Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Jackets Allowed in the Exit Row??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2007, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Not to defend dumb and/or made-up rules, but one thing occurs to me: Some people might have heavy objects in the pockets of their otherwise "lightweight" jackets. In such a case, stowing the jacket could be a reasonable safety measure. Or would you rather the FA ask every jacket-holder, "Do you have any heavy or dangerous objects in the pockets of that jacket?" before then requesting that they stow it properly.

Pure speculation on my part, of course. Not trying to start any urban legends.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 1:20 am

I'm not really sure why the FA told you to remove the jacket from your lap. However, in her defense... It is an FAR that all exit rows must be clear of ANYTHING. Perhaps in their training, they are told not to allow items on the lap. I remember being told not to allow purses on the lap.

On another note, it's not just the exit row. ALL passengers are not supposed to have items on their lap during taxi/takeoff/landing. All items must be stowed so that they will not slide in any direction. If an aborted takeoff would occur, these items would indeed go flying. Some FA's are more lenient. I personally think to myself, "Would this put the safety of others in danger?", when I walk through the cabin.

The exit rows are always going to be a concern for FA's because you want to make sure that egress is possible at all times. Perhaps, this is why the FA the OP was talking about insisted he place his jacket in the overhead.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 1:45 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
FAs don't actually have any leeway here for interpretation as much as we'd like for them to. A carry-on item is a carry-on item and can't be in your lap. While most FAs probably would have said nothing, it's technically a violation and they aren't free to make exceptions.

Your subject line makes it sound like you couldn't WEAR a jacket in the exit row, which I cannot imagine. You just can't hold carry-on items in your lap in the exit row is all that happened here.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 2:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Do what the FA Ask's, if you get away with it, good, if you are asked, follow their requests, do so.

Shez, we need a thread about a jacket not being stowed on Flyertalk?

Some FA's ask I store my 12" laptop in the bin, I do so, most of the time they don't, if asked I do so.

Last edited by Asuka; Oct 20, 2007 at 2:58 am
Old Oct 20, 2007, 7:59 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I'd rather they err on the side of strictness.

On a recent flight back, about an hour before landing, a fellow in the exit row asked the purser to call ahead for a wheelchair, explaining that if he requested it before they took off, he wouldn't be allowed to sit in the exit row.
That's a good one! I wonder if the FA ever requested one for him/her.

LAX
Old Oct 20, 2007, 10:27 am

Programs: UA1P
My laptop bag usually goes under the seat in front of me during t/o and landing. During cruise, I'll put it under my legs so I can stretch out. The FA told me items aren't allowed in the emergency exit row. I replied that I'll put it away before the approach. She said the row has to be clear at all times. I shook my head as I imagined passengers jumping out of the emergency exit at 36,000 feet.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Asuka

Shez, we need a thread about a jacket not being stowed on Flyertalk?
Yes, we do. If you haven't noticed yet, FT is about discussing and analyzing everything travel related down to the 100th degree, and we enjoy it!
Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:45 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I have had this happen on US before with jackets, pillows (even when the pillow is in use between you and the seatback), etc. Not on UA, fortunately, though the UX FAs do seem to be on the whole more anal about anything having to do with exit rows than UA mainline.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
As a defense to the FA's, the FAA can hold them PERSONALLY liable (for fines) if safety rules are not followed.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 12:40 pm

Programs: mileage plus, skymiles, marriot silver, starwood plat, priorty club, hilton honors
The window shade down is a UAX requirement and it's every window, not only the exit window.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:01 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by Jet Set
The window shade down is a UAX requirement and it's every window, not only the exit window.
I was on Air New Zealand in the front row of Biz (whatever they call it) and I had to have all my shades open. Annoying, but that's their rule. Express carriers have their individual Op Specs, and we have ours. I just do what is asked.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:45 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by Liz
I was on Air New Zealand in the front row of Biz (whatever they call it) and I had to have all my shades open. Annoying, but that's their rule. Express carriers have their individual Op Specs, and we have ours. I just do what is asked.
Same thing on SQ. In fact, SQ even asks that all pax keep their shoes on during takeoff and landing.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL GM; SPG- Gold; HH-Diamond; IHG-Gold
Originally Posted by 12172003
My laptop bag usually goes under the seat in front of me during t/o and landing. During cruise, I'll put it under my legs so I can stretch out. The FA told me items aren't allowed in the emergency exit row. I replied that I'll put it away before the approach. She said the row has to be clear at all times. I shook my head as I imagined passengers jumping out of the emergency exit at 36,000 feet.
by that logic I suppose you wouldn't be allowed to use the tray table at all during flight either
Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, Mariott Platinum
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
On a recent flight back, about an hour before landing, a fellow in the exit row asked the purser to call ahead for a wheelchair, explaining that if he requested it before they took off, he wouldn't be allowed to sit in the exit row.
You have got to be kidding!?!?

Were you also sitting in the exit row? Did you say anything to this passenger? I think I would have had a few choice words for him. This is a safety issue...not just another "nuisance" rule. Was he in a window seat?

I am certain I would NOT want someone that required a wheelchair responsible for my safety if there were an emergency.

YIKES!
Old Oct 22, 2007, 4:10 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HDflyer
You have got to be kidding!?!?

Were you also sitting in the exit row? Did you say anything to this passenger? I think I would have had a few choice words for him. This is a safety issue...not just another "nuisance" rule. Was he in a window seat?

I am certain I would NOT want someone that required a wheelchair responsible for my safety if there were an emergency.

YIKES!
I can think of reasons why someone might want (probably not need) a wheelchair but would still be completely physically able to meet the exit row requirements, etc., which wouldn't be so frightful. (I once, for example, had tweaked one of my hamstrings during a trip and had considered perhaps requesting a wheelchair for the long trek from gate 88-ish to gate 77-ish at LAX--I didn't and toughed it out--but would have had no problems at all doing everything required for the exit row tasks.)

Note, though, that I suspect that would be the exception...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.