in fact they had to find additional space. Coach seemed to take forever to finish boarding. I noticed out the window that about 10-15 pieces of luggage were sent down from the plane because of lack of space on board. It must have taken 20 minutes to board economy. Hmmm should they charge these people because they were slow getting to a bin? LOL

As for the change itself, I just hope they enforce carry on limits! I have always hated the passengers that want to carry on everything including the kitchen sink.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mre5765
Given that you are a 2P, by the time you board, you may find you have no choice ... the overhead bins will be full.
With this change, even GS, 1ks, 1Ps, and *Gs are going to find the overhead bins more full than is even the norm today -- at least for those of us who board at the end regardless of published entitlement to earlier boarding.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by dliesse
What bugs me, though, is that the fee applies to all nonrefundable fares. Last time I checked, that includes everything except Y and B, and you can't say M and H fares are anything approaching rock-bottom cheap!
Wrong. Refundable fares depend on your market and routes. I am often able to get fully refundable W fares.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA CK, DL PLT, HH DIA, MARRIOTT PLT, FAIRMONT LT PLT, HYATT DIA, SIXT PLT, AVIS PC
It is sad to see an airline such as United which has the great potential to be a leading premium service airline has such a lack of management that they have become more of a discount airline then Southwest and ATA. It is a shame that Continental did not purchase United when it was in bankruptcy and turn this now pathetic airline into a world class airline.

Last edited by benolaa; Feb 4, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Programs: Frontier Summit, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Since WN indicates 2% of their travelers fall into the 3 bag category,...
Actually, the less than 2% quote from WN is of the passengers that check one or more bags, not their whole customer base. So they see very little three-bag passengers. Of course, someone checking three might be more likely to max out the weights.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Also, in the past, for tickets purchased by Feb 28, the BPs would sometimes show the old status upon check-in ( a benefit if dropping levels). Is that still the case?
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Aside for the skiing folk, does anyone really check 2 bags/items? I can't even think of a time when I checked 2 bags.

Also, as a 1k, when travelling with family, I always check the bags under my name in case something happens in transit to them, because I have access to the 1k baggage claim special line. Sometimes that means 3 bags under my name, but it works.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Even though this new policy would not affect me that much (like travel travel light), I dislike the UA change . Twice a year, it impacts me when I go on my golf vacation and have to check in the golf bag (big). Airlines that do not charge ($100+ extra) for golf bag will get my business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.