Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

I battle the Dulles RCC matron- you know who won! [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I battle the Dulles RCC matron- you know who won! [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2007, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Five Star
UA_Flyer has hit the nail on the head--it is a consistent problem, and it is irritating. I have had the same problem. I have written the EMAILs to Liz too, but it does not change. Those of you who say it is not worth the money are right--but the inability or lack of desire of UA to fix the problem is telling.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Is this much ado about nothing?

If you use the example of the drink chits, perhaps. But if the quality of service at the IAD RCC as it applies to certain individuals (as it seems by the posts in this thread), then a concerted effort to "out" these individuals seems warranted.

After all, it's drink chits today, access tomorrow, and helping with a canceled flight the day after tomorrow. People who are bad in customer service generally are bad across the spectrum of services the job requires.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why after repeated (it sounds like dozens of complaints), that UA is unable to simply tell the RCC staff that certain passengers are entitled to drink chits.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by indiahoosier
UA_Flyer has hit the nail on the head--it is a consistent problem, and it is irritating. I have had the same problem. I have written the EMAILs to Liz too, but it does not change. Those of you who say it is not worth the money are right--but the inability or lack of desire of UA to fix the problem is telling.
It is telling. If you would buy elsewhere, it is the loudest most effective voice you have.
Face it....The way United is operating, not what they say, is the reality. If you object? Stop being a martyr and fly another carrier.

I always wondered why free Drink chits were such a problem.....if you have the money to fly International, buy the drinks and leave the women alone. For me it is a poor risky choice to confront for $ 6.50. It seems many posters are saying they have difficulty in the RCC.... O.K. many posts have informed you....so why do you keep going there?

One last thought.....Just why does anyone in a USA federal airport area think they have any right to be abusive to an airline employee? Are you looking to get on the no fly list?
Old Jul 8, 2007, 11:13 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
It's not just about $10

Many people have argued that this is a waste of time for Lucky to make a scene about because the value of the chits being disputed is only $10. The thing is, it's not just about $10. As others such as UA_Flyer have pointed out, the IAD RCC staff makes this mistake consistently. How many hundreds or thousands of travelers have been incorrectly denied $10 each? And if the RCC staff ignores clear UA policy on this matter, and is so deliberate about it as to threaten to call security when people argue for what they're plainly entitled to, it's easier to believe they're also cheating the customers somewhere else, too -- perhaps charging change fees or standby fees where not warranted. A few rotten apples could be cheating UA customers out of tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.

And to those who say this shouldn't be a firing offense.... Many years ago a family member of mine was fired as a UA TA for misquoting a fare to a frequent traveler. The size of the mistake? Not thousands. Not hundreds. Not even tens. Just 8 freakin' dollars. (Granted, with inflation, it'd be about $20 today.) The reasoning was that if a TA was be caught making even a small mistake once, there might be a lot of other times where she's making much bigger mistakes.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kb1992
Well, if lucky ended up in the DC jail, this story would show up in USA Today.
He cannot be thrown in the DC jail. IAD is located in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 11:43 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by DCBob
He cannot be thrown in the DC jail. IAD is located in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
See post #63
Old Jul 8, 2007, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
Originally Posted by fastair
...If it means by "drawing them out" like this, that everyone who flies on NH out of IAD must lose their RCC benefit, then that is what will happen. I doubt anything like that will happen, but "forcing an issue" for a victory with little actual value can often lead to a "clarification" of policies that hurt many.
Fastair:

FWIW, this argument (which you've repeated a couple of times), actually makes no sense.

There are no exceptions to the Star Gold admittance policy on a per-airline basis. The way it works is very simple: if a lounge is designated as a Star Gold Lounge, then the star-wide admit rules apply - drink chits and all. The ANA lounge is not a Star Gold lounge because it's operated by AF - and it's common practice throughout the alliance that where multiple lounges exist in an airport, the contract/third party ones are generally not Star Gold (this is not a universal policy, but a common one).

So, the Supervisor was either ill-informed, trying to cover for UA/the agent (because the threat of force against a customer is very serious), or both. Either way, there is 0% risk that all NH customers at IAD will be denied access to all RCCs (or drink chits for that matter).

And, FWIW, your argument feels like a bit of a straw man.

<G>
Old Jul 8, 2007, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
Maybe for the next few weeks any FT visiting the IAD club flying domestic or international should leave a copy of the rules at the registration desk. Not mention anything just leave the rules behind. They will get the message if this happens several hundred times in a day. I can’t understand why UA just cant get this problem resolved at IAD.

BTW some of the earlier post had me ROFL. We have some comics in the group.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
He said that ANA didn’t have a lounge agreement here in IAD with UA, and therefore there was an issue with it. He nonetheless said that this issue is their fault, and not our fault, and therefore he would authorize the drink chits for us. He said he would call the RCC and let them know.
Seems like there was a basis for the agent's declining your entrance therefore.

Much to my surprise this lady said that the other agent was having a meeting with the Sup! BIG ^ to the Sup!^ ^ ^
No doubt:

Sup: Look agent, we know there are a-holes out there, it's how you deal with them that matters *chuckling*
Agent: *Nervous giggle* I guess so - he just slapped this paper and acted like he owned the place
Sup: Yep I know the type - you see that just feel free to call for secondary support to deal with it - no need to call security and reward the piece of work with free publicity.
Agent: Okay gotcha - thanks.
Sup: Good - thanks, have a good rest of day. Hope you don't have any more of those pieces of work out there.
Agent: Yeah (shaking hands with Sup)
Sup: (Momentarily thinks to give a playful slap on the bum, then thinks better of it)

Folks, before some of you non-hardcore FT’ers think I’m nuts, this whole thing was fought as a matter of principle, because the matrons at IAD have a reputation for treating passengers like garbage and denying them explicitly stated benefits. The agent was extremely arrogant, rude and stubborn, and even called security on me, so I think I did a good deed.
I flew UA IAD-FRA July 5. Go to RCC by C17 (+/-), duck my head in and ask if there is another club near C1 (my flight) - friendly RCC agent says sure, there is one by C7. Thanks! Go to C7 RCC. Lady with child in front of me. I overhear it. "would you like drink coupons for use today" lady: "no thanks" agent: "okay, have a good day"

Me: show boarding card with *UA Prem Executive* on it. Good enough, no gold card needed. Agent: "would you like drink coupons today?" Me "Sure" Her: here you go.

My point? I think this IAD RCC dragon stuff is overhyped. Reading the OP the term dragon is misapplied.

I can't believe she called security. I could understand that if you had no right to access the lounge (non-status flying internationally or something), but you had every right to access the club and she treated you like you were stealing.
Not according to the supervisor. No agreement between NH and UA.

Originally Posted by 1kBill
Good Lord, do these folks have to pay for the drink chits out of their own pockets? Maybe the unused ones go into a bonus pool? I cannot think of any rational reason for these people to be so adamant - no, make that stubborn, even defiant - about not handing them out.
So I must have a lot of natural charm I guess.
Originally Posted by gj83
Maybe it's a ploy by the bartenders b/c people who use drink chits don't tip? still not a logical explanation.
All I had were $20s, honest!

No doubt you are right. What I am happy about is that she had a meeting with the Supervisor, so I wish she were fired, but I am sure something is going in her profile at the very least.
Maybe a commendation.

Wowzers, what an eventful morning!
You chose to make it be. *shrugs*
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:13 am

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Good thread, I enjoyed reading it after a long day at work.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK, just landed in NRT and am in the lounge, and a ll I can say is wow! Did not expect it to be this big this fast. Let me add ress a few of the issues I see here.
Originally Posted by LGA_UAL
Carrying a printed copy of the rules often won't get you very far. United can change its internal policies whenever it sees fit (assuming they are still in line with Star requirements). While I think an agent should consult a relevant profile, I can see how slamming a printed copy of an internal United document wouldn't get you very far in many instances.
Fine with me, then I would love if the agent would  show me the relavant rules or cite them, instead of just saying she knows them.
Originally Posted by Pat89339
For those of you asking for the S*RCC/ADMIT rules, this is the one on the Sticky thread from 8/10/05. Lucky is that the one you carry around?
Yep, that is the one.
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Are people under 21 legally entitled to drink certs in the US, regardless of UA's policies? I realize this is not the reason she gave, but I'm just curious if the RCC or any club in the US is legally prevented from giving a drink chit to any minor in the US. While it's probably unlikely there would be a sting at an RCC, I'm wondering if an RCC could temporarily be suspended from serving anyone if an agent had been caught giving a minor a drink chit.
Good question. There is nothing in the RCC admit profile against it, and you are still IDed at the bar, so I do not see an issue there. Would love to hear the relevant law if that is the case. Either way the agent never said that this was the issue, so it is a moot point in my opinion. Also, was flying with my dad, and it was the same issue for him.
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
(Disclaimer. This is not meant in any way as an attack on the OP, who I respect)
Wow. Just wow. I post a thread bemoaning the complete lack of Saver awards in the United inventory and the antibodies come out in masses to attack the virus (me).
Someone else posts about not getting their free drink chits and the board wants them to run for mayor.
Where are all the 'if you want your free drink chits, you must be prepared to pay a much higher fare ... UAL is all about cheap seats and upgrades, not free drink chits ... why did you waste the poor RCC reps time with something as minor as a drink chit ... etc., etc.
Pardon me, but sometimes this board is a parallel universe.
I agree with the (very few) posters who are surprised that anyone would not simply let the free drink chits issue drop well before it got escalated. That said, if he/she did indeed call security, and assuming that the rest of the recollection is true, then that is problemmatic.
Roger Lococco
Sorry Roger, but what are you talking about?!?!?! Pay a higher fare for drink chits?!?! UA is not breaking any rules by not putting out enough saver awards... they are breaking the rules by not giving drink chits.
Originally Posted by Pegasus23
It appears you prepared to ambush the RCC woman, not just get your drink chits. Now you boast of your success and others may do the same. This is intimidation. The reaction you received from the RCC woman to call security is because she felt threatened. The arrogance you received from her you dished out in spades. Paying for RCC access with a F-C ticket or buying a yearly membership just gets you in the door. You are not entitled to anything. If you don't like the women in the RCC or how United operates, why not take your business elsewhere or buy a controlling interest in UAL so you can say who get fired.
Clarification:
I am referring to "entitled" as an attitude, not to the fact that one may have qualified for two or more drink chits to be Given & Received. That one qualifies for them, does not mean they will be given graciously or received graciously. I suspect this is determined by both the giver & receiver.
I think you are overcomplicating this. I was entitled to drink chits and I do not see what taking my business elsewhere has to do with anything. Call it boasting if you want, but the point of this thread, like many others, is to say that the perceived evil at UA is not being accepted. I want the best for United, and this lady is not in UAs best interest.
Originally Posted by entilzhaFT
Lucky,
Wth man? Dropping the paper in front of her and asking her to read it? It's not a videotaped deposition.
Say what?

Sorry folks, but what do you do if she does not know the rules and you have them? The only thing to do is to show her the rules!

Sorry goalie, I have to COMPLETELY disagree with you. This lady works in a CUSTOMER service position. That means she is supposed to treat clients with respect, not call security on them and be arrogant. I do not care what is going on at home with her, but when she comes to work that needs to be behind her and that is no excuse to treat us like garbage. I work in a customer service industry part time and am always polite and smile, regardless of how rude the guest is. Trying to justify the treatment is ridiculous IMO.

Either way, enjoying all the debate here...
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Seems like there was a basis for the agent's declining your entrance therefore.

No doubt:

Sup: Look agent, we know there are a-holes out there, it's how you deal with them that matters *chuckling*
Agent: *Nervous giggle* I guess so - he just slapped this paper and acted like he owned the place
Sup: Yep I know the type - you see that just feel free to call for secondary support to deal with it - no need to call security and reward the piece of work with free publicity.
Agent: Okay gotcha - thanks.
Sup: Good - thanks, have a good rest of day. Hope you don't have any more of those pieces of work out there.
Agent: Yeah (shaking hands with Sup)
Sup: (Momentarily thinks to give a playful slap on the bum, then thinks better of it)
Thanks for the constructive comments, I really appreciate it. Maybe before you say trash like this you should actually be there.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Thanks for the constructive comments, I really appreciate it. Maybe before you say trash like this you should actually be there.
You speculated the agent was being admonished/punished/fired in her meeting with the supervisor. I simply speculated differently.

As far as your "be there" comment I was there on July 5 and got my drink coupons without even asking (as did the customer in front of me). I didn't walk into the RCC spoiling for a fight, maybe that's why my experience was pleasant. @:-)
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:29 am

UA could eliminate a lot of problems, ill-will, and probably cut administrative costs if they simply went to a self-service (free) booze model. Seems to be working for their competitors. Why haven't they simplified and adopted this already?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sorry for the scattered thoughts here, but I am trying to work through as many of the posts as I can and respond.

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
[*]However, I sense that he wanted to pick a fight with the Dragon. You sometimes get what you ask for.[*]This whole thing is a fiasco. Every bit of it. I agree with hammering on principals, but... given everything what did you actually gain from this?[/LIST]
Of course you wont believe me on it, but I truly would have been happiest just having the drink chits and not picking the fight. I do not fly out of IAD internationally often, so to be honest I did not really know what all of the bickering was about to the full extent. I wanted to see if it was true, and it turned out to be true indeed. All I gained was having the rules followed. I guess you could ask the same question about freedom bags or anything else that inconveniences us without pay, but it is a matter of principle for me.
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
IAD is my hometown airport and over 90% of my flights are international. I have experienced the "IAD RCC problems" almost every time I fly:

1. No drink chits when flying Y ( reasons: drink chits only for F and C passengers)
2. One drink chit only ( reasons: 1) you are only entitled to one drink chit; 2) you don't have a companion with you to get the second chit; 3) I am giving you one because you are 1K/MM.... usually we don't provide drink chits.
3. No admittance when flying Y on international itinerary as a 1K/MM/*G ( reason: 1) you are flying Y; 2) you are not a RCC member; 3) you are flying LH not UA.

I am not a confrontational person, and usually argue my case politely and write letters. My experience has been that letters don't work. Now I have to arm myself with "RCC Admittance and drink chit rules" every time I fly. Is it my fault when all my comments went unnoticed or lack of action by the people who read my letters?

Take a recent example on May 6th of this year, I was denied RCC chits again at IAD, I wrote to both the RCC Supervisor at IAD and 1K desk, and here are the responses:

Since the May 6 complaint and the responses from UA, I have flown three additional international flights to Paris, Sao Paolo, and Beijing, and used RCC at C7, C17 and D8. I have again experienced in all three lounges the #1 and #2 problems I described above.

I am a little tired of writing letters, and traveling with RCC rules will be my standard practice from now on.

I think Lucky did the right thing, because of my own experience and frustrations dealing with these same issues.
Exactly the reason I did it!^
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
How pathetic that someone would have to put up with all that ***** just to get a couple of drinks.
Again, it was the principle of it. I had the time, so why not?
Originally Posted by UNITED959
a $5 cert is not worth the headache (to me).
Same here. It is not about the cert.
Originally Posted by l'etoile

As for the "call the police" issue, wouldn't have been too great if the agent decided to present it as, "I have someone here who I don't believe is of legal drinking age who is badgering me for free alcohol coupons."

I do believe lucky is indeed very lucky with how this turned out.
Meh, again I have to disagree. The profile does not state you have to be 21, and my dad was there who would have had the drinks if that were the situation. I see no reason that parents cannot collect chits on their kids behalf when they are entitled to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.