Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2008, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Hey! You were quoted in a Rueters story ^

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0080205?rpc=44
Hi, Kyle Peterson, and welcome to FT--want to say hello to us?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 2:11 pm

Is anyone having trouble accessing the UAL website? Is it bogged down with inquires related to this issue?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 2:19 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
We're famous... again.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssI...16668420080205

"Imagine the surprise when John and Jane Doe plus two kids show up for the trip to Disney with two bags each. One hundred dollars of souvenir money spent at the United counter," read one posting on flyertalk.com.

"I totally agree this is going to hurt the people that can least afford it and who don't know how to play the system. Kind of like the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer," read another flyertalk posting.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 2:29 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Love Terry Tripppler's Reuters " About Pax Who Wil Try To Avoid Fee For Thrill Of It

"What people will do to save $25 is pretty amazing," said Terry Trippler, travel expert at TripplerTravel.com.

For some travelers, dodging the bag-check fee will be a matter of pride, Trippler said.

"It's not so much as saving the $25. For them it will be the thrill of it," he said."
Old Feb 5, 2008, 2:38 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by EndlosLuft
If you are happy with Southwest -- more power to you.

But I think most of United's current Frequent Flyers would agree:

1. That comparing Southwest to United is like comparing Apples to Oranges
2. For example Southwest = No Star Alliance / No alliance of any kind
3. No real Status levels or perks on Southwest of any kind for those that travel a lot
4. This is not really a debate worth having -- as it makes no sense.
1. More like Apples to Onions. Southwest is sweet, United makes you cry. The more you peel the layers, the worse it gets (now this $25 2nd bag fee, for example).

2. No Star Alliance. You are free to fly on anyone when you fly transatlantic or transpacific. Find the best deal, best price, best service on any carrier you choose. I've found American/Cathay to be a great combo and with the PLAT challenge, I got way more benefits than if I had gone United (and, in that year, I was already PREMIER on United). I earned a free upgrade on American that I could actually use (as opposed to United, who flies TED on my routes and therefore offers no place to use the free upgrades I was earning on United)

3. Southwest A-list is great! United PREMIER's don't really get any perks either. If you are flying enough transatlantic or transpacific, you are going to have status with United anyway. Enjoy Southwest's perks (no change fees, for example) when you fly short-hop domestic. Southwest -- home of the "no questions asked" full can of soda.

Only the guy who frequently flies the trans-con gets the real perks from United, and even there its hard to get frequent upgrades. I'd think that Northwest/Continental, with unlimited free upgrades has United beat in that department.

4. Agreed. That is why I quit flying United about 2 years ago. I would agree, however, that depending on your situation, there may be times when United/American/Northwest/Continential have some advantages over Southwest. For a mostly "short-hopper" like me, the edge goes to Southwest. YMMV.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
If you read United's Powerpoint presentation to Investors (http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...ystMeeting.pdf), they note the new luggage policy with the following statement,

If adopted by the industry, our bag initiative is worth more than $100 million to United
Nothing new, but this program is just a trial and is doomed to fail if the rest of the industry doesn't adopt a similar program.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by FCfree
Southwest is sweet, United makes you cry.
Your experience is vastly different from mine. Southwest makes me run away screaming.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 3:02 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Your experience is vastly different from mine. Southwest makes me run away screaming.
I guess we do have two different experiences then. As a 1K, I'm sure you do have a different experience at United than I ever had as a 2P.

But, if you compare short-hop domestic flights, I really don't see the difference between Southwest and United.

On United, you might be flying TED. Then, the only difference is E+. But, on Southwest, I'd say you have a better chance of open middle if you are high on the A-list. Seat 11E on Southwest is guaranteed not to have anyone in 11F (since there is no 11F). If the flight is very light on pax, then 12F or 8F can yield true open middle seat.

But then, you might be on a *REAL* United flight with E-, E+ and F. As a 1K, you've probably got a lot of upgrade coupons in your account. As a 2P, I'd burn them as fast as I'd get them. I'd feel burned as well, because I'd spend two 500-mile coupons to upgrade 600 or 800 miles, thus losing 400 or 200 miles of "comfort."

As a 1K, you probably frequently get open middle seats. As a 2P, it seemed I never would. Yet, over on Southwest, I get open middles and/or 11E all the time.

When you do get the first class upgrade, either by an op-up (I only had that once on UA as a 2P), using certs, using miles or paying for it, you do get nice service. But, whether in E+ or E-, asking for a full can of soda on UA is certain to get a dirty look from the FA's. Southwest's FA's never give me a hard time about a full can of soda. And, Southwest has sent me more free drink coupons than I will ever use.

But, it is the "before the flight" service where Southwest really appeals to me. That no-stress "no change fee" policy. But, I do believe that is waived for the 1K's? But, not for the 2P's over at United. Again, another reason why a 1K's experience differs from the 2P's experience at United. But, at one time, you must have been a 2P, at least for a month or two, working your way up to 1K?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
But, if you compare short-hop domestic flights, I really don't see the difference between Southwest and United.
I'm sorry, but you must have blinders on. The difference is night and day.

the only difference is E+. But, on Southwest, I'd say you have a better chance of open middle if you are high on the A-list.
Legroom is far more important than width to me. I only need one seat, so a person in the seat next to me isn't a problem.

As a 1K, you probably frequently get open middle seats.
Actually, I don't think I ever have. And I've never complained about it either.

asking for a full can of soda on UA is certain to get a dirty look from the FA's.
I always get a full can, even on TED. If you have an attitude, so will the FA.

That no-stress "no change fee" policy.
I plan ahead, so that has never been an issue for me. Not needing a change is even more stress-free.

at one time, you must have been a 2P, at least for a month or two, working your way up to 1K?
And that was when I ran away from Southwest screaming.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by jetsetter
But if other airlines don't follow suit, United could start to lose business among price-sensitive, nonelite frequent fliers...
I would think that the price-sensitive, non-elite frequent fliers that UA cares about do not check in more than 1 bag (if bags are checked at all).

Originally Posted by achevres
The fairest way would be to make a weight limit a combined weight limit of passenger and luggage (whatever number of pieces) and charge extra for the pounds over the limit.
The difference the you are self-loading cargo and do not have to be handled by bag handlers.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 3:23 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
FcFree,
I'm curious about your experiences with no change fees on WN. How much have you typically found you had to pay extra if you wanted to change your flight time the same day? What people officially say is that WN will make you upgrade to a full fare in order to take either an earlier or later same day flight, where as UA will allow you to standby for free (or confirm free if 1K). I guess the big question is do you typically pay more or less than $100 for these changes, or do WN gate agents routinely enough waive additional fare collection for pax making same day changes especially for WN's most frequent flyers?

The other concerns I would have about WN, coming from the perspective of a UA 1K, is that apparently? it is difficult to get them to accommodate you on another airline under rule 120.20? I have the sense WN doesn't have the breath of interline agreements that the legacy carriers have. Also, if you fly them frequently, how are they in regards to paying for hotels or ground transportation in irregular operations? That is one area at least for 1K's where UA is good, but probably you have to be a 1K to realize those perks on UA.

I do very much like though
http://blogsouthwest.com
and my one flight from IAD to MCO with them was pleasant and only cost me about $50 with tax. I was going to fly Ted but he wanted about 3X or more the cost so I went with WN. But it was the simplest trip I didn't make any changes, there were no irregular operations, and I didn't have any unusual requests for the airline. But the booking process, agents, and flight crew were nice. And I liked the flexibility if I had to totally cancel I could even use the $50 for someone else to travel with no change fee. Even if you don't cancel your WN reservation, you retain the value of the ticket with no change fees. None of this "use it or lose it," legacy nonsense which US introduced and which carriers like UA gladly embraced.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I always get a full can, even on TED. If you have an attitude, so will the FA.
The complaining about no full can on Ted is no stranger to this forum. If you have a secret maybe you should share. As has been often relayed here a smile and polite question still = sans full can.

I plan ahead, so that has never been an issue for me. Not needing a change is even more stress-free.
Sometimes with all the planning in the world, business travel requires last minute changes. Consider yourself lucky, not perfect.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
If you have a secret maybe you should share. As has been often relayed here a smile and polite question still = sans full can.
As has also been often relayed here, asking for two or three cups will result in getting a full can or full can equivalent.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by alliance
As has also been often relayed here, asking for two or three cups will result in getting a full can or full can equivalent.
On my LAS-LAX flights I am lucky if they come through twice. YMMV
Old Feb 5, 2008, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
On my LAS-LAX flights I am lucky if they come through twice. YMMV
No, you ask for two or three cups during the first service and will either end up with a full can or the equivalent (in multiple cups).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.