Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fares on Virgin America

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2007, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by cepheid
Looking at united.com, I was able to find SFO-IAD nonstops for $149.80 round-trip all-in through at least mid-November. YIKES!
Gack, checked back this morning and all those fares are now gone... the lowest fares I can find are now in the ~$220 range, up to ~$280 or so. Those are much more "reasonable" rates, about what I would have expected... I guess either the $149.80 fares were mistakes or they got bought up right quick. Thankfully, a friend of mine (who lives in Berkeley but whose wife lives in MD) was able to get in on two of the el-cheapos, so he's super-happy.

Unfortunately, my parents were busy sleeping at the time so looks like they'll have to pay regular fares... shucks. Here's hoping the fares reappear... not that I'm holding my breath.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 2p
Won't selling non-refundable tickets help reduce oversold situations? My logic being that there is less temptation to not show up for the flight, and therefore less IDB's and upset pax who don't grasp the concept of overbooking/selling.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 2:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by stevenshev
They're okay with your buying non-refundable premium cabin fares and just having the money sit with the carrier after cancellation until you're ready to use it? And my resume's on its way.
If the fare difference is significant (say, greater than the change fee), our policy allows non-refundable fares to be purchased, even for premium cabin fares. The expectation is that you will somehow use the credit before its expiration.

In the case of p.s. C versus VX F, I think there's a strong case here.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Who said either I or BJ was talking about big corporate travel departments? There are business travelers who travel for reasonable companies or even for their own companies, too.
I'm in the reasonable category and have no problem with non-refundable, change without penalty fares.

-Cyborg
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Originally Posted by stevenshev
I still doubt many of those would be too happy to give VX free money, even if it's only for 12 months.
I have no problem with this. At least I'm supporting a company that supports Scaled Composites

Also, it beats the heck out of the book early and reprice on UA with a voucher that ends up going useless for a myriad of reasons...

...do Z fares on UA allow for refunds or no fee changes?

-Cyborg
Old Jul 20, 2007, 5:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
This won't fly (no pun intended) for the business traveller, especially those that pay F.
It's holding me back from making several bookings (in F).
Old Jul 20, 2007, 5:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I also doubt most heavy business travelers would go anywhere near that long before being able to use up the credit.

I could see VX offering refundable fares in the future, but for now they're banking on the cheap fares attracting customers instead.
You're assuming that the traveller has a reasonable shot at using on a later date. Not unreasonable for someone based in one of the areas served by VX and travelling regularly between VX destinations.

However, for those who travel heavily elsewhere and just occassionally on VX routes it may be more of a problem. Also, what if VX withdraws from a route/destination? Eg pax had to cancel, for whatever reason, their LAS-SFO(-xxx) VX flight, and then subsequently VX leaves the LAS market.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:00 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Why doesn't everyone have a little patience with the refundable fare thing? It's only been 2 days.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by TonySCV
Why doesn't everyone have a little patience with the refundable fare thing? It's only been 2 days.
It does look like a conscious decision to not have any refundable fares. Hopefully VX will change it's mind (with the help of feedback).
Old Jul 21, 2007, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
It does look like a conscious decision to not have any refundable fares. Hopefully VX will change it's mind (with the help of feedback).
Maybe this will happen when they actually get the final approval from the DOT to fly. At the moment they are taking the cash, and no-one can take it back off them.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 9:18 am

Programs: UA2mm,HGPdiamond, AAExPlat, MarriottGold
$299 Ai Psp/sfo/jfk/lax/psp

Just booked RT PSP/JFK for mid Sept weekend for $299 all in on United.com! (Base is $120 each way plus taxes and fees). Not great for a MR but still not bad for a transcon! I suspect we may see alot of these in the next few weeks. NOTE: LAX/JFK was about $450 AI for the same transcon flights!
Old Jul 21, 2007, 10:27 am

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
Maybe I'm dense?

Originally Posted by anthro
SFYMTWTU may be the answer to the cost service problem!
But ... is a SFYMTWTU ?!?!?
Old Jul 21, 2007, 10:47 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
San Francisco you mean the world to us....

There was a previous promo in Denver, IIRC, when WN showed up there. FT feeding frenzy

Pat
Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by WoodyWindy
But ... is a SFYMTWTU ?!?!?
Previous promotions:

Washington You Mean the World To Us -- contributed to the demise of Independence Air

Denver You Mean the World To Us - softened the Southwest Effect in Denver.

Has been long believed that we would see something on the West Coast with the addition of JetBlue, Southwest and now Virgin America. But perhaps the costs of the program in rewards was too great ????
Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:13 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AdamUK
Maybe this will happen when they actually get the final approval from the DOT to fly. At the moment they are taking the cash, and no-one can take it back off them.
I purchased a ticket and read the fine print - if they don't get final approval, VA (VX is a stupid code) will refund 200% of the purchase price or attempt to re-book you on another carrier, again at up to 200% of the purchase price.

Virgin America does not currently have authority from the Department of Transportation to operate the services for which your ticket is being issued. You may, upon request, cancel your ticket and obtain a full refund at any time before we start operations. If we have not started operations by the date of your ticketed travel, we will make reasonable efforts to arrange substitute air transportation for you, at a cost of up to 200% of your Virgin America ticket. If we cannot arrange substitute transportation for you, we will refund to you 200% of the price paid for your Virgin America ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.