Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Ever ask purser to turn down the heat in intl F cabin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever ask purser to turn down the heat in intl F cabin?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:07 am

The only thing I dislike about the upper C cabin the the 747 is the fact that heat rises & more often than not it is too warm.

After a 10-14 hour flight one already feels like they haven't showered in a week. No need to make it worse by shvitsing.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Yes -- on and international F from SFO to LHR.

But I don't think they did anything - it was **way** too hot.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
I didn't ask but did notice some changes in Temp throughout the flight.

I was in 22H FRA-SFO, the purser starts out by setting the Temp to 74F for all the zones. At the gate in FRA it was set to 68F.

A little bit later an FA(from economy?) changes one of the zones to 75. Next and FA from the upper deck changes that zone to something else.

This went on for about two hours into the flight and then it seems like they stopped messing with it.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: HH Silver, Eurostar CarteBlanche
It is not a bother when passengers ask us to warm/cool the cabin. Temperature controls are in the cockpit on all aircraft except the 777 and 747. Flystoomuch, on the 747 even is the whole plane is set at the same temp it will feel incredibly different when walking forward, back or upstairs. that is why you will see monkeying around with the temp controls for the beginning of the flight.

If you are consistently hot on the aircraft, sitting near the windows is generally a colder experience than the inner section of the plane.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 2:19 pm

Location: ORD based - All opinions expressed on this forum are my own and in no way represent the views of United Airlines or its affiliates.
Programs: Hilton Gold
If you are too hot, you should definitely ALWAYS say something! Nine times out of ten, the f/a's are roasting, too. We do not keep it hot on purpose, believe me. Most of us would much rather keep it cooler as it helps us to stay awake.

Generally it is the passengers who complain that it is too cold. Especially the Europeans, so I am not surprised to hear that LH and AF keep it like an oven. I don't know what it is, but the Europeans are ALWAYS cold. They will actually remove the pillow cases and put them on their heads, it is hilarious.

If you are not comfortable, speak up! Personally I welcome any excuse to turn down the temps.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by iflyua2
Generally it is the passengers who complain that it is too cold. Especially the Europeans, so I am not surprised to hear that LH and AF keep it like an oven. I don't know what it is, but the Europeans are ALWAYS cold.
I agree. Being to hot is one of the most annoying factors that can destroy an otherwise great flight experience.
However I know a really not-to-small amount of friends who swear they will never set foot on an american carrier again because be it sommer or winter the temps are below 19C/67F which they hardly call comfy.

F.R.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
the upper deck on the 744 is always hot on a long flight!
Old Nov 24, 2007, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Great Topic!!

Yes, on several flights between SFO and FRA in F, the cabin has been too hot. Once it was unbearable, the other times just uncomfortable. However, every time I have asked (3 different flights that I can recall), the FAs have said the temperature control is broken.

Any FAs out there, is that very common? Do the temp controls regularly break, or are they trying to avoid messing with the controls too much?
Old Nov 24, 2007, 5:42 pm

Programs: HH Silver, Eurostar CarteBlanche
Blueman, If your flights are on the 747, the temperature controls are notoriously unreliable. We can really adjust the temp by 2 degree increments at a time or the system resets itself (think 'bake' in an oven). The sensors will often show a temp of 77 degrees F when passengers are shivering.

There is also no 'ploy' to keep passengers asleep by keeping the cabin warm, the other poster was correct when they stated that European passengers are always saying they are cold and wanting it warmed up!
Old Nov 24, 2007, 5:57 pm

Remember please that in Europe, we use a/c far less than in America, so body temperature adjusts differently. There have been many threads on this on the LH and other forums; I believe that we determined that the ambient temperature in German offices vs American offices is about 3 degrees warmer (in Celsius measurement). So when Europeans say that they are cold, they are used to a warmer temperature (and fewer drafts - Germans at least seem to have a fear of drafts) than their American counterparts. Neither is right or wrong, just different.

Now, having said that, I have been hot my entire life and generally roast on LH longhaul in C. I was horrified to board an 11 hour flight the other day and see new THERMAL blankets in LH C, as opposed to the already warm enough ones they provide.

(And I am a frequent user of the LH showers in FRA and MUC, even before or after my short haul flights, so I can definitely empathize with those of you who are too warm!)
Old Nov 24, 2007, 6:15 pm

I remember the last time I flew SQ F, I thought I was going to die from heatstroke. I asked the FA to turn down the temperature, and she seemed shocked I was hot. She offered to bring me some ice water to cool me down. She did not seem to want to adjust the temperature.

Has anyone else noticed that the E170 tends to be nice and cold?
Old Nov 24, 2007, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it really bothers me, I ask them to turn down the temperature whether I'm in F, C or Y. I recently flew SFO-MUC on LH in F (346) and I couldn't believe how warm they kept the little F cabin. Fortunately, LH had enough Blue Label to keep it from really bothering me.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by exbayern
Remember please that in Europe, we use a/c far less than in America, so body temperature adjusts differently. There have been many threads on this on the LH and other forums; I believe that we determined that the ambient temperature in German offices vs American offices is about 3 degrees warmer (in Celsius measurement). So when Europeans say that they are cold, they are used to a warmer temperature (and fewer drafts - Germans at least seem to have a fear of drafts) than their American counterparts. Neither is right or wrong, just different.

Now, having said that, I have been hot my entire life and generally roast on LH longhaul in C. I was horrified to board an 11 hour flight the other day and see new THERMAL blankets in LH C, as opposed to the already warm enough ones they provide.

(And I am a frequent user of the LH showers in FRA and MUC, even before or after my short haul flights, so I can definitely empathize with those of you who are too warm!)
This is all correct. Europeans use less air-conditioning, but they also use too much heat! It's not a conservation thing, they just like it warmer. I'd say 3c is about the right differential between Germany and American offices. I keep my office in the USA at 20c (68f), which is on the cold side. I'd say most Americans keep their offices at 21c-22c (70f-72f) and Germans keep their offices at 24c (76c). This is in summer AND winter. It's HORRIBLE.

On a plane, anything more than 22c is intolerable.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 7:51 pm

Neither is right or wrong, just different.
Sounds like a perfect argument for ordering planes with personal air vents.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat
see new THERMAL blankets in LH C
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Sounds like a perfect argument for ordering planes with personal air vents.
i personally like the idea of warm thermal blankets. i like breathing cool air, and hate cold air blowing on me.

like everyone has said, it easy to stay warm with blankets and impossible to cool off if you roasting because the ambient temp is so high.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.