Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum lounge access now includes AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum lounge access now includes AA

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2008, 11:39 am

Programs: UA-LifetimePremierGold, PLT: Bonvoy, IHG, GLD: Enterprise, Budget
Originally Posted by Howard
Amex Platinum cardmembers can now use AA lounges in addition to CO/DL/NW (see announcement). At $450/year for access to the lounges of four airlines, that's not a bad deal. I wonder if UA will ever be part of this program.
There are OTHER benefits besides the lounges, but the AA/DL adds were interesting... I fly mostly UA and AA - and YES membership now has its (expanded) privileges...

WHEN does this extend to UA ?? Is there anything WE (FT user group) xando to

After bugging me for the past 10 years, I recently caved into AXP
- lounge access (value depends on how often you use)
- 4 free domestic companion airfares / year
- $200 rebate on first purchase (one-time signing bonus)
- usual AXP services - concierge, travel assistance, etc

The above list is IMO enough to justify the incremental $$ to go from AX Gold to AXP. JMHO - your value factors/decision guides would work for you.
Old May 19, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by nsx1164
There are OTHER benefits besides the lounges, but the AA/DL adds were interesting... I fly mostly UA and AA - and YES membership now has its (expanded) privileges...

WHEN does this extend to UA ?? Is there anything WE (FT user group) xando to

After bugging me for the past 10 years, I recently caved into AXP
- lounge access (value depends on how often you use)
- 4 free domestic companion airfares / year
- $200 rebate on first purchase (one-time signing bonus)
- usual AXP services - concierge, travel assistance, etc

The above list is IMO enough to justify the incremental $$ to go from AX Gold to AXP. JMHO - your value factors/decision guides would work for you.
Just wait until you run across an occasion to use the Amex Plat Fine Hotels and Resorts program. That alone is worth the fee. Often times the room rates are better than what can be found online and then the extra amenities (4PM check-out, $100 spa credit, complimentary room upgrade, etc.) can more than pay for the card fee alone.

I agree though that UA doesn't have the capacity in most of its current RCC's to handle the extra influx of AMEX platinum members, although AA doesn't seem to have a problem with it.The main reason why is that AA's lounges at their hub airports are much larger, particularly the newer lounges - they seem to have been built with extra capacity from programslike these in mind. Just look at DFW - AA has 4 AC's at that airport alone. LAX's AC is twice the size of UA's RCC (and much nicer from a newness, view and comfort perspective).

- T
Old May 19, 2008, 12:39 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by ryan182
Wow, So I'm in the AA AC in SNA now, and if I had more time I'd walk around the pillar to the RCC

The AC has made me long for a RCC!
To each his own. For me the biggest AC benefit, bar none - is departure lounge showers. All of the major AC's have them, and they require no special access (unlike the UA arrivals lounges) to use them. Amex Plat will give you access.

Showers after along flight when you have a connection are a god-send.

Even the lone Arrivals lounge that AA has (at LHR) allows all C passengers to use it (paid or upgrade) - economy passengers can pay $50.

- T
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA-LifetimePremierGold, PLT: Bonvoy, IHG, GLD: Enterprise, Budget
Originally Posted by TonySCV
I agree though that UA doesn't have the capacity in most of its current RCC's to handle the extra influx of AMEX platinum members, although AA doesn't seem to have a problem with it.The main reason why is that AA's lounges at their hub airports are much larger, particularly the newer lounges - they seem to have been built with extra capacity from programslike these in mind. Just look at DFW - AA has 4 AC's at that airport alone. LAX's AC is twice the size of UA's RCC (and much nicer from a newness, view and comfort perspective).

- T
Unfortunately AXP has announced that it has discontinued its "free domestic companion airfare" program

Is there anything we can do to lobby/request UA RCC to offer club access as part of the AXP benefit ? IMO this would be a GREAT advantage, even considering the potential overload of the RCCs.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nsx1164
Unfortunately AXP has announced that it has discontinued its "free domestic companion airfare" program

Is there anything we can do to lobby/request UA RCC to offer club access as part of the AXP benefit ? IMO this would be a GREAT advantage, even considering the potential overload of the RCCs.
Great for whom? given the present level of crowds at domestic RCCs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.