Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why Do I Have Half (.5) an EQS Credit for my Flight(s)" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Why Do I Have Half (.5) an EQS Credit for my Flight(s)" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2004, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Exclamation Consolidated "Why Do I Have Half (.5) an EQS Credit for my Flight(s)" Thread [Merged]

I noticed today that my EQS on Milege Plus is showing 72.5 segments. How did I get .5 segment or is this just a blip on the web site?
Old Nov 3, 2004, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Did you fly on a P, F, A, C, D, Z, Y, or B fare basis for one flight?

Those fares earn 150% EQMs and 150% EQS'.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

B fares and above earn a 50% EQM/EQS bonus.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
Did you fly on a P, F, A, C, D, Z, Y, or B fare basis for one flight?

Those fares earn 150% EQMs and 150% EQS'.
I haven't but I received 0.5 EQM
Old Nov 3, 2004, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by deejboram
I haven't (flown on a B+ fare basis) but I received 0.5 EQM
Might be some MP promotion you forgot about, then, or perhaps during an irregular op the agent just booked you in a B+ fare.

Some folks have reported that when op-upgraded to First, the Gate Agent re-booked them in an F fare basis and they earned the bonus EQMs and EQS'.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
I did fly on a "B" class fare SFO-SYD and then back HKG-SFO both in "B" fares (upgraded to business of course) but it was a paper ticket and I thought they only calculated those bonuses on e-tickets. Since I had two segments in B class I'm not sure how I ended up with a .5

The HKG-SFO upgrade cleared only seconds before they closed the door so who knows what the gate agent did. That might explain it.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 9:44 am
glg

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
Some folks have reported that when op-upgraded to First, the Gate Agent re-booked them in an F fare basis and they earned the bonus EQMs and EQS'.
To add another data point to this scenario, I've gotten 4 op-ups this year. 3 were done "correctly" in that the booking class showed NF on the boarding pass and did not credit the extra .5. One time, booking class showed F and did credit the extra .5.
Old May 2, 2005, 10:10 am

Q fare mystery 50% bonus

I took a UA flight from ORD -> LGA and US Air from LGA -> BOS, returning BOS -> ORD on UA.

I was given 2.5 EQS. Why the .5?
Old May 2, 2005, 10:27 am

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs
I took a UA flight from ORD -> LGA and US Air from LGA -> BOS, returning BOS -> ORD on UA.

I was given 2.5 EQS. Why the .5?
Either
a) one of the legs was in F/C/Z/Y/B class and therefore qualified for 150% EQM/EQS
b) both legs were in one of these fare classes and only one of the bonus EQS has posted so far (the bonus 50% often takes a couple of extra days to post).
Old May 2, 2005, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Were you operationally bumped to F?

Sometimes I've noticed when I get my upgraded seat in a rush, my guess is that the agent just throws it in the computer as paid C or F which usually results in the additional EQM/Ss.

For instance, when I flew IAD-ORD on a 3-class...and *somehow* I was placed in 2A on a W-fare ticket...
Old Jun 14, 2005, 8:53 am

Programs: UA/*A nobody, Bonvoy Plat, SW A-list, Hertz 5* (but who isn't???)
'Fractional' EQS?

Checking my online MP Mileage summary detail, I have a 'fractional' EQS credited:

Year to date Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS) 6.50

I have exactly 6 BIS segments year to date (with enough booked later in year for 2P). Where's the fractional segment from? Certainly not a big deal in the larger scheme of things, just curious really.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 8:56 am

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Full fare and premium cabin fares earn 1.5 segments per actual flight segment.

Either you bought a full or premium fare, or one of your segments was "incorrectly" classed as such.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Dromomaniac
Either you bought a full or premium fare, or one of your segments was "incorrectly" classed as such.
Ahh, I see now. Thanks for the clarification.

I took the +$65 online offer (at the time of booking on united.com) to upgrade to F on DEN-OMA going home last week. I knew it was going to be a long week and was worth it to not get stuck in E-.

Although it seems to me that such an offer would be considered an 'upgrade' and not technically 'paid F', and I thought you didn't get credit for an 'upgraded' class, just the originally purchased.

The original itin (before adding the 'F' offer) was definitely not full Y or otherwise premium.

Last edited by omahajim; Jun 14, 2005 at 9:27 am Reason: minor correction
Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:37 am

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Interesting. It does seem like an oversight. Either way it's a good deal! Did you get 50% bonus miles as well?
Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Dromomaniac
Did you get 50% bonus miles as well?
No I didn't. That 250 miles woulda come in handy!!

Thanks and Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.