Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LX-to-UA transfer in Zurich questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2007, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
LX-to-UA transfer in Zurich questions

I'm going to fly BOM-ZRH-IAD in 24 hours, and it dawned on me that I don't have any knowledge of ZRH, having had all my previous European connections through FRA or LHR.
I'm arriving on LX around 0630, and departing on UA at 1155, giving me around 5 hours.
1. Is that adequate time to leave the airport by train to walk around downtown Zurich for a bit? Best location to walk around-Hautbanhof?
2. What's available for lounge access? A search of previous threads (last year) indicate there's an LX and an LH lounge, the LX one with the long bar. Any update to that? I want to try and visit both.
3. Since I understand that USA departures go out of a separate terminal with a second security screening, how long do I need to allow to get to the gate from the lounges?
4. Any good airplane-viewing areas at ZRH, or any other "shouldn't-miss" spots? Any other pointers about transiting through ZRH?
Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2007, 3:10 pm

Programs: A3 Gold,
You'd probably have enough time to pop into town but I'm not sure wandering around Zurich on a cold wet winter morning is something I'd relish between intercontinental flights. I'd just relax at the airport. The Swiss lounge is OK. Crackers and soup and drinks. It can get pretty crowded. I don't think I've ever been in the LH lounge.

Allow about a half hour between leaving the lounge and arriving at the gate for your UA flight. It's a quick train ride to the intercontinental terminal but there is a painfully slow security line for US flights which can take 20 minutes to get through. It's remarkably un-Swiss. There is fast track line if you're in C which helps considerably.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 6:46 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
I just did this last week, with the same schedule you had although I was arriving from NBO. In my case, I showered in the LX Arrivals Lounge after that overnight flight, then went out through customs and re-checked my bags on UA (I didn't check them through since I was on separate tickets and wanted to shower).

You'd have some time to run into town, and the train is right there in the airport, but you wouldn't have a ton of time. Note that UA check-in doesn't open until 8:30am (far left of Check-In 1 next to Swiss).

If you're coming from Check-In/A gate areas, you don't have to pass through two security areas, just the one to long-haul international destinations (UA is at the end of the concourse). There is wireless pretty much throughout the airport for a fee. The lounges are OK, with the arrivals lounge much less crowded than the *G lounge in A. Arrivals lounge has a fee if you don't have LX status unless you're traveling on LX C or F.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
I have the reverse transfer, going IAD-ZRH-BOM. I only have a 1:45 stopover. Do I even have time to freshen up and grab a bite in the lounge? Which would be the lounge for me? I am *G as a 1P on UA.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
I have the reverse transfer, going IAD-ZRH-BOM. I only have a 1:45 stopover. Do I even have time to freshen up and grab a bite in the lounge? Which would be the lounge for me? I am *G as a 1P on UA.
I'll post a follow-up in a few days with my experience, hopefully it'll help.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't considered the weather much, but between long intercontinental flights in Y, a train ride and even a short stroll on a cold, wet winter morning for some fresh air is a nice experience! I'll probably just pop out for a short time, if nothing else than for the chance to learn the overall logistics of moving around to/from ZRH for future reference, then later spend the remaining time perusing the airport and lounges.
I'm on a single ticket, so no baggage re-check, etc. needed, except maybe a stop at the UA desk to get UA-issued BP's for the UA flights to replace the ones LX will give me at BOM.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
I'm on a single ticket, so no baggage re-check, etc. needed, except maybe a stop at the UA desk to get UA-issued BP's for the UA flights to replace the ones LX will give me at BOM.
I have not been successful at getting LX to issue BP's for UA flights. Weird, but it has happened a couple of times.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:21 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ssh
The lounges are OK, with the arrivals lounge much less crowded than the *G lounge in A. Arrivals lounge has a fee if you don't have LX status unless you're traveling on LX C or F.
Are the food options any good in the Zurich LX lounges ?
Old Jul 17, 2008, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Are the food options any good in the Zurich LX lounges ?
C lounge, no, although they do have free alcoholic beverages. Don't know about F, but assume it's much better.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
LX lounge is nice, good food, internet cnxn etc. Nice comfy chairs. Issues with ZRH: the lounge is way far away from intercontinental arrivals and UA departures. Also when I was there showers in LX lounge only for First passengers. I was able to visit the LH lounge instead where they will give you a key to shower. recommend it!
Old Aug 10, 2008, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA-1P SPG-G PC-PLT
Any suggestions for quick ZRH-to-city excursion?

Thanks for these replies. Any suggestions for a brief leg-stretching excursion to central Zurich? Any must-sees or tips about a quick run into the city center? How long is the train ride in from ZRH, anyway?
Old Aug 10, 2008, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold, 1MM, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Cap'n Adventure
Thanks for these replies. Any suggestions for a brief leg-stretching excursion to central Zurich? Any must-sees or tips about a quick run into the city center? How long is the train ride in from ZRH, anyway?
Trains run almost every ten minutes into downtown. The ride take about 15 minutes. You can walk along Bahnhofstasse for some great window-shopping.
You can also walk along the riverfront toward the lake.
Actually a lot to see in one hour since the main train station (Zürich HB) in the heart of the city.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
As indicated by prior posts, v easy to get into town. Even during winter, I found riding the tram system around town to be interesting and good viewing. Summer should be nice for walk or ride once in city center. Great lakeside scenery. Enjoy.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.