Wiki Posts
Search

Tight Connection at ORD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All of Them
Cool Tight Connection at ORD

I have a 1hr. connection in O'hare arriving from Vancouver. I checked with the airline and I will have to go through customs and re-check my bag in. Any tips or sugestions that could speed up this process would be greatly appreciated. I think i'm arriving at Terminal 5 and going to Terminal 1
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What time of day do you get in? Assuming there are no delays it's definitely possible, but VERY tight.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:52 pm

Are you flying on UA metal? On YVR-ORD, you'll be cleared in Vancouver, not Chicago. Thus, your flight will arrive at Terminal 1, and the one hour connection will be plenty of time.

Examples: http://www.ua2go.com/flifo/FlightSum...=5&Check=Check

This rechecking of the bag stuff sounds like nonsense to me, but I've never checked a bag from Canada so I have no firsthand experience.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:52 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
If possible, I would never do a domestic connection <75 minutes or so.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

I arrive at 5am...My plane leaves at like 11pm so security is closed. This might be a stupid question but If i missed my flight, will i have to pay for another one or will i be rebooked for free????
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bl540611
I arrive at 5am...My plane leaves at like 11pm so security is closed. This might be a stupid question but If i missed my flight, will i have to pay for another one or will i be rebooked for free????
Nope, they should put you on the next connecting flight that's open. Where are you connecting to?
Old Jun 30, 2007, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Providence
Old Jun 30, 2007, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Mostly depends on how long it takes to get your checked bag. Last time, it took me about an hour to get out of Terminal 5. Took about 15 minutes to clear immigration, then waited about 45-50 minutes for the luggage. Customs took only a few minutes. Then re-check the bag and hop on the train to Terminal 1. Deplaning to new gate was about 1 hour 15 minutes.

But it wasn't 5 am...
Old Jun 30, 2007, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by blort
Are you flying on UA metal? On YVR-ORD, you'll be cleared in Vancouver, not Chicago. Thus, your flight will arrive at Terminal 1, and the one hour connection will be plenty of time.

Examples: http://www.ua2go.com/flifo/FlightSum...=5&Check=Check

This rechecking of the bag stuff sounds like nonsense to me, but I've never checked a bag from Canada so I have no firsthand experience.

You are correct, all flights (even AC and others) that leave YVR to the U.S., clear Customs/Immigration in YVR.

The bag rechecking thing will not occur in this case. If you came from another place in Canada and connected in YVR then you would have to get your bag (in YVR), go through Customs, then "recheck" it back in (bag tag already on, you just have to claim it to go through Customs then put it back on the conveyor).
Old Jun 30, 2007, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
I'm agreeing with 1K_From_SNA on this one - I think the agent that told you about the Terminal 5 arrival and baggage recheck has never flown to/from Canada.

To the OP: Just to be sure, can you tell us the name of your carrier?

The only possible exception I can think of is an international carrier that is operating YVR-ORD-somewhere else. I used to fly a Royal Air Maroc flight from YUL to JFK that continued to Morocco, and the (few) departing pax at JFK would have to clear customs in NY.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Well, maybe not!!!

I checked schedules, and the overnight from YVR-ORD is UA 1206. According to united.com, UA1206 arrived this morning (30 June) at Gate M10! (The same flight tomorrow morning is shown as arriving in Terminal 1.)

I guess when the OP said in Post #4 that "security was closed"... could he have meant that YVR customs closes before departure of this flight? Maybe only on certain nights? Does the Customs service give their YVR staff an early night off on Fridays?

Just seems strange...
Old Jun 30, 2007, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Carrier: UA
I checked myself and customs pre-clearence to the US isn’t open at 11pm at night at YVR.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 4:30 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Also keep in mind that you'll have to re-clear TSA when you enter Terminal 1, since the train system at ORD is outside of the sterile area. If you can't use the elite security line, that could add some more time.

Perhaps bad form, but run (or at least hurry) when you deplane so that you're at the head of the immigration queue...

The obvious advice, of course, is not to check a bag, as that will significantly increase the chance that you'll make this connection. Otherwise, I doubt you'll make it.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 7:48 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Personally, I'd schedule the later connection then try to standby for the earlier flight (providing the loads are not historically too high).
Old Jul 14, 2007, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by gary_nj
I checked schedules, and the overnight from YVR-ORD is UA 1206. According to united.com, UA1206 arrived this morning (30 June) at Gate M10! (The same flight tomorrow morning is shown as arriving in Terminal 1.)

I guess when the OP said in Post #4 that "security was closed"... could he have meant that YVR customs closes before departure of this flight? Maybe only on certain nights? Does the Customs service give their YVR staff an early night off on Fridays?
I actually did the YVR-ORD red-eye last Friday, and sure enough, no pre-clearance. Just checked in for the flight at YVR and walked onto the plane, then arrived at Terminal 5 at ORD and cleared C&I there.

We ended up pushing back about 25 minutes late at YVR, but arrived just after 5am in Chicago. I was outside Terminal 5 by 5:30am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.