Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Quick United international check-in question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick United international check-in question

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2011, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Sorry for bumping an ancient thread, and I think it answers my questions, but just want to make sure...

I have an oh-dark-hundred early departure out of SEA (I am taking one that puts me in SFO for 3 hours because SEA-SFO flights have lousy on time rates in the morning after the first departure, since the East Coast banks that start arriving + clouds that force IFR instead of VFR and shut down optimum runway usage at SFO = ATC ground holds on shorthaul flights like SEA-SFO way too often).

I simply don't want to show up at SEA before 5 am if I can avoid it. It has never taken me more than 20 minutes or so to clear TSA at SEA. A town car from my home to SEA is going to be 30 minutes, tops (plus I avoid the fee on a pickup before 4:30 am).

The UA portion of my itinerary is SEA-SFO-NRT in F, connecting to NH NRT-HKG in C. Carryon luggage only.

So, my questions are:

- I'll be able to OLCI and print a boarding pass to get me past TSA at SEA, yes? I have passport details entered online.
- At some point, I'll need to show a passport, right? (I have on my previous international flights). I hope to delay that until the IFL at SFO (I've done this flying DL, shown it at the SkyClub). Is that the case now, too? Or do I need to stand in line at SEA pre-TSA (grrr)?
- If I am going to have to go to the counter, can I show up at the airport the night before and get this nonsense over with then? (Yes, I'd rather do that than leave my warm bed an hour early).

Thanks...
Old May 15, 2011, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The UA portion of my itinerary is SEA-SFO-NRT in F, connecting to NH NRT-HKG in C. Carryon luggage only.

So, my questions are:

- I'll be able to OLCI and print a boarding pass to get me past TSA at SEA, yes? I have passport details entered online.
- At some point, I'll need to show a passport, right? (I have on my previous international flights). I hope to delay that until the IFL at SFO (I've done this flying DL, shown it at the SkyClub). Is that the case now, too? Or do I need to stand in line at SEA pre-TSA (grrr)?
- If I am going to have to go to the counter, can I show up at the airport the night before and get this nonsense over with then? (Yes, I'd rather do that than leave my warm bed an hour early).

Thanks...
If you've done OLCI, your printed BP & ID is all you need for TSA @ SEA. Up to you on whether to use your DL or passport. I usually use my passport when traveling int'ly vs my DL, but that's just a personal choice. When you board for your int'l flight, you will need the passport. BTW - you don't mention whether you're checking luggage, but they are strict on the 45 minute cut-off for int'l checked bags.

Cheers.
Old May 15, 2011, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If you've done OLCI, your printed BP & ID is all you need for TSA @ SEA. Up to you on whether to use your DL or passport. I usually use my passport when traveling int'ly vs my DL, but that's just a personal choice. When you board for your int'l flight, you will need the passport. BTW - you don't mention whether you're checking luggage, but they are strict on the 45 minute cut-off for int'l checked bags.

Cheers.
Thanks, that's what I need- if UA issues me something to get past TSA in the morning I am good to go. As I said, carryon luggage only (I would rather do laundry than wait at carousels or risk filling out lost luggage forms).

I often show my passport while traveling domestically (since I keep it in a bag I often travel with, and I've lost my DL on planes before when separating it from my wallet), so showing it to TSA is not a problem. My experience is that at some point, the airline wants to see it too, but I like doing that AFTER I get past TSA, either in the lounge or at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.