Wiki Posts
Search

Do reservation agents get commission?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2007, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Do reservation agents get commission?

Hi,

Had to deal with an agent on a partner airline today, was very pushy about buying through her and not on line.

Just wondering if in general agents are on commission, get bonuses for what they sell, etc.

Mike
Old Jul 16, 2007, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
I doubt they get commissions but I'd be surprised if there isn't some performance requirement. Also, they might just be trying to justify their jobs, since an increase in online booking might spur cut-backs on the phone lines. Just speculation, of course.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 3:22 pm

If it was an international itinerary it's possible. Some foreign carriers (though few) still pay commissions to travel agents so they may offer a similar incentive to their phone agents.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 3:28 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Paubri is correct. I don't know of any major domestic airline (let alone internal reservations) that pay comissions, but many charter/intl do (to outside agents, not internal res.)

There may be some niche carrier that is an exception, but none of the majors do, I believe.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:14 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
I wish they would (US based only, no ICCs) - guaranteed a huge increase in better service.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
I wish they would (US based only, no ICCs) - guaranteed a huge increase in better service.
Not so sure about that... better service when trying to book a ticket, but worse service when dealing with other inquiries since they don't want you on the line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.