Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: UA MM 1K; HA Pualani Gold, SWA A-List; Aloha Silver (RIP); HH Gold
Wow. This is jacked. I travel to HNL about 8 times a year and usually use curbside check-in since I'm alone and don't want to have to put my luggage thru the Agricultural scan and then stand in line. Usually I check my bags at curbside, return the rental car and then walk to the gate. I'm falling to 2P this year and sometimes I've got 3 bags to check. I usually give the skycap a nice tip to check them all, but if the system defaults to having to check the bags at the counter and I have to go through Agricultural myself, I may rethink a different carrier or try to get back to 1P.

Those summer travelers to Hawaii (and other vacation destinations) are gonna get screwed coming home.

Since I didn't get a food choice on my last trip and my seat was changed without notice, it doesn't surprise me. It's all about the bottom line...
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:23 am

As I said before, it only works if other carrier match ... which they won't.

It's pretty absurd to believe that a golfer or skier would pay $50 more that any other airline to fly United.

$10 maybe, $25 each way, no way
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:27 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Inconsistency for Star Silver non-UA members

Just read the UA page on this mentioned upthread. Though the narrative on the page says "Customers purchasing nonrefundable domestic economy tickets who do not have status in Mileage Plus or Star Alliance may check one bag for free and a second bag for a $25 service fee. Customers who have attained Premier status or higher in Mileage Plus or who have Silver status and above with a Star Alliance partner, are exempt from this policy change."

However, the tables below which show who gets which allowance (1/50, 2/50, or 3/70) only explicitly mention "All First or Business class customers / All Economy class customers on refundable fares / All Premier and Premier Associate Mileage Plus members on any fare" with no mention at all of Star Silver. Unlike the section below it for the 3/70 allowance which does mention Star Gold in addition to the UA-specific levels (GS, 1K, 1P).

You just know that UA TAs are going to apply this inconsistently to OAL *S unless UA corporate clears up this confusion.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:27 am

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
[[Saver award tickets get one free bag, Standard award tickets get two.]]

So if one is 2p, 1p, 1K, and has a domestic saver award and two bags they pay $25.00 for the second bag?

What about 3p? Now they are not premier associate? They are not mentioned as I have found yet...
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by bseller
I don't believe that this charge will impact the segment you describe in the way you describe it. Sorry.
I don't think it's that cut and dried. Sure, in a hub city, people are probably not going to shift to NW/CO/DL and change planes just to save $50 (remember, they have to fly home too...) per person. But if you're flying out of MSN for example, does it really matter if you connect at ORD on UA, ORD on AA, or MSP/DTW on NW?

Now, one can argue that it's worth nailing all the ORD/DEN/SFO fliers and risking a share of the other fliers... I don't think any of us know enough about their demand choice models to accurate assess which side of the coin will land face up.

I can see a strawman that this is a way of introducing another fare class, and raising prices $25 across all fare classes when this gets pulled down "as a response to the wishes of the public." The new fare class (let's call it R for Ryanair) is at the current L price, but with a one-bag allowance for ALL fliers and no seat assignment until OLCI, regardless of status.

An interesting idea to mitigate the downsides you've described. Extra legroom + extra bag ONLY $25. Extra bag/no extra legroom: $25.

As an elite, however, I HATE this idea.
Why? You're in F anyway! Besides $25 would only be for sub-500 mile flights. For a transcon, it'd be much more revenue.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Because they can't make ALL of their money on businessmen and it is the VERY people who've made the demand for ultra low-cost airfares who are going to suffer the consequences.
Huh? Look at what fuel costs. UA loses money on every discount economy ticket. What money they make is being made from the business traveller that doesn't buy discount fares.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:43 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Terry Trippler thinks it is a done deal, contrary to most of the opinions here that hypothesize on if it will be matched.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&siteid=yhoof

"They are the first, but they certainly won't be the last," said airline consultant Terry Trippler of Trippler Associates. For the airlines, each bag is additional weight and thus represents fuel expense.
"The airlines are looking for every possible revenue source they can find and still cut fares without cutting wages, because right now they can't go any lower," Trippler said.

This is like where people come on the board and say "Oil will hit $200/bbl next year" If so, then just go on the futures market where it is at $90 for all delivery dates.

We all have opinions. Some are professional, some are amatuers who do research, other just speak what they think. In the end, my money is on Terry Trippler
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I don't think it's that cut and dried.
I apologize if I gave you the impression that I thought it WAS cut and dried. Surely there is more ink to be printed before we'll know. I was just giving you my opinion.
One can argue that it's worth nailing all the ORD/DEN/SFO fliers and risking a share of the other fliers... I don't think any of us know enough about their demand choice models to accurate assess which side of the coin will land face up.
You make a good point w/r/t hub vs. non-hub fliers, and I agree that we don't have sufficient information to KNOW.
The new fare class (let's call it R for Ryanair) is at the current L price, but with a one-bag allowance for ALL fliers and no seat assignment until OLCI, regardless of status.
I don't dispute that at all. I just can't understand why there are so many HERE upset by the same notion.
I believe that long run revenue will be HIGHER in this situation and many others disagree. So be it.
Why? You're in F anyway!
I meant for the times I'm not! :

I do think your idea is good one w/r/t the buy-up.

Best, Dave

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Looks like they also jacked up the excessive bag charge - now $100 per piece for up to 4 pieces, and $200 per bag in excess beyond the 4 pieces.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765
Huh? Look at what fuel costs. UA loses money on every discount economy ticket.
Fares are an ecological system.

If UA were 'losing money' on every discount ticket, they just wouldn't sell discount tickets. The fact is, they make money on discount economy tickets that they otherwise would not collect.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Extra legroom + extra bag ONLY $25. Extra bag/no extra legroom: $25.
It's entirely possible this is part of the master plan (assuming you feel that United actually has a plan). Last year, Tilton talked about a potential "elite for a day" program. With this additional charge, maybe they could offer EFAD for $50 (or whatever), which would include the extra bag.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Fares are an ecological system.
I really don't understand this statement at all.
Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster
Ecology : a branch of science concerned with the interrelationship of organisms and their environments.
Now, how can fares be considered an ecological system?
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
In addition to the unintended consequence of more people carrying more bags on board, the other thing that will happen is that the one carry one + one personal item rule will change. Those of us with back packs and brief cases that fit under the seat will nonetheless be told that they are no longer personal items, forcing us to gate check our roller boards.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:56 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I'm very disapointed with this rule. It will impact all of us for reasons outlined previously -- from more bags on board to longer check-in lines.

As the number one carrier at DEN and therefore carrying lots of skis, this is going to be especially tough on that market.

And we're supposed to think of United as a business airline? Right. The delta between UA and WN -- who allow me to check 3 bags for free -- becomes smaller every day.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by noah
As the number one carrier at DEN and therefore carrying lots of skis, this is going to be especially tough on that market.
That's actually the silver lining. I nearly missed a connection (DEN-BOS-FRA) because DEN-BOS left late due to loading skis. That's over thankfully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.