Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 4:41 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by UA_SYD
UA are effectively lowering their economy proposition to compete with LCC.
Like they have not already? For a non-elite economy ticket passenger, UA service went below the LCCs years ago.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Even today's announcement was probably just a reaction to WN's decision to drop the free allowance from 3 -> 2.
Hmmm, would that imply that UA's business model is to try to stay one step below WN in service quality for non-elite economy ticket passengers?

Last edited by tjl; Feb 4, 2008 at 4:47 pm
Old Feb 4, 2008, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is just another example of this airline screwing customers

This airline, IMHO, has always seemed to pride itself in offering a premium experience to passengers willing to pay for it. I've always felt that unless you are a 1K or higher on UA, you're treated like crap. With this policy, they are treating the non-elite, non-regular flyers that probably give a significant revenue stream to the company like crap. Friends & coworkers often come to me for travel advice - I'm going to strongly encourage them to stay away from this airline.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by seanp7
I guess I prefer this method rather than adding $25 across the board to the fare itself - at least then folks have a chance to avoid the fee through loyalty (elite) or preparation (flying with just the essentials).
If only 25% of customers check a 2nd bag, it would have only been a $6.25 per ticket across the board to have the same impact. I would rather have fares go up $6.25 and keep as many people as possible checking bags. My concern is that I expect this will create boarding hell.

The silly war on liquids got more people to check bags and made the boarding experience better. This policy seems to encourage people to carry on what was before their 2nd checked bag. This will crowd the boarding area, slow down boarding, and delay departure because of additional bags that have to be gate checked. If fees have to be collected when gate checking after the bins are full it will be even worse. Not to mention that the rules are complex and will have training and customer service costs and will likely frustrate front line employees.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Streetcar
There goes any family trips in the future. I have 3 kids and a wife (none have status). I went from 11 bags to 7. Don't forget car seats/port-a-cribs/and strollers that aren't checked at the gate count as a bag! My kids are all in car seats so that means that everything I take on vacation for my kids comes on the plane!
Did you ever actually take 11 checked bags with you?!? Usually, when we take a family trip with two kids and one of our parents (total party of five), our ratio of bags to people goes down to under 1 bag per person. To me, this doesn't seem unreasonable. Even if we're talking about a 2-week trip, fifty pounds of gear per person is a lot. I can sort of see the airline's perspective on this one.

People have mentioned golf/ski trips - those are key exceptions. But for those, I look at it this way: United has just raised fares by $50 to their popular ski and golf destinations. Competition will dictate whether or not it sticks. Granted, it's a slimy way to do it, but I look at it as an opportunity for WN or F9 to embark on a "skis/clubs are free" marketing campaign. Or - perhaps not - perhaps those airlines have been waiting for someone else to be the bad guy, and they'll look forward to putting more U.S. Mail onboard where your skis would have been.

I had my hopes for United's future. This is going to bury them.
Actually, it'll be a net positive on the bottom line for them - even though I don't like the move from a passenger loading/unloading perspective. This move won't drive away many pax at all, and it will open up more space/weight for paid cargo.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by camachinist
Next stop, hefting your carry-on onto the scale at the ticket counter

(weight limits on carry-ons)...

That oughta keep the lights on Wacker Drive lit late into the night
Weight limits on carry-ons aren't new in other countries. The safety forum mentions LHR does it sometimes, and flying SYD-MEL last November on Virgin Blue they were using scales.

So yes, in a $100/barrel world, this is the new reality.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 4:53 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
the other thing is, will UA have a note on their purchase screen reminding non-elite (or all) passengers about this? It seems only the right thing to do given the new policy, but I didn't see anything when I tried a dummy booking just now.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pinniped
I don't know... I think most business travelers pick their airline based on the mix of cities the need to visit and the strengths/weaknesses of the route maps of the three major alliances. At least, that's probably what the airlines count on when they tack on these sneaky fees.

Most frequent business travelers don't live in a city where two alliances are so equal that a $25 bag fee would cause you to send a letter to a member of the other alliance asking for a status match and then shift all of your travel over.

I'm with UA not because I love them - it's just that I go west a lot from MCI, and that rules out AA and the Skyteam carriers. I could go non-legacy if I wanted (WN and YX could probably cover all of my western U.S. cities), and when my biz travel drops into the 2P level (which I hope it will!), I will probably consider them.
You seem to know since you are referring to situations not covered by my words:

where all other things are about equal excepting this "enhancement".
It is where all other things are about equal excepting this "enhancement" that business travellers would tend to book away from UA if they treat their employer's money like they would their own.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 4, 2008 at 5:46 pm
Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
This is just another example of this airline screwing customers

This airline, IMHO, has always seemed to pride itself in offering a premium experience to passengers willing to pay for it. I've always felt that unless you are a 1K or higher on UA, you're treated like crap. With this policy, they are treating the non-elite, non-regular flyers that probably give a significant revenue stream to the company like crap. Friends & coworkers often come to me for travel advice - I'm going to strongly encourage them to stay away from this airline.

I will do the same thing that encourage my friends take other airlines.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Not good for skiers who have their own skis. 1 bag for skis, and 1 bag for boots and winter clothing. Just another added expense to an already expensive sport.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mre5765
LHR does it sometimes, and flying SYD-MEL last November on Virgin Blue they were using scales.
I've had IB and LH both weigh carryons.

Of course, IB was truly "intelligent" about it - they weighed my rollaboard, but said I didn't have to weigh my backpack. My rollaboard was overweight, so I moved several large bottles of water into my backpack. The rollaboard was back underweight again, so they cleared me. So I moved 20 feet away from the counter, and put the water back in the rollaboard.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
So statement says "nonrefundable" economy tix. Can some of the walking UA policy books tell us what Y fare classes that would be? I'm guessing S,T,W?
Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST
So statement says "nonrefundable" economy tix. Can some of the walking UA policy books tell us what Y fare classes that would be? I'm guessing S,T,W?
It is not that simple... it is determined not by what fare bucket but by the fare rules of the fare that you buy. Generally speaking, if the fare basis includes an N in it (ie. E7NX vs. E0X) then it is non-refundable. There are W and other low fare classes that sometimes on some routes are fully refundable.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mre5765
Weight limits on carry-ons aren't new in other countries. The safety forum mentions LHR does it sometimes, and flying SYD-MEL last November on Virgin Blue they were using scales.

So yes, in a $100/barrel world, this is the new reality.
Yes, I had my carry-on weighed by NZ at WLG and AKL and have had it weighed by DJ in SYD, MEL and ADL. I think it is the obvious, though perhaps ill-timed, next step. At SYD, flying DJ, I ended putting some overage into my checked bag, making it overweight, so they just put a "heavy" tag on it and I signed a waiver absolving them of liability for "handle breakage". No charge.

Pat
Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It is where all other things are not about equal -- even excepting this "enhancement" -- that business travellers would tend to book away from UA if they treat their employer's money like they would their own.
So since no other airline offers E+, this "all other things being equal" won't apply in many (most) cases, right?

In other words,

- if you don't have status with UA and
- you don't fly first/business/refundable economy and
- you can get an equally convenient flight schedule on some other airline and
- your company has no preference for UA and
- the other carrier isn't more expensive to begin with (by at least $25/each way)

you will now choose the other carrier?
Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by TA
the other thing is, will UA have a note on their purchase screen reminding non-elite (or all) passengers about this? It seems only the right thing to do given the new policy, but I didn't see anything when I tried a dummy booking just now.
Given that there are many other channels to buy tickets, that would only be covering a portion of the target audience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.