Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by snic
From http://www.united.com/page/article/0...52519,00.html:

"When traveling with a child, checking car seats and strollers will continue to be free."

No mention of gate checking, so presumably car seats and strollers are free even if checked in at the counter.
One can buy a car seat cover that actually stores quite a bit of stuff, so that is a nice workaround for families with car seats in tow...

Really, a 1P family of 4 can travel with 6 free bags under the new policy, but some that are <1p means are some are going to get slapped in the face at the check-in, and eventually some (certainly not all) are going to chose another airline next time. If the others follow however, we'll just have a restting of the perceptions of US airlines from <choose your expletive> very <choose your expletive> .
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Write to UA about this. Maybe they will reconsider?

To contact the sender, write to:
United Airlines Operations Center - WHQPW,
1200 E. Algonquin Rd.,
Elk Grove Township,
Illinois 60007 USA
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I sent a complaint through United.com.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Their hold music is spewing out the old policy
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
This just seems to be inviting more trouble, as the airlines follow each other quite closely (as per fare changes), and I am afraid that this will not stop with UA, but ripple throughout the industry...

I am currently not affected, as I fly ANC-SEA-Eastern Washington primarily on AS/QX... but as a college student would not enjoy seeing such additional fees on other carriers such as NW and AS, even if elites are exempt.

It seems like the whole loss of "free food" on flights... right about when I started to do some serious travel...now its almost all BOB - unless UG'd.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:40 pm

Programs: SPG: Platinum
I Will Fly But My Family Won't

I will continue to fly, but I will put my family on another airline when they are not traveling with me.
No one in my family will have status anytime soon.
Just on principle, I will not support UA by giving them my money for this totally stupid decision.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:05 pm

Location: Chicago, IL USA AA Platinum, UA, Hilton Blue, Starwood Platinum, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by TonySCV
Is anyone else greatly amused by some of the responses in this thread?

No one, save for a insignificant handful of people, are going to stop flying UA over this. I'm sure UA has done plenty of research to know that already.

People that would be up in arms about this have no loyalty to UA - they are going to fly whatever airline has the cheapest fare - end of story. If UA has the cheapest fare even with the fee, they will pay it.

1 50lb. checked bag + one carry on + one personal item (per person) has been more than enough for me for 23 years of flying over 400,000 miles, and I only check a bag if I can't fit everything into a carry-on.

I don't think charging non-status customers more for lugging extra crap with them is unreasonable at all. Maybe people will actually try to pack lighter.

There's lots of upside and little downside to the airline. Less bags = less weight = faster turns = less fuel needed = more room for cargo. WN and B6 are probably asking themselves why they haven't done this sooner. At the very least they will implement it as soon as they can ascertain the effects of it. Their investors will demand it.

- T
United is headed to h$## in a handbasket. If they don't merge, they'll be back in BK court again and this time for liquidation. I can afford these fees, but don't appreciate the horrible customer service, constantly late (AND CANCELLED) flights out of O'Hare, etc. Customers do have choices, and I chose to spend my travel dollars with another airline, and not just because of this ridiculous fee.

I've run a business long enough to know a poor business decision when I see one. Wait until this summer when their numbers are horrid. They'll come up with a fee for padded seats vs. stadium seats.

Oh, by the way, I worked in finance at UA, and know first hand they are a horribly run company, both financially and operationally. But then again, we all know it, although some chose not to admit it.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:08 pm

Location: Chicago, IL USA AA Platinum, UA, Hilton Blue, Starwood Platinum, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I can hear it now:

"In case of a loss in cabin pressure, for those who paid $25, a mask will drop down. Take care to help out others who paid the fee. For those who didn't pay, the exit rows are clearly indicated and illuminated for you. Kiss your $## good bye"
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by WindyCityBrother
United is headed to h$## in a handbasket.
By adding $100 million in revenue? I guess anyone interested in making money is heading straight to the hubs of hell then.

WN forces fat people to buy two seats on full planes. UA doesn't. UA is deciding to charge people that bring a boatload of luggage with them for the space, time and fuel that extra luggage costs. WN doesn't. UA allows free standby, WN requires buy-up to unrestricted fares to standby. Different strokes for different folks.

UA is not a well-run company. Almost anyone around here will tell you they've **** the bed repeatedly with poor business decisions. This isn't a poor business decision. I'd be willing to make sizable wagers that other airlines will be following suit within the year.

I may stand at the curb and offer to check a bag or two for someone using my status and charge $15 - a $10 savings would be hard for someone to pass up.

- T

Last edited by TonySCV; Feb 4, 2008 at 10:28 pm
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:25 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Unless other carriers join United on this...

...this is likely to end my status w/ United. I fly around a dozen times each year, and I generally bring 5-15 others with me (which I assume United likes). I am a high school debate coach, and when we travel, my policy debate teams must bring their evidence with them. Each team of two kids carries 4 of the 14 gallon Rubbermaid file tubs. We ALWAYS use our entire bag allowance, and we've usually got to carry on a few 22" bags as well.

I like having status on United, and I try to stick with them unless their prices are crazy compared to others. Now they'll have to be $50 cheaper per ticket in order to be competitive. I expect that this is going to put us on other airlines frequently. While I might be able to pay $50 more for my own ticket, I just can't do that when I'm buying 10 or more.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:30 pm

Avoiding a rant about how appalling flying UAL is these days and how chapter 11 has prohibited the necessary death of at least one US major, I would like to see the discussion at the checkin counter in the following scenario:

1. European family of 4 travelling on summer vacation with 2 bags each, book flight from AMS to LAX via IAD. Baggage checked in at AMS through to LAX.

2. Family flies from LAX to IAD, where said family has a weekend before continuing home to AMS (therefore only flying a domestic sector). Checkin agent requests $100 for additional baggage. Passengers quite perplexed as they didn't have to pony up cash for the outbound flight, and accuse agent of pulling a fast one ("yu a crayshee man, nex tyme vee flye de KLM").

3. Final flight from IAD-AMS family finds that baggage is free again.....miracle!

This isn't going to function particularly well given all the IF/ELSE clauses and many other valid reasons already stated in this thread. Haven't companies/departments realised yet that if you make procedures too complicated and litter them with exceptions they don't work?

Next they'll be asking passengers to fork out $40 each so the plane can make it the final 200 miles, "or else we'll divert".

Good luck UAL, my last flight with you can't come soon enough....
AF
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:31 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by cldflyer
Just on principle, I will not support UA by giving them my money for this totally stupid decision.
How about other airlines that make policy decisions you aren't fond of?
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by TonySCV
By adding $100 million in revenue? I guess anyone interested in making money is heading straight to the hubs of hell then.

WN forces fat people to buy two seats on full planes. UA doesn't. UA is deciding to charge people that bring a boatload of luggage with them for the space, time and fuel that extra luggage costs. WN doesn't. UA allows free standby, WN requires buy-up to unrestricted fares to standby. Different strokes for different folks.

UA is not a well-run company. Almost anyone around here will tell you they've **** the bed repeatedly with poor business decisions. This isn't a poor business decision. I'd be willing to make sizable wagers that other airlines will be following suit within the year.

I may stand at the curb and offer to check a bag or two for someone using my status and charge $15 - a $10 savings would be hard for someone to pass up.

- T
No, headed to h$## in a handbasket with these incessant fees and horrible service. People don't mind paying extra if they get value for their money. Heck, for what these clowns charge now, its easier, more convenient and enjoyable to drive. These airlines got off the value train years ago, which is why they all are broke.

Oh, SW at least has CUSTOMER SERVICE. I'd pay extra for that, and I am quite sure others would too.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by AtlanticFlyer
Avoiding a rant about how appalling flying UAL is these days and how chapter 11 has prohibited the necessary death of at least one US major, I would like to see the discussion at the checkin counter in the following scenario:

1. European family of 4 travelling on summer vacation with 2 bags each, book flight from AMS to LAX via IAD. Baggage checked in at AMS through to LAX.

2. Family flies from LAX to IAD, where said family has a weekend before continuing home to AMS (therefore only flying a domestic sector). Checkin agent requests $100 for additional baggage. Passengers quite perplexed as they didn't have to pony up cash for the outbound flight, and accuse agent of pulling a fast one ("yu a crayshee man, nex tyme vee flye de KLM").

3. Final flight from IAD-AMS family finds that baggage is free again.....miracle!

This isn't going to function particularly well given all the IF/ELSE clauses and many other valid reasons already stated in this thread. Haven't companies/departments realised yet that if you make procedures too complicated and litter them with exceptions they don't work?

Next they'll be asking passengers to fork out $40 each so the plane can make it the final 200 miles, "or else we'll divert".

Good luck UAL, my last flight with you can't come soon enough....
AF
Excellent post.

Buddy, I'm racing you to take my last UA flight as well. Winner gets to keep the bag of peanuts!
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:36 pm

Well, we at least know where the bonuses, I mean extra fees go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Tilton

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.