Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA defend its SFO-LAX route?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:13 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Are you talking about ARTCC? If so, then yes...Oakland Center controls the largest geographic space, but the busiest centers are Chicago and Cleveland, I believe.
That's only because ZOA covers so much of the Pacific. Large and sparsely populated, like Alaska.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ummm. . . what's "O&D"?
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:30 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by UNITED959
This is such a hard thing to judge. I've seen data where NYC-FLL route has the most traffic of any domestic market (closely followed by NYC-LAX). Then there are the gillion flights that both UA and AA have ORD-LGA/EWR. And HNL-OGG has a ton of flights as well!
Remember that Northern California-Southern California is far, far more than SFO-LAX.

OAK-LAX: 22x WN 737, 5x UA CRJ, 4x DL ERJ
OAK-SNA: 9x WN 737, 5x AS 737
OAK-LGB: 5x B6 320
OAK-ONT: 12x WN 737
OAK-BUR: 16x WN 737
OAK-SAN: 20x WN 737

That's 98 daily flights between Oakland and the Southland, 89 of them on 130+-seat jets, and I haven't even touched SFO, SJC or SMF.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:54 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by PTravel
Ummm. . . what's "O&D"?
Origin & Destination.

Meaning, not connecting.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by g_leyser
Origin & Destination.

Meaning, not connecting.
Ah, thanks!

I'll be (and have been) commuting between LAX and SFO quite a bit through early next year. I'd love to see UA drop fares to match Virgin, whose F fares are about what I've been paying for restricted coach on UA. In fact, if they don't, I just might fly Virgin anyway -- those 500 mile hops don't contribute that much to my EQM bottom line.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FCYTravis
Remember that Northern California-Southern California is far, far more than SFO-LAX.
Remembered.

But the population and amount of airports covering a similar geographic region on the East Coast is much, much larger than that of Calif. I found this map quite interesting: http://www.smartskies.org/ATA/images/highaltitude.pdf.

Again, as I originally said...this is a difficult thing to judge with all the variables. One really has to be sure that it's apples to apples when making the comparison.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.