Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

New In-Flight Crewmember - Onboard Supervisor [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

I was on 869 7/18 upperdeck. A UA employee dressed like a concierge came around with surveys for everyone to fill out. If there was enough positive feedback UA would have one of these individuals on all int'l flights.
I believe he used the term inflight supervisor, but I could be wrong.
He said he was onboard to provide information and assistance to F and C passengers as well as GS in Y. He didn't appear to assist the crew in any other way.
Prior to landing he thanked us again for our business and provided connecting information.
Couldn't a flight attendant have done what he did? The whole thing seemed kind of redundant to me.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe this is something UA really needs, and it's great to hear! Most great international airlines have ISM's (inflight service managers), and I think it's the right step for UA. Hopefully this crewmember will actually make sure all the FA's are doing their job, and would definitely keep the "matrons" more on their toes.

I just hope the position wont be abused. Anyone know who the people are that are picked for ISM?
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:16 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Not a new thing, just a rare thing. Richard S, the "Onboard Supervisor" (which is the correct title, by the way) for LHR, can sometimes be seen on the LHR routes. Nice guy, knows all the FAs, and really a good person to direct comments to. Any issues I have with LHR staff are always directed to him, and he's excellent.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I know this was reported on FT a few weeks ago, but I can't find the thread...
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA
Hm the only thing similar I've heard is for the NGO flights (however more a language assistant in that case). Not a bad step I guess...
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I know this was reported on FT a few weeks ago, but I can't find the thread...
This thread, maybe?
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:23 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tracon
Couldn't a flight attendant have done what he did?
But FAs are only there for our safety, right?
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
This thread, maybe?
Maybe, but I still think there was a thread that specifically addressed this one feature.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Not a new thing, just a rare thing. Richard S, the "Onboard Supervisor" (which is the correct title, by the way) for LHR, can sometimes be seen on the LHR routes. Nice guy, knows all the FAs, and really a good person to direct comments to. Any issues I have with LHR staff are always directed to him, and he's excellent.
I've had some interactions with him (although not as many as his predecessor) - he's the person I send comments to about any of the LHR staff and I know he does appreciate receiving the feedback.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Nope. I used to think so, but on a flight last week, the purser deviated from the usual script, along the lines of ".....while we are here primarily for your safety, we are also here to take care of you during the flight. So, if there is anything we can do ...... "

^ and a :-: to her!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:42 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Maybe, but I still think there was a thread that specifically addressed this one feature.
There was. I saw it too. Too bad FT search is so limited. I believe that this is a new test program, and it's only on flights out of LAX, or SFO, or IAD (one of the three, and only 2 test flights total). Too bad FT search is so weak now: no 3-letter words? So much for searching for an airport code!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Perhaps the second part of the OP in this thread?
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by cepheid
Perhaps the second part of the OP in this thread?
Bingo! (Not to mention Bango, Bongo, and Irving.)
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevinsac
Nope. I used to think so, but on a flight last week, the purser deviated from the usual script, along the lines of ".....while we are here primarily for your safety, we are also here to take care of you during the flight. So, if there is anything we can do ...... "

^ and a :-: to her!
Whose flight?? If UA, I'll be shocked!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:44 pm

This saying bugs the [expletive deleted] out of me. The announcement should say "Ladies and gentle men your F/As are __________________ were here for your comfort and safety so if there is anything we can do to make your flight better let us know. I think the safety spiel is put into most announcements so the F/As can have that period where they dissapear. (I do value F/As for their safety aspect)

I think the ISM is an F/A with lots of experience who has worked there way up, I may be wrong.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 7, 2007 at 7:42 am Reason: Cleaning up profanity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.