Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
How do you define basic service? I would argue that the basic service should have been just to transport you from A to B safely, and everything else should be additional. The airline industry got itself into a mess early on because it was an all-inclusive industry. Faced with sky-rocketing costs, reasonable and responsible companies look at all avenues to reduce costs and to increase revenues. Customers can vote with their dollars, but if the industry matches, the only revenue loss is of those who choose not to fly at all. And I'd argue those are customers that airlines won't bat an eye over losing.
The problem with that scenario is that you don't want to lose the casual non-elite flyer. They help fill the airplane. Clearly, airlines make more money on premium business and first customers, but they can't fill the entire plane with them. So do you just fly with 2/3 of the plane empty or do you fill it with people that can bring in as much revenue as you can? You're certainly not going to be able to fill entire planes day in and day out with high-fare paying customers. These "cheap" customers do bring in revenue and if you end up making more than you would than without them--then bring them along. If not, leave them by the baggage claim.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:21 pm

Programs: HH/CX Diamond, VA/IC/A-Club Plat, UA/SPG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mre5765
Australia doesn't have bone chilling code so thinner clothes can be packed, And while Australia has as much land area as lower 48 states as the USA, in reality, are Australians routinely flying coast to coast (SYD to Perth, Adelaide to Darwin, Broome to Hobart)? I'd guess most air travel is among MEL, SYD, and Brisbane.

As for limits on carry ons, the LCCs have it, but I was on a business trip from MEL to SYD on Qantas main line (wide body), and most of my co-workers were hauling big expanded roller boards on board.
Australians flying to Europe, Asia, Middle East etc. are normally subject to a 20kg(44lbs) weight limit. Flying all ailrines. Its only flights to/from USA that have the two piece at 50lbs rule.
Same applies to Europeans flying anywhere except USA. 20kg.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by ChicagoGasMan
This is like when United started offering a new class of service, E+, without calling it a new class of service and having to make all the tariff changes, union contract changes, etc. that would go along with a new class of service. You simply can't rename somehting to avoid a law/regulation/rule becuase it's inconvenient for you to do the right thing.
Welcome to FlyerTalk. While I disagree with most of your post, particularly the part advocating laws against stripping out services and requiring limits on surcharges, it is a thought provoking and interesting first post. I'd rather see less regulation in this industry, not more. And you are certainly allowed to vote with your wallet depending on how a business treats you. But I have to respond particularly to this quoted part because it is factually incorrect. The reality is that E+ is not a new class of service and there is no law preventing them from making it a new class. Governments do not set what classes of service exist on airlines. However most airlines belong to IATA, the industry trade group and agree on general principles for price setting and service so that the industry is slightly less chaotic. IATA rules are that there are 3 classes of service: First, Business, Economy. British Airways, SAS and Air New Zealand (off the top of my head) have had separate premium economy cabins for years. But there are still 3 classes of service. And whether or not making premium economy cabins a separate class of service is the "right thing to do", it is most certainly inconvenient. For the industry to adopt an additional class of service the IT costs for changing all the pricing and back end revenue accounting systems would be enormous. The cost of doing so would undoubtedly outweigh the benefits. Particularly when a handful of carriers worldwide have a premium economy cabin out of 200+ IATA members. It is just not practical to make it a separate class of service.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:32 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
The fact that Southwest is expanding in Denver as fast as it is, and I can attest to the fact that they are flying with mostly full airplanes, is proof that the public is tired of these nickel-and-dime fees. It started with the change fee and now this fee to check a second bag. Yes, Southwest charges to check a THIRD bag, but all airlines have been doing that.

Southwest gives a FULL CAN OF SODA on request and has better snacks for flights over 500 miles. A-list service for preferred customers.

Southwest has it figured out!
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
This $25 charge story just made it on the DC Fox News at 10:00 after a segment on today's "smoke in the cabin" on UA 871 IAD -> SFO. I think they said US (hmm....of course), AA, and DL are watching the market reaction for a decision to follow suit. It's also on msn.com, but I imagine someone else has pointed that out.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:41 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
first post to your forum. believe me your fares will never be a penny cheaper than aa. this is in no way a way to shift costs and lower fares. it is a way to pick up $25 from those who do not know better. does it matter, to me no, it is just another reason aa beats ua and why i don't look back.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:42 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by FCfree
The fact that Southwest is expanding in Denver as fast as it is, and I can attest to the fact that they are flying with mostly full airplanes, is proof that the public is tired of these nickel-and-dime fees. It started with the change fee and now this fee to check a second bag. Yes, Southwest charges to check a THIRD bag, but all airlines have been doing that.

Southwest gives a FULL CAN OF SODA on request and has better snacks for flights over 500 miles. A-list service for preferred customers.

Southwest has it figured out!
So you're saying UA should fly only A320's or 737's with one class and not operate internationally?

WN is a different airline, and while I would imagine it's run better than UA, you have to compare apples to apples if you are going to try to complain about UA.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by whlinder
Totally agree.

Fare increases don't work. Fares in real dollars have been falling (for the most part) since deregulation. Got to try to make money, so unbundling is the best they've got for now.

This also slightly devalues everyone's miles since domestic saver tickets have less utility. (Or maybe it increases the values of miles since the odds of UA staying in business long into the future have increased with this move, IMHO)

I haven't looked at the "rules" for Priceline and Hotwire bookings in a long time; I wonder if they guarantee 2 checked bags? If this move really causes a decrease in low-yield ticket sales UA can just dump inventory to Priceline and Hotwire. And if it causes a decrease in high-yield sales UA will rescind the move.
UA's high-yield ticket sales are mostly for travellers who do not have more than one checked luggage item (if any). But an airline like UA cannot live on high-yield ticket sales alone since frequency of service is a key factor in UA's getting as large a slice of the domestic high-yield market as it gets -- and the ability to provision for that frequency of service is significantly dependent upon the plane filling up with lower yield fare passengers, including those who are more likely to carry a second bag than the average higher yield fare pax.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by FCfree
The fact that Southwest is expanding in Denver as fast as it is, and I can attest to the fact that they are flying with mostly full airplanes, is proof that the public is tired of these nickel-and-dime fees.
Right, no same-day standby or same-day confirmed, Southwest makes you buy up to a full-fare ticket. That change to go home early could cost you a couple hundred bucks, which is part of the reason they have the revenues they have. Talk about being the king of nickel-and-diming.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by UCBeau
So you're saying UA should fly only A320's or 737's with one class and not operate internationally?
That's not what was said. The point still stands that UA is, in some respects, providing less of a service -- a lower class of service for most passengers -- than Southwest in the domestic coach class market.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
UA's high-yield ticket sales are mostly for travellers who do not have more than one checked luggage item (if any). But an airline like UA cannot live on high-yield ticket sales alone since frequency of service is a key factor in UA's getting as large a slice of the domestic high-yield market as it gets -- and the ability to provision for that frequency of service is significantly dependent upon the plane filling up with lower yield fare passengers, including those who are more likely to carry a second bag than the average higher yield fare pax.
Completely agree--alienating a customer that is helping contribute revenue is stupid unless they lose more money than they make from carrying them.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:03 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
That's not what was said. The point still stands that UA is, in some respects, providing less of a service -- a lower class of service for most passengers -- than Southwest in the domestic coach class market.
How so? EVERY UA flight I've had in the Y cabin has included a full can of soda if beverages were served..and as for the snacks, I think one bag of pretzels is as good as another bag for those flights over 500 miles, so that's not really a point of contention.

I only see the baggage issue here, and even that's debatable because with a little planning and foresight, it can become a non-issue.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by UCBeau
How so? EVERY UA flight I've had in the Y cabin has included a full can of soda if beverages were served...
I guess you've never flown on Ted - flights operated by UA.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thumbs down How would this work?

If one were to travel with a bike and one checked bag?

Oversize fee $100.00
2nd bag fee $25.00

So, a bike just went from $85.00 (crazy already) to $125.00??? On a return flight that is $150.00 more than Alaska charges! It's gonna be tough for me to choose UA when flying with a bike and when not it may also make a difference as you never know when you might buy something and then be dinged the extra fee. I hope others do not match and this nonsense stops.

If I already have tickets for July do I get to pay the "cheap" $85 fee with no second bag charge? I have a 3 sector trip and the extra charge was already $255 to bring my bike
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by whlinder
This also slightly devalues everyone's miles since domestic saver tickets have less utility.
Not everyone's. At least I have never bought a domestic saver ticket, and I virtually never check more than one bag. And of course I am an elite traveler and thus am exempt anyway.

Originally Posted by UA_SYD
Australians flying to Europe, Asia, Middle East etc. are normally subject to a 20kg(44lbs) weight limit. Flying all ailrines. Its only flights to/from USA that have the two piece at 50lbs rule.
Same applies to Europeans flying anywhere except USA. 20kg.
Not on Lufthansa.

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...9603&cid=18002

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.