Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2008, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by SF1K
So I just took my in-laws to SFO, we used the easy check-in and I was suprised that it let both of them check two bags for no charge. Only one has 3P status, the other no status. They were on the same PNR, is this normal or a glitch?
when did they buy the ticket? If it was pre-announcement, they are grandfathered in.
Old May 20, 2008, 1:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by GoingAway
when did they buy the ticket? If it was pre-announcement, they are grandfathered in.
This I can't really remember. I think it was after. I'll have to double-check with them.
Old May 20, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by SF1K
They were on the same PNR, is this normal or a glitch?
It's normal. All passengers on the same PNR as an elite member are exempt from the second bag fee. See united.com.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Wait until they start charging for the first bag too. AA announced today that they'd be charging $15.00 for the first bag checked....if that sticks, gotta think that UA will be jumping on that bandwagon.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Wait until they start charging for the first bag too. AA announced today that they'd be charging $15.00 for the first bag checked....if that sticks, gotta think that UA will be jumping on that bandwagon.
It will only stick IF other carriers match. UA and AA match each other all the time. I say it will be 7 days max before UA matches this decision.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I hope UA does NOT follow. On AA, it's $15 each way for the first bag, $25 each way for the second. That's EIGHTY DOLLARS for a round-trip with two bags (if you are non-elite, or not upgraded prior to check-in, or a whole host of [confusing] other reasons).
Old May 21, 2008, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
airlines need the reduction cause...

NO ONE CAN AFFORD IT NOW!

wow, 320 additional for a family of 4 for vacation with 2 bags....yup, people stop flying and start driving.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:45 am

yes! I was in shock and awe when I heard this announcement. I can't imagine what will happen to the overhead compartments, especially with the summer travel season starting up!
Old May 21, 2008, 9:48 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Ok, as long as elites are exempt then I may actually start checking my bag now! The overhead bins will be a nightmare now and the boarding process will take even longer than it is now as people try to carry on as opposed to checking the bag. Should be less bags checked so I may actually get it within a decent amount of time upon landing now.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:52 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Ok, as long as elites are exempt then I may actually start checking my bag now! The overhead bins will be a nightmare now and the boarding process will take even longer than it is now as people try to carry on as opposed to checking the bag. Should be less bags checked so I may actually get it within a decent amount of time upon landing now.
Your reverse logic makes sense!

I wonder which genius airline will figure out that carry-on bags should impose a fee as well....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.